Cruise the Med..how to choose?

Lovetwocruz2009

My family (4 of us) are cruising on the Sunshine this July out of Barcelone for 12 days headed around Italy, etc. We wanted the longer cruise so we could see more plus arrive/depart in the same city for easier round-trip airfare. Just a question for all.....how are you going so inexpensively?? Our roundtrip airfare for all four of us was $5800 alone and that was bought right after Christmas. We have 2 rooms on the ship at a total cost of $500 (with insurance, of course).

We can't wait to go in July - there's so much to see. We are staying in Barcelona before and after the cruise.....and we are already talking about going back to Europe for our 2014 vacation, but on land.

On our Med cruise, we only arrived in one port one the scheduled day, and Monte Carlo and Venice were canceled outright; a number of people on our cruise got burned on privately booked tours and arrangements. I agree in that range, you can get some really good tours.

Air arrangements; we couldn't have had better connections than we got through Carnival, and that would probably be true through most reputable lines, plus they usually include transfers from airport to pier and back; invaluable if you don't speak the language - they are impossible to miss when you get off the plane after an overnight flight, and most flights to Europe will be overnight, and you'll get off the plane tired.

-John

Glad you were happy with the air provided by Carnival.

I have never,not once had to pay a private excursions in advance on any of our ports in the Med.The payment was always due at the end of the tour.I don't understand how people get burned if they don't have to pay in advance. I have never even had to pay a deposit.As far as flights go I wait for good deals on my Europe flights and have never paid more than $950.00 to get to any place in Europe and I travel to Europe every year..

Well, I hope I can find something better than the fares I seeing right now - $1,100 RT CVG to any London airport, (prefer Gatwick), is the lowest, but that is certainly better than the $1,400 price from last year. :D Will keep on looking...... Lucky me, last year used FF points, but this year I only have enough points for 1 ticket.

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. I think I will get out a blank notebook and start researching.

We love the water and would like to stop at a place that has a beautiful beach to swim, snorkel etc at least one day of the trip. Can you recommend a port for this?

We live in San Francisco Bay Area, would you recommend staying one or two nights pre & post trip?

Do we need to apply for a visa for any of the Med countries?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Did a Rome to Venice 10 nighter on Princess last Sept, great weather, low 80's and a month before the seasonal floods in Venice.......Med tours are different than Caribbean, as other posters have pointed out. Demographically, not many families, more older pax, at this time of year. Port intensive, lots of history, and beaches have a different "flavor" than Carib - expect to hear several different languages spoken, and more formality. Airfare can be a big chunk of the budget, search every airline and use FF miles/points if you can!

I have never,not once had to pay a private excursions in advance on any of our ports in the Med.The payment was always due at the end of the tour.I don't understand how people get burned if they don't have to pay in advance. I have never even had to pay a deposit.As far as flights go I wait for good deals on my Europe flights and have never paid more than $950.00 to get to any place in Europe and I travel to Europe every year..

I do not pay in advance with Caribbean tours and dont plan to start paying in advance with European ones.

If the ship docks we are there and if it doesnt not going to have spend time looking for refund.

Hi All,

We have booked the Epic for 2014 in Aug, because Carnival hasn't yet said what they are doing, once Carnival comes out we plan to check them out and would love to switch back to CCL. I have a fully refundable price for the Epic.

We are doing the Med for the first time and it will be our 25th wedding anniversary, I am so excited. We are going to fly to Paris for three days and then fly over to Barcelona and cruise from there, at least thats the plan for right now, we will see what Carnival puts out, soon I hope so we can adjust.

When is the best time to buy airfare to Europe? I look forward to all the tips everyone is posting, I am so excited!

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

they dont do enough research that is why. They feel that paying by credit card in advance is safer than carrying cash with them..which is foolish to worry about IMHO..so they go to the big online europe cruise tour booking places and pay for overpriced tours.

best thing to do is research and contact the tour op on your own, tell them what you want, negotiate a price and just pay them in cash at the end.

we travel with plenty of euro and never had a problem...the only problem we ever had was when we used an atm in venice...and that was just to get a little extra euro just in case...because we had plenty with us from home.

