Caribbean princess ok?

remydiva

Technically, they are not sister ships. Caribbean Princess is in a class of herself. Hybrid of Grand Class and Grand Plus Class (Crown and Beyond).

I hated the Crown Princess.

:confused:Are the balcony cabins on the Caribbean Princess the same size as on the Emerald? I know the balconies cabins--> inside the cabin...are smaller on the Grand Princess. I hope the Caribbean Princess has a larger area inside the balcony cabins. Anyone have photos of a balcony cabin on the CB?:confused:

In reading various posts about propulsion problems, soot coming from stacks, closed decks due to grime and soot, late getting to ports due to ? Propulsion problems? and even some cancelled cruises on her last year, I ask this question from someone who has been on her recently ( i was on her a few years ago with no problems) or is in the know..

IS the Caribbean Princess OK ?

I am looking at booking on her for a summer cruise over in Europe and since I want to add extra time on our own afterwards, would like to know as much about her present situation now.

I know cancellation insurance will take care of most costs should a cruise get cancelled..I am just asking.:confused:

Oh, MY! I'm glad to hear people refuting this and hope it's not true-it's our son's next assignment (OP-he'll be joining you on the Caribbean Princess in Europe this summer). Was it in dry dock recently, I hope?

WOW….and some posters can be very judgmental and condescending. Please do not dismiss other people’s posts off hand. We have been long time Princess Cruisers, and I have been a member of these boards too long to sit back and watch others flippantly disregard others posts as “Whining”

Our second cruise on the CB where I referred to engine and stabilizer problems were not rumor or fictions, if they were I highly doubt the Captain would have announced; 1 – his apologies that Due to the need to reduce speed as a result of engine problems we would leave port earlier than planned. 2 – Once again, The Captain apologized for the alarm going off very early in the morning (somewhere between 4 – 5) due to a loud BOOM, which was a false alarm. The sound we heard was a result of an engine problem he confirmed at the CC luncheon 3 – Captain again apologized for the lateness and very brief amount of time in Bermuda due to engine trouble.

I seriously doubt the Captain would have been making these announcements and then going ahead and compensating all passengers with a $250 OBC for their inconvenience, had the problem not truly existed with the ship.

As I said in my post…..did we let these problems upset our cruise? No, we were still on a cruise, something a lot of people can’t do. It’s a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew; however I will bear these issues in mind when looking at options of ships to choose. Princess is always our line of choice.

Many people that chime in are whiners, complainers, and people that generally complain about anything! .

Hi Pam,

I think when the Captain tells you there is an engine problem you can be pretty sure he's checked the gas tank.....but than again if you're like me and it's in the Caribbean and have just left Senior Frogs, my first thought is PIRATES!!! :eek:

As for the CB's propulsion system, whenever a ship is delayed coming into port, people automatically post that there must be something wrong with the ship, totally ignoring that a ship can be delayed due to currents, wind, seas, fog, etc. Occasionally there is a mechanical problem but most of the time, people jump to the wrong conclusion but that's what others remember. Just like your car: you are far more likely to be late due to traffic or weather than a flat tire, engine breakdown, etc.

First time on the CB. Cruised on Emerald twice. It was wonderful. No issues whatsoever. Great food, service, weather (seas a little choppy but very sunny and warm). Ship was clean. Saw nothing to complain about.

First time in Crown Grill and it was excellent. Would definitely book again.

We had balcony cabin. Friends had a mini suite. Loved their mini suite. Would be great to have on a cruise longer than 7 days.

WOW….and some posters can be very judgmental and condescending. Please do not dismiss other people’s posts off hand. We have been long time Princess Cruisers, and I have been a member of these boards too long to sit back and watch others flippantly disregard others posts as “Whining”

Thank you Nymue for your post, as a past and future cruiser on the CB I was glad to hear your report. As a regular poster, I too am concerned that these boards can be diminished with judgemental and condescending posters, they just at times seem to get away with it! I guess we should be vigilant in reporting this type of behavior our moderators! Again thank you for your post!

Ken

I was on the 2/16 cruise and we had no issues with the ship.

The only issues were with mother nature who caused us to miss Princess Cays due to high winds and waves but we got 6 additional hours in Curacao.:D

We had gale force winds and 4-10 foot waves between Bahamas and Curacao but it did not bother the ship.

Been on this ship 5 times. First time was 2004 and the last time was 2012 right after Sandy hit New York. Although our cruise was shorter because of the delays from the storm, the cruise itself was terrific. This crew and staff are the absolute best.

PS: I honestly believe they have best breads and pastries of anyone. The Crown Grill is amazing and their pub lunches are the best. Dining room staff are always attentive and go out of their way to make sure you are happy.

