Does Carnival have the right to open checked luggage?

Arcticcat

Can they go through your checked luggage? If I have locks on my luggage can they open or brake the locks off?

If they decide they want to look in your luggage and it is locked, they will call you to the "naughty room" and have you open it. I don't think they have sunk as low as the TSA and are breaking off locks.

Kevin C

Here is the contract you agree to.

All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest's baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

Can they go through your checked luggage? If I have locks on my luggage can they open or break the locks off?
Yes, they can go through your checked bags. However, if your bags are locked you will be notified to come and unlock them, should security want to inspect their contents.

You would be called to the Naughty Room and made to unlock it for inspection. If they thought they say something dangerous - I doubt your bag would even make it onto the ship. I believe that security takes precedence over privacy and am glad for it!

As others have said if your bags are locked you go to the naughty room only if they feel you have something that needs to be inspected.

I have locked mine for years after I watched port employees kick them around like a football while loading them in to the stalls / bins.

I have locked mine for years after I watched port employees kick them around like a football while loading them in to the stalls / bins.

Not to mention that Carnival warns you (right in the same FAQ where they 'suggest' you leave your bags unlocked :rolleyes: ) that the port baggage handlers are not employed by the cruise line, so if your stuff is missing when you go to unpack, don't come crying to them.

Yes, locked bags can still be broken into by a determined thief. Doesn't mean I have to make it any easier for them.

I always lock my suitcase and it has an aluminum frame - no zippers. There are some zippered suitcases that are not so easy to defeat.

Carnival absolutely will not break locks - they have no authority to do so, and the low bidder screening company doesn't either. They do have every right to inspect the luggage. If locked, you will need to be present. Carnival used to tell you to lock your suitcase because they aren't responsible for it until it is on the ship. They still aren't responsible until it is on the ship and even at that, their liability is minimal.

TSA is under Homeland Security.

Cruise lines provide cruises, not transportation so are different from airplanes in that regard. Also, most planes can't float and cruise food is definitely better.

Rule of thumb- Checked bags AND bags left in the hallway for debarkation are subject to someone going through them, for official and unofficial purposes. Carry-on what is of value... carry it off too. Use your safe. Personal items in bags??? I'd imagine the screeners have seen it all... probably don't bat an eye unless it looks like a prohibited item on the scanner and maybe not even then. My extension cord always gets through although it is a "grey area" item. On this last cruise, one of my bags was delayed and it seemed as though it had been opened... I surmised that it was because it contained an item that looked like a rum runner (but wasn't). So, there are some odds that they will want to open up any case that looks squirrely. Not always, but it happens.

Those who say they do not have the right to open your bags are wrong, and yes, they can legally break the lock if they feel necessary. That does not mean they will and as most have said, they will most likely have you open the bag. But the fact is, they do still have the right to do so when that bag is on their property. The law would support them in that case.

On my first cruise, I bought a cuban cigar that I was planning to smoke prior to returning to the US (since its illegal to bring them back here)

Anyway I forgot I smoke it and didnt want to trash it cuz it was kind of expensive so I packed it. Had no issues getting of the ship, or going through airport security, but when I got home and opened my bag there was a nice little note from the TSA saying my back had been searched, so I thought I was out of luck, but then I realized they did not take the cigar! They just searched my bag for god knows what and didnt take my illegal cigar!!

I was pretty excited and enjoyed smoking it that much more a few days later!

Archived