The truth why no key west

Cruisegirl6

There are 3 piers for cruise ships.

Outer Mole (the Navy pier)

Pier B (in front of the Westin Resort)

Mallory Square Pier

Last week, I was viewing the web cam and saw 3 ships in port, using all three piers.

If you like getting off the ship and strolling through ports, try to avoid Key West on 3 cruise ship days... miserably crowded.

What statistical analysis did you use to reach this conclusion?

If there are fewer tourists of all modes of transportation there would be fewer t-shirt shops.

The statistical analysis of supply and demand / common sense. Just assume all cruise ships stopped going to KW, do you think the number of t-shirt shops would stay the same or would some close and/or go out of business due to less demand? If half of the cruise ships stopped going would you think ALL of the existing t-shops would be able to stay in business? I don't think so...

I'm not campaigning for no cruise ships, fewer would be good... especially on those 3 ship days.

The statistical analysis of supply and demand / common sense. Just assume all cruise ships stopped going to KW, do you think the number of t-shirt shops would stay the same or would some close and/or go out of business due to less demand? If half of the cruise ships stopped going would you think ALL of the existing t-shops would be able to stay in business? I don't think so...

I'm not campaigning for no cruise ships, fewer would be good... especially on those 3 ship days.

How many cruise ships visit Key West each week?

I doubt that it's enough to keep any t-shirt shops in business 365 days a year.

Without the traffic from cruise ships Hemingway's home might have to close.

As much as I would love to see less of our tacky t-shirt shops, fact is, cruise ships are their worst customers. I was just on Duval last night and the shops were packed...no cruise ships in port. The majority of our money spending tourism is in our hotels and vacation rentals, not on cruise ships.

I have a good friend who owns a shop downtown (not t-shirt). She has told me time and time again she doesn't go out of her way for cruise ship tourists because from her experience, they are cheap. Not trying to insult anyone, but it is what it is. Most people on short cruises just don't spend money on much other than alcohol. She did say, though, it depends on the cruise line and ship. But, the majority that vsit here are not the spending types.

As much as I would love to see less of our tacky t-shirt shops, fact is, cruise ships are their worst customers. I was just on Duval last night and the shops were packed...no cruise ships in port. The majority of our money spending tourism is in our hotels and vacation rentals, not on cruise ships.

I have a good friend who owns a shop downtown (not t-shirt). She has told me time and time again she doesn't go out of her way for cruise ship tourists because from her experience, they are cheap. Not trying to insult anyone, but it is what it is. Most people on short cruises just don't spend money on much other than alcohol. She did say, though, it depends on the cruise line and ship. But, the majority that vsit here are not the spending types.

I've been in business my entire life and have repeatedly dealt with idealistic do-gooders that believe all you have to do is pass a law and it fixes everything. Or if they block the big mall with their box stores or Walmart from coming in it will keep their town quaint and righteous in the hands of a few businesses with an entitlement attitude.

People who want fewer or no cruise ships in their quaint little port are no different. They look for a type of customer that annoys them to blame them for a business they don't like and generally assumes things will be better without the unwashed. It used to be military bases or even college students, now people are actually offended by a t-shirt shop.

Using business logic and common sense, I would be willing to bet the majority, or at least a very big percentage of the visitors to the Hemingway House and the Truman Little White House are from cruise ships. When you only have a few hours in port you have to hit the highlights and skip the t-shirt shopping.

And how do you know all those tacky t-shirt shops are not just laundering drug money? I know the signs of an unprofitable business when I see one and when I'm in Key West I always notice how there is no one in these shops with bored and forlorn looking employees.

To say all cruise ship guests are cheap and only spend time and money in t-shirt shops is very short sighted and very wrong.

I've been in business my entire life and have repeatedly dealt with idealistic do-gooders that believe all you have to do is pass a law and it fixes everything. Or if they block the big mall with their box stores or Walmart from coming in it will keep their town quaint and righteous in the hands of a few businesses with an entitlement attitude.

People who want fewer or no cruise ships in their quaint little port are no different. They look for a type of customer that annoys them to blame them for a business they don't like and generally assumes things will be better without the unwashed. It used to be military bases or even college students, now people are actually offended by a t-shirt shop.

Using business logic and common sense, I would be willing to bet the majority, or at least a very big percentage of the visitors to the Hemingway House and the Truman Little White House are from cruise ships. When you only have a few hours in port you have to hit the highlights and skip the t-shirt shopping.

And how do you know all those tacky t-shirt shops are not just laundering drug money? I know the signs of an unprofitable business when I see one and when I'm in Key West I always notice how there is no one in these shops with bored and forlorn looking employees.

To say all cruise ship guests are cheap and only spend time and money in t-shirt shops is very short sighted and very wrong.

I'm pretty sure I did not say all. In fact, I'm certain of it. :rolleyes:

My wife also happens to run her own business and is involved with advertising for local businesses. The fact is, cruise ship tourists do not go on cruises to spend a lot of money in ports (most do not). The simple dynamics of a cruise, visiting several ports and the main focus of the vacation being on the ship, means less effort to spend money in any one particular port. That's just the way it is, like it or not. And my shop owner friend, who by the way has opened more of her shops outside of Key West, including Myrtle Beach, has plenty of experience to know who is the more lucrative buyer.

