Mid-May cruise feedback request

mcat12

We are traveling on our first Alaskan cruise mid-May of this year. I have spent a lot of time reading on these forums and feel good about decisions we have made to make this a memorable trip for my husband & myself.

In Ketchikan we are taking a flight seeing tour with Island Wings early in the morning. I am afraid that this will be cancelled due to weather and I don't have a back up plan. Any ideas?

In Juneau we are doing whale watching with Harv & Marv, we are taking the ship tour of the Tracy Arm (it is understood that we may end up in Endicott instead), plan on fish & chips at a pub in Victoria, and have rented a car in Skagway. Does anyone have advice for our drive to the Yukon? Must see sights or stops to not miss along the way?

Also, what camera lens would you recommend I bring for my dslr? I have a photog friend, so have access to many. Is my kit lens going to be good enough (18-105)? I'm thinking I'll need at minimal 200, but wondering if a 300 zoom would be better.

As far as clothing goes, we plan to bring:

The basics--socks, undergarments, etc

Waterproof hiking boots (1pp)

Northface fleece (1pp)

Northface waterproof hooded windbreaker (1pp)

Dress slacks (2-DH)

Khakis (1-DH)

Dress shirt (2-DH)

Ties (2-DH)

Dress shoes (black DH)

Wool Sweater

Dress (4-me 2 casual, 2 formal)

Black pants (1-me)

Dress shoes (me-black, cream)

Jeans (2pp-wear on flight)

Long sleeve t (3pp)

Sweatshirt (1pp-wear on flight)

Winter hat (1pp)

Gloves (1pp)

Sneakers (1pp-wear on flight)

Long johns (1pp)

Shorts (2pp)

Short sleeve t (2pp)

Is this too much? Not enough? Did I forget a necessity?

We are also spending 2 days before and 1 day after in Seattle.

I think those are my only questions right now. I appreciate any input! :)

You may want to check the camera and photography board as well, as if I remember correctly, there was a discussion about this on that board recently and the consensus was a zoom up to 400 would be the best, but up to 300 would work just fine. Zooms up to 400 are very expensive, can be very bulky/heavy, and tend to have their own carrying case as well, so keep this in mind. I did verify this with my local camera shop and have decided to stick with my zoom that goes to 300. Something else you may want to consider is a wide angle lens as well for scenery shots like glaciers and landscapes, but this would truly be a personal preference.

We are traveling on our first Alaskan cruise mid-May of this year. I have spent a lot of time reading on these forums and feel good about decisions we have made to make this a memorable trip for my husband & myself.

In Ketchikan we are taking a flight seeing tour with Island Wings early in the morning. I am afraid that this will be cancelled due to weather and I don't have a back up plan. Any ideas?

In Juneau we are doing whale watching with Harv & Marv, we are taking the ship tour of the Tracy Arm (it is understood that we may end up in Endicott instead), plan on fish & chips at a pub in Victoria, and have rented a car in Skagway. Does anyone have advice for our drive to the Yukon? Must see sights or stops to not miss along the way?

Also, what camera lens would you recommend I bring for my dslr? I have a photog friend, so have access to many. Is my kit lens going to be good enough (18-105)? I'm thinking I'll need at minimal 200, but wondering if a 300 zoom would be better.

As far as clothing goes, we plan to bring:

The basics--socks, undergarments, etc

Waterproof hiking boots (1pp) unless you are hiking on a glacier your waterproofed tennis shoes will be good enough.

Northface fleece (1pp)

Northface waterproof hooded windbreaker (1pp)

Dress slacks (2-DH)

Khakis (1-DH)

Dress shirt (2-DH)

Ties (2-DH)

Dress shoes (black DH)

Wool Sweater

Dress (4-me 2 casual, 2 formal) you can cut back on the dresses. the dress code is more casual in alaska and no-one will remember what you have worn before. cover up the casual dresses with a shawl or scarve and acceserise differently.

Black pants (1-me)

Dress shoes (me-black, cream)

Jeans (2pp-wear on flight)

Long sleeve t (3pp)

Sweatshirt (1pp-wear on flight)

Winter hat (1pp)

Gloves (1pp)

Sneakers (1pp-wear on flight)

Long johns (1pp)

Shorts (2pp) no need for these in may

Short sleeve t (2pp) leave these home as well. it will be chilly outdoors and on the ship

Is this too much? Not enough? Did I forget a necessity?

We are also spending 2 days before and 1 day after in Seattle.

I think those are my only questions right now. I appreciate any input! :)

your list looks very good. of course it is wonderful too go formal if you want but you can cut back on the dresses with no problem. comfortable shoes for walking are very important. you will find wonderful clothing in the shops for very reasonable prices. sales will be everywhere. have a great time.

Personally, I think the sweatshirt is unnecessary. I'd be more inclined to pack another fleece -- lighter weight, more squishable.