Although it's more expensive, we recently requested a brochure from Princess and they have a ton of European itineraries and some combined with land tours. My feeling on Europe is that it's a big trip and expense so when we do it, I'd like to make sure I'm maximizing the itinerary and getting the most value out of it. You can call Princess and request over the phone and we got the catalogue in a week.

i believe the 5k per person is a little over the top. We are currently booked on a Med cruise in June with Carnival. Our itinerary is just fine, as below

barcelona, monoca, france, florence italy, rome italy, malaga spain, lisbon portugal, and end in london england.

We are in an extended balcony on 8th floor, so regular balcony, obstructed, oceanview or inside all are that much cheaper. Our cruise total for the extended balcony

884 plus taxes 1042.67 per person 2085 for both of us

we purchased a future cruise certificate on last cruise so get 100 applied to our fare, plus a $200 OBC ( 200 rather than 100 as its a 12 night cruise) so we are down to 1885 for both of us total

we are flying from canada, and are flying on miles which costs us 700 as we have to pay taxes etc. total now at approx 2600.00 and we have our 12 night cruise in extended balcony, plus airfare to europe and back

once off the cruise, we are flying to holland for two nights, cost is $80 per person. We leave holland are are going to romania cost 110 per person. total now 3000 for the cruise, airfare, holland( staying with friends) romania ( staying with friends) We then fly back to london to return home which is another 90 per person one way.

3200 is giving us a 12 night cruise, airfare, flights to holland, then to romania, 8 additional nights in europe lucky enough not to have to pay for hotel. the other expense will be the prenight before teh cruise, and we can do that through carnival for 140 per person which is ground transportation airport to hotel, hotel for one night, hotel to ship next day, and hot breakfast for two

3500.00 total thus far, and if you remove our extra expenses due to staying afterwards, 3000.00

for two people, add to that what you want to spend on excursions etc . I dont see 5k per person at all

Not everyone can use miles to fly to Europe.

My girlfriend and I are flying to Spain and then are taking the Sunshine after a week in Spain. We are flying open-jaw CLE->MAD and then BCN-> CLE (1 stop each way). It's almost always $1500/person into Europe for June/July/August.

I do agree that around $5k person is a good starting point.

I have been doing research. I believe we are going to go sometime in Sept or early Oct. I'm waiting for RC, Carnival, and Princesss rates for 2014.

Since we are flying from Sfo. I may find a flight first, then the cruise.

I am now addicted to Rick Steves' Europe. I even saw a pbs special with Andrea Bocceli singing on the marina of Portifino. It was absolutley beautiful.

Looking most forward to the wine and cuisine. I know i'm nuts. DH asks why do we have to travel to Italy for wine...when Napa is in our backyard. He just doesn't understand. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the wealth of info!

Although this may have been already mentioned, in my opinion, after many Med cruises as well as 26 trips to Europe by land, I would say that the one of the most important considerations be the intinerary. In Europe, it is all about the ports. You will get back to the ship, sometimes be too tired out to enjoy the other "bells and whistles". So, look long and hard at the ports you want to enjoy and go from there. I would also look at the time in the ports. Many times, the city(like Rome or Florence) is over an hour away from the port.

Another item to consider is the port you begin and end if you really want to round off your trip. Rome, as an example cannot be done in 6 hours...that just doesn't justify this beautiful city. If Rome is one of your top ports..make it the first or last and stay awhile.

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. I think I will get out a blank notebook and start researching.

We love the water and would like to stop at a place that has a beautiful beach to swim, snorkel etc at least one day of the trip. Can you recommend a port for this?

We live in San Francisco Bay Area, would you recommend staying one or two nights pre & post trip?

Do we need to apply for a visa for any of the Med countries?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Easiest place for swimming would be Dubrovnik, Croatia. It is right on the water, and the walled city is easy to walk around and see before you go swimming. All other ports, the places you'll want to see will be too far away to make it work, except Venice maybe (Lido Beach).

The beaches in Barcelona are great, and if you fly in 2 nights early, you can use one day for the beach and not lose sightseeing time in the outstanding ports-of-call. From S-F, you are looking at a looong travel time, so 2 nights prior might be a good idea to get rid of jet-lag.