All this makes me wish I had another trip on the CB planned right now.

We've been on the the CB twice and both times had a wonderful cruise, however I'm anxious to see the respones here because we too are looking at a future TA cruise on her.

As I said, both cruises were great, but cruise number #2 was not without a lot of problems. We were several hours late into San Juan and only had 4 hours in Bermuda. The ship was having engine problems and lost stabilizers. The pools were closed the last two days due to the lack of stablizers. For several hours some guys were have fun seeing how far they could get tossed OUT of the pool by the waves IN the pool :eek: Yeah, it was that rocky on board!

We were with 2 other couples and decided at the last minute we would like to have diner in the steak house on the last formal night, at that point 2 nights away, however we were too late....booked solid. When Formal Night rolled around, second to last night, when we were rocking and rolling, we past the steak house and it was EMPTY! They said everyone cancelled do to being sea-sick from the loss of stablizers. Needless to say, we had a wonderful dinner there.

That was at least 5 years ago and it seems the ship has continued to have problems off and on since. Any situation is what you make of it, was there anything we could do about the problems they were having with the ship, No, could the crew, No. We were still on a cruise, on a beautiful ship, with wonderful service and great people....so yes, I still call it a great cruise. But when it comes to booking a next cruise I will consider it when I look at our options.

I may have been on this cruise, also. If I recall, we had 12 or 13 hours in San Juan in hopes of fixing the problem. I was disappointed in the 4 hours in Bermuda, because I love that island. Even though we were having problems, the cruise was still a great one! I think that the captain gave all of us $75 OBC. I was travelling with 5, so that was a nice little gift.

It does seem that the Caribbean Princess has had on and off problems with these issues.

I hope all is currently well on the ship.

Glad to hear people saying things are OK on CB, as we are on her shortly and want just a nice relaxing cruise. Picked her because of the number of sea days which are always relaxing. The last time we were on her 5 years ago our son got engaged on her. Always have pleasent memories of her and the fun we had. Hope to add more in April.

Going on the CB in a few weeks.......my first ever Princess cruise.....I take all the reviews with a grain of salt,because for the most part,it is only one's opinion....Granted some things can be backed up as facts,but guess I'll just see for myself..:)

So for now,I am just trying to absorb all the info I want to know about the ship since I just booked it.......not much time for research!

I have been on this ship several times, Dec. 2012 is the latest. The statement above is absolutely false. Where did you get it?:mad:

Pax et bonum,

Kevin

Not from one of the recent reviews. There's a lot of 4 & 5 star. The miniscule few negative reviews don't address any problems with the ship:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/princess-cruises/cl/

• 1 month later...

Probably someone knows about the changes they plan to make to CB... princess.com shows two different deck plans for CB: before and after April 26th, 2013. And the only difference I can see is in the cabin categories, e.g. balconies in the aft on the Riviera deck are BB now and will be BE as of April 26th. I thought they had plans of the 'handle' removal but it is in place on both plans. And what is more confusing, looks like the ship is sailing with passengers between now and April 26. Are they just reassigning categories without doing any actual work?

Probably someone knows about the changes they plan to make to CB... princess.com shows two different deck plans for CB: before and after April 26th, 2013. And the only difference I can see is in the cabin categories, e.g. balconies in the aft on the Riviera deck are BB now and will be BE as of April 26th. I thought they had plans of the 'handle' removal but it is in place on both plans. And what is more confusing, looks like the ship is sailing with passengers between now and April 26. Are they just reassigning categories without doing any actual work?

The changes to the deck plans are the re-categorization of room categories. There is no physical changes to the ship being done. If you review the deck plans for each of the Princess ships in the same timeframe.

No physical changes to the ship.

I am on her right now....in an aft cabin.....on baha floor 11... She is fine, has been on time and I have not smelled anything too bad, nor have I seen soot. It has been a great cruise... One night was rough ....night we left princess cay....other than that it has been good.

I am on her right now....in an aft cabin.....on baha floor 11... She is fine, has been on time and I have not smelled anything too bad, nor have I seen soot. It has been a great cruise... One night was rough ....night we left princess cay....other than that it has been good.

So there are waves though? ;)

• 6 months later...

We were on the CB August 4-16 for the British Isles Cruise. It was one of our best cruises so far. On time or early into every port, very good food all over the ship and one of the friendliest crews we have seen. The ship seemed to be in great shape.

We were on the CB August 4-16 for the British Isles Cruise. It was one of our best cruises so far. On time or early into every port, very good food all over the ship and one of the friendliest crews we have seen. The ship seemed to be in great shape.

Agree with your assessments (although I think our port times changed from what was originally published) - we were on the cruise right after you!

Archived