Take a couple of pairs of good wool-blend socks each.

I agree with DustyRoad that 4 dresses is 2 too many.

As for the wool sweater, that is a redundancy of the fleece :) If you want an extra layer, consider a cashmere sweater -- lightweight, warm, takes up nearly zero room. Buy one at a thrift store, so you don't care if it gets wrecked ;) The same advice for your DH.

I'd take a pair of shorts for each of you, not 2 pairs. Instead of 2 pairs of jeans each, I'd consider a pair of "technical" type convertible pants, such as Cabela or REI or North Face offer. (The legs zip off to turn the pants into shorts, AND they can be washed in the sink and hung to dry -- and they are quick drying)

You could benefit from packing less, and looking at what is available in each of your ports. Especially if you do a little laundry. I go for at least 3 weeks and my packing is less. Depends on you, and if you can manage your luggage etc- the only one you have to worry about is yourself. :)

Your timeframe will just about be guaranteed to cruise Endicott. If concerned about funds, this add on tour- will be very similar to your cruise ship transit. If this choice has the option, instead for a flight, it may be a better use of time, especially with only one flight chosen.

Early morning flights can and do get canceled, there is more of factor of not knowing the weather- where later flights have the information easily obtained by previous flights. I frequently book these, as I make good use of my port times, and probably have averaged 30% cancelations, including last year

You have a car rental for Skagway? What was your priority for that selection? What do you hope to see and do? It is one road, that you drive, stop when and where you want, totally up to you where. It is a lot of scenery, different depending on direction, it is "necessary" in my opinion for first timers to purchase Murray's Guide, available online. Gives you details about the drive. Allow 5 hours.

Thank you all for your feedback. I was planning on bringing the wool sweater for DH to wear at dinner one night over a dress shirt that he has worn already a different night--for a different look. I think I will look into a lighter sweater that will take up less space, thank you for that idea.

BudgetQueen--as far as the drive, I really want to go to Emerald Lake and stop at the 'rock garden'--can't think of its name--but where people stack rocks on previous passengers rocks. Cheesy, yes, but I think it will be a cool site to see. :) I will look into getting the guide to help me plan this out further, thank you!!

I will also see if we can find convertable pants. Any suggestions where to find these? I don't believe I've ever seen them at Dicks Sporting, maybe Bass Pro Shop? Or do you have an online retailer that you'd suggest?

I'm going to borrow an 18-300 lens from my friend--it looks like that will be a good choice after reading the Photography forum.

Thank you all so much!!

You might check out LLBean for the pants. I think they're on sale at the moment.

I hate to sound self-involved, but it's doubtful that anyone on the ship will notice what you're wearing. Everyone's busy having a good time.

You might think about using the ship's laundry once or twice and/or washing out a few things yourself.

I will also see if we can find convertable pants. Any suggestions where to find these? I don't believe I've ever seen them at Dicks Sporting, maybe Bass Pro Shop? Or do you have an online retailer that you'd suggest?

Sorry, can't help with that, but I'm pretty sure the brands I mentioned have websites. I shop ebay and thrift stores ;)

I don't think you will need shorts at all.

I wear very good walking shoes with non-slip soles and haven't taken hiking boots to Alaska for over 20 years.

My brand of choice for shoes is SAS brand (San Antonio Shoe Company) made in USA in a style for women called Liberty.

I've seen lots of folks slip and fall on cruises due to wearing the wrong shoes for their situation.

REI both in stores and online as 'technical' pants as does LL Bean, Bass Pro, Academy and other such stores. They are not expensive and weigh much less than jeans. Jeans are hard to dry once they get wet.

I do my own hand washing when traveling and am closer to Budget Queen on how much I take than to the average cruise passenger.

I have one really ugly 3 layer water proof jacket that I haul to Alaska. One of the inner layers is a zip out fleece jacket that can be woen on its own and the other is an outer storm hood that really keeps me dry. This riot of a jacket (in signal yellow) has been provided by my employer from some of the travel I do for work and is the sort of thing that lacks completely on style but works. This jacket gets me a lot of respect from ship's crew and when I am on shore as it looks professional.

Most passengers pack and haul too much stuff and don't wear a good deal of it. Cruise ships are far less dressy than the brochure photos, most especially in Alaska/early season.

your list looks very good. of course it is wonderful too go formal if you want but you can cut back on the dresses with no problem. comfortable shoes for walking are very important. you will find wonderful clothing in the shops for very reasonable prices. sales will be everywhere. have a great time.

Sales... some one mention that magical word???

We are sailing end of May and have 4 days in Vancouver before we sail. I am considering buying the warm clothes we will need in Vancouver. Coming from Sydney, Australia i doubt i would be able to purchase anything warm enough for us at a price we could afford!

cheers from Down Under

shazz

BudgetQueen--as far as the drive, I really want to go to Emerald Lake and stop at the 'rock garden'--can't think of its name--but where people stack rocks on previous passengers rocks. Cheesy, yes, but I think it will be a cool site to see. :) I will look into getting the guide to help me plan this out further, thank you!!