Visa not req'd for Spain-France-Italy-Croatia itinerary.

Although this may have been already mentioned, in my opinion, after many Med cruises as well as 26 trips to Europe by land, I would say that the one of the most important considerations be the intinerary. In Europe, it is all about the ports. You will get back to the ship, sometimes be too tired out to enjoy the other "bells and whistles". So, look long and hard at the ports you want to enjoy and go from there. I would also look at the time in the ports. Many times, the city(like Rome or Florence) is over an hour away from the port.

Another item to consider is the port you begin and end if you really want to round off your trip. Rome, as an example cannot be done in 6 hours...that just doesn't justify this beautiful city. If Rome is one of your top ports..make it the first or last and stay awhile.

Agree, way too much to see & do at the ports... oh well, we'll just have to go back someday !

Í would encourage you to add some time either at the beginning or end (both is better) of your cruise. It adds to the cost of your trip but you are already there......

We just about killed ourselves trying to see Rome in three days. The kids were ready to mutiny. Cruise was also pretty intense so when we came back to Rome we were tired. That is when we slowed down and really enjoyed it.

An alternative idea could be to i.e. to fly to Barcelona, rent a car and drive to to i.e. Florence and fly back from there, on the way you can stop at all the sights you want to see.

It's not that far and can be be easily done in 1 week:)

Whatever you decide enjoy the trip:cool:

After this trip to NY incorporating our cruise, we won't be able to afford a huge holiday next year and I've been looking at Med and Europe cruises. Have to say living in the UK it disgusts me that it's much cheaper for me to fly to Barcelona and spend a few nights there than it is to board the ship at either Southampton or Dover......I would love to do another Carnival cruise in Europe but the itenary for RCL is much better.

If you are planning on going on a cruise, my suggestion would be to board at Barcelona and get there 2-3 days early so you can take in some of the city, it is beautiful and there is so much to see and do.

I'd say Eastern Med or Greece. I really feel the Western side is better for land vacations since the ports are so far away from the cities. Greece you dock right near the action almost everywhere (minus Athens).

Carnival truthfully doesn't meet most of our European wants unfortunately. We've been spoiled by many land vacations there though so we're definitely pickier.

Another vote for going from Mid May onwards to mid July, although the weather will be hot by July, or go in Sept, it will still be hot.

My reasons, school is in session in Europe during these months, so your air fare will be a lot lower to get to Europe.

If you are thinking of staying in the British Isles first, then just book your are to London and then use one of our cheapo airlines to get to Barcelona, Rome or Venice.

Cheap airlines to look at are Easyjet, Ryan air watch your luggage allowance on both of these as you will need to factor it into the price. Thomson's, Jet2 and good old BA. I paid around £650 for three flights return for my upcoming cruise. It might work out cheaper splitting the flights up, rather than going direct.

I also believe that KLM and Airfrance let you stop of for free at various airports in Europe, you will find full details on their website.

Tip tip too, for the last three years, Delta and KLM have had really good sale prices in October. For example, we could fly from the UK to Orlando for around £450 each indirect compared to normal prices of £800. Keep checking Orbitz.

All the information on this thread is absolutely GREAT! Oh but how I wish I was doing one of these trips. Now, you've got my travel bug in gear again.

I did the Liberty of the Seas back in May 2011. It was only a 5 day cruise RT Barcelona. Went to Livorno/Florence, Rome and Monaco. I did RIL tours in Italy. They are truly awesome and get your money's worth twice over. I and another person on my roll call arranged a group of 15 for each city. We had our own mini van with a driver and full day guide. I thought it was money really well spent. I don't think we missed an inch of Rome or Pisa/Florence. I highly recommend them if you will hit these ports. Try to get in with a RIL private group (or get one together). Eight is the magic number but our group kept growing and we didn't want to leave anybody out.

The other thing I did was a 5 day pre-cruise trip to Madrid/Toledo and another city (Cervantes' birth town), and 3 days Barcelona pre cruise also. Stayed at a hostel in Madrid and a very, very nice, but no frills hotel right on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Locations of both couldn't have been any better.

Maybe the younger (25 y.o.) poster can consider hostels and a shorter cruise?