Ref t-shirt shops, I have no problem using the word tacky. In fact, it is better than the word I would like to use. Any shop that hangs t-shirts in the front window that say "F... You, You F...ing F..." (letters u, c, and k removed for this post) is tacky. And yes, did you also happen to take notice of who is running those shops, and that some don't even have a cash register? Yes, there is money laundering going on, and yes, they get busted all the time.

I'm pretty sure I did not say all. In fact, I'm certain of it. :rolleyes:

My wife also happens to run her own business and is involved with advertising for local businesses. The fact is, cruise ship tourists do not go on cruises to spend a lot of money in ports (most do not). The simple dynamics of a cruise, visiting several ports and the main focus of the vacation being on the ship, means less effort to spend money in any one particular port. That's just the way it is, like it or not. And my shop owner friend, who by the way has opened more of her shops outside of Key West, including Myrtle Beach, has plenty of experience to know who is the more lucrative buyer.

Ref t-shirt shops, I have no problem using the word tacky. In fact, it is better than the word I would like to use. Any shop that hangs t-shirts in the front window that say "F... You, You F...ing F..." (letters u, c, and k removed for this post) is tacky. And yes, did you also happen to take notice of who is running those shops, and that some don't even have a cash register? Yes, there is money laundering going on, and yes, they get busted all the time.

Again, you, your wife and your friend are using broad generalizations about and entire group of people that is of no single socio-economic class. I think the bottom line is Key West just ain't what it used to be and the residents are looking for someone to blame. In reality, Key West is getting pretty run down and trashy and it's not because of cruise ships.

I did notice you didn't address my points about tens of thousand of cruise ship guests that visit the Hemingway House and the Truman Little White House every year. What about those folks? Do they inconveniently not fit into your ideology?

I wonder how many residents of Daytona are wishing they didn't have the raceway. I mean all these hoosiers do is spend money on alcohol, tacky t-shirts and fast food.

Again, you, your wife and your friend are using broad generalizations about and entire group of people that is of no single socio-economic class. I think the bottom line is Key West just ain't what it used to be and the residents are looking for someone to blame. In reality, Key West is getting pretty run down and trashy and it's not because of cruise ships.

I did notice you didn't address my points about tens of thousand of cruise ship guests that visit the Hemingway House and the Truman Little White House every year. What about those folks? Do they inconveniently not fit into your ideology?

I wonder how many residents of Daytona are wishing they didn't have the raceway. I mean all these hoosiers do is spend money on alcohol, tacky t-shirts and fast food.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to respond to my posts in such a condescending manner. If you want to have this discussion, please do so as though we were face to face and with a little more mutual respect.

I did not mention the Hemingway House, etc, because I do not know. As a local, I do not frequent the attractions. But regardless, by mentioning those, you are changing the point. I was responding to a comment made, saying the t-shirt shops would suffer. My response was to FSUNole, not you, and their comment was about t-shirt shops. That was the point I was going on.

All I know Is

Ive never been to Key west and would like to visit while on a cruise.

Not all cruisers want to go to the beach everyday.

You would love Key West. Just take some time to get off Duval St. See the other thread regarding Conch Train vs Trolley.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to respond to my posts in such a condescending manner. If you want to have this discussion, please do so as though we were face to face and with a little more mutual respect.

I did not mention the Hemingway House, etc, because I do not know. As a local, I do not frequent the attractions. But regardless, by mentioning those, you are changing the point. I was responding to a comment made, saying the t-shirt shops would suffer. My response was to FSUNole, not you, and their comment was about t-shirt shops. That was the point I was going on.

Whatever...I've seen it many times over all over the country. The elitists want to manipulate contemporary progress, business and life in general but when the unintended consequences result negatively they look for other to blame.

http://conchscooter.blogspot.com/2011/10/walmart-in-rockland.html

Florissouri, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 25 years moved north a bit (sold my home before the economy/real estate so much downward and got a high price for my home at that time thank goodness. I been to Key West on weekends when I lived down there, so for me also, its like taking me back home. I love the out island its better than Key West and I like to see them take off Nassau off too and go somewhere else or another sea day be nice to.

FiremedT- The beaches in Ft. Lauderdale are very good but the islands they beautiful. You not see clear blue water in Ft. Lauderdale where you can actually see the fish swimming and see their colors. Since the past few hurricanes the beach has got narrower. Its very nice compared to the other beaches in the NE but certainly can't compare to even Carnivals out island. :)

goldadj- Hi Stu....reconsider :) We may go on her again later in the year around October since I love that island.

Mermaid72 I also do not understand what you are talking about.

Actually reconsidering doing the Fascination May 7.

The Cruise Critic article mentions Ecstasy also. I wonder if the 3/30 cruise will still go to Key West or change to Little Stirrup Cay. I was looking forward to Key West since I've never been, but I guess the beach will be good too :D

Would the letters for Ecstasy go out already too if it was being changed?

ETA: Nevermind - my itinerary is blank compared to this morning when it said Key West.

Archived