I'm going to borrow an 18-300 lens from my friend--it looks like that will be a good choice after reading the Photography forum.

Thank you all so much!!

mcat,

If you can get that 18-300mm from your friend that'll work well for you. I carry everything from an 11-16mm to a 150-500mm, but then again photography is one of my primary goals...and I'm a little crazy:D.

As for the pants, I guess I can't speak to women's clothing at Dick's, but they usually have at least two brands of convertible pants on the men's side - Columbia gear, and another (I can't remember right now.) I have some from both Bass Pro (least expensive), Eddie Bauer, and REI (most expensive, but my favorite!). LL Bean, Eastern Mountain Sports are other good option with robust online sites, I hope that helps. Since your in NC like us, depending on where you are Academy Sports is rolling into the Charlotte area big time, and Gander Mountain is another option.

For the drive into the Yukon, we enjoyed the Carcross Desert (a bit like your rock stacking - not a long stop, but fun, and right down the road from Emerald Lake). We also enjoyed Carcross itself. Not very big, but a neat little town, and good ice cream in the General Store. There are plenty of scenic pulloffs to get out, stretch your legs, look for Mountain Goats, or even bear watch right from the road - if you're lucky!

L.J.

Sorry, can't help with that, but I'm pretty sure the brands I mentioned have websites. I shop ebay and thrift stores ;)

Us too ..... not so much ebay for clothes because I like to try them on but Goodwill and other thrift stores are our first shopping choice :)

We are also on an Alaska cruise the third week of May. I am thinking that I will take a few hand warmers with me...the kind of packets that you can buy this time of year....they're small and work very well if you hate having frozen hands. My hands tend to get colder than anything else. I would think that now would be the time to buy a few and set them aside for your cruise. They're great to slip in a pocket and just slip your hands in and out as needed! Home Depot sells them, and I'm sure places like REI, etc., do also.

Also, regarding the clothing, you can buy a small spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle release to take on the cruise. Spray on wrinkled clothing and smooth and it releases wrinkles. Gets a little more mileage out of clothing. I buy it in the grocery store in the aisle with laundry detergent.

Also, regarding the clothing, you can buy a small spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle release to take on the cruise. Spray on wrinkled clothing and smooth and it releases wrinkles. Gets a little more mileage out of clothing. I buy it in the grocery store in the aisle with laundry detergent.

You can pretty much get the same results by hanging your garment on the door, while taking a shower.

I do my own hand washing when traveling and am closer to Budget Queen on how much I take than to the average cruise passenger.

I have one really ugly 3 layer water proof jacket that I haul to Alaska. One of the inner layers is a zip out fleece jacket that can be woen on its own and the other is an outer storm hood that really keeps me dry. This riot of a jacket (in signal yellow) has been provided by my employer from some of the travel I do for work and is the sort of thing that lacks completely on style but works. This jacket gets me a lot of respect from ship's crew and when I am on shore as it looks professional.

Yes our Alaska "uniforms" :) :) Mine is also pretty darn ugly, faded but works perfectly, quick drying and warm. Nobody in Alaska cares- a significant closeness I have with this superb practical people. :)

Also- Penny- ZOTE soap- another pack light treasure. :)

Yes our Alaska "uniforms" :) :) Mine is also pretty darn ugly, faded but works perfectly, quick drying and warm. Nobody in Alaska cares- a significant closeness I have with this superb practical people. :)

Also- Penny- ZOTE soap- another pack light treasure. :)

I use the shampoo the hotel or ship provides to wash out "stuff" -- is there a significant benefit to the ZOTE stuff?

PS -- good to "see" you around, BudgetQueen, you seemed to be MIA for a while!

I appreciate any input! :)

Definitely take a 300mm. If you can not borrow one and can not justify purchasing one - you can rent one.

DON

I use the shampoo the hotel or ship provides to wash out "stuff" -- is there a significant benefit to the ZOTE stuff?

PS -- good to "see" you around, BudgetQueen, you seemed to be MIA for a while!

You ever notice how much rinsing out the shampoo takes? Not the case with Zote, rinses out perfectly with little effort. Is a bar of soap in the $1 range. I have gotten it at Walmart, very common in Hispanic markets. I know Penny shaves off pieces, my bar just stays in my suitcase. :)

I was in a bad car accident mid December, still in Rehab and nonambulatory.

Oh geez Budget Queen, I was hoping you'd say "I was cruising around Australia and New Zealand" :(

I'm very sorry to hear of your accident, and send you my heartfelt wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. It is wonderful to see you back posting.

Thank you, kindly, for your words of encouragement.

Archived