This year I'm trying to decide between a land trip to Morocco, Northern Spain, or Argentina/Chile. But I'm also looking into a Panama Canal cruise. My biggest issue right now with a European cruise (or any other actually) is that I will be doing it solo and THAT makes the cabin and hotel costs wayyyyy higher than I'd like.

Alaska is my other must see but the excursions there are really expensive (I want to walk on a glacier :D) and I'd have to fly cross country, stay in Seattle pre-cruise and Vancouver, BC, plus I'd love to include a 3 days land tour in Alaska.

Sorry if I went off on a tangent a little bit. :) Keep posting. I love reading about everyone's experiences and ideas and the travelling through these forums. :)

I'm doing my first Mediterranean cruise in May. First time going to Europe as well. This trip is a lot more expensive than our previous Caribbean cruises, but feel it is totally worth it. We are doing the 12 day on Legend: Venice(overnight), Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Sicily, Naples, Rome, Livorno(Florence/Pisa),Marseilles, and Barcelona. I chose this because for the price of airfare it only made sense to do the longer cruise, we get to visit 6 difference countries, and Greece was an added bonus.

We booked last year in July using the early saver rate. We have saved over $1000 since then resulting in price reductions and on board credit, so I highly recommend early saver(and checking for specials to get the reductions!). I got our airfare in July as well, and it was about $1100 per person. My balcony room is currently costing $1918. The private tours for this trip are considerably higher than Caribbean tours. We've joined in on some group tours with the roll call to cut costs. I've found Rome in Limo to be one of the more expensive tour companies, but they do have great reviews on here. There are a few less expensive companies out there though with good reviews. Another major expense to consider is the cost of converting to euros considering the dollar is down. All that being said, I totally think the trip is doable with your budget. ;) Great times ahead!

i believe the 5k per person is a little over the top. We are currently booked on a Med cruise in June with Carnival. Our itinerary is just fine, as below

barcelona, monoca, france, florence italy, rome italy, malaga spain, lisbon portugal, and end in london england.

We are in an extended balcony on 8th floor, so regular balcony, obstructed, oceanview or inside all are that much cheaper. Our cruise total for the extended balcony

884 plus taxes 1042.67 per person 2085 for both of us

we purchased a future cruise certificate on last cruise so get 100 applied to our fare, plus a $200 OBC ( 200 rather than 100 as its a 12 night cruise) so we are down to 1885 for both of us total

we are flying from canada, and are flying on miles which costs us 700 as we have to pay taxes etc. total now at approx 2600.00 and we have our 12 night cruise in extended balcony, plus airfare to europe and back

once off the cruise, we are flying to holland for two nights, cost is $80 per person. We leave holland are are going to romania cost 110 per person. total now 3000 for the cruise, airfare, holland( staying with friends) romania ( staying with friends) We then fly back to london to return home which is another 90 per person one way.

3200 is giving us a 12 night cruise, airfare, flights to holland, then to romania, 8 additional nights in europe lucky enough not to have to pay for hotel. the other expense will be the prenight before teh cruise, and we can do that through carnival for 140 per person which is ground transportation airport to hotel, hotel for one night, hotel to ship next day, and hot breakfast for two

3500.00 total thus far, and if you remove our extra expenses due to staying afterwards, 3000.00

for two people, add to that what you want to spend on excursions etc . I dont see 5k per person at all

sorry, but you are incorrect..why? because the land portion of your trip is with friends, not in a hotel and I guess you are not planning on doing any siteseeing while on the cruise? You won't be going into any sites? The Vatican Museum? The Colesieum? The Academia? And are you walking into Rome and Florence and Lisbon from the port?

I also assume you will not be eating in any of the ports or taking any kind of guided tour at all? Are you removing the tips from your sign and sail? Did you buy travel insurance? Are you walking from home to airport..airport to ship..hotel to airport..airport to home?

5000 is actually an understatement..if one wants to actually see the sites at the port stops. And as far as airfare is concerned, how can you assume that the poster has airline miles to use? Most people pay for their flights.

and finally, have you actually done a 12 day Med cruise before? I have the sigs blocked out so I can't see them. Have you ever toured Europe before? A little advice, travel with credit cards..you are going to need them.

Archived