Husband is not excited

fakeanne

We have actually priced flying to St. Martin and Barbados and staying for 7 days and it was by far WAY more expensive just for the airfare and hotel which doens't include what you would spend on food (which is quite expensive in St. Martin). We would have spent around $1,000 more to fly there for a week's trip for the air the hotel..PLUS food and anything else we did, which I would estimate at minimum another $1,000.00. Granted we would be there for an entire week, but for us, we feel that cruising is by far a better deal, not to mention we love being at sea and being able to go to different ports during our trip. Hopefully once your husband is on the ship, he will enjoy it and be planning your next one before you leave!

Husbands are a different breed of passenger, usually. LOL ;)
Hey, I resemble that remark :D

Actually we were both "on board" with the idea of a cruise vacation. But, we like independant vacations. Go where we want, when we want, etc.

Even up to the time we were walking up the gangway for the first cruise I had nagging thoughts about the whole thing. The cost, the crowds, if I don't like it I'm stuck for the rest of the cruise, yadda, yadda.

At breakfast on the back deck of NCL Majesty the next morning, I looked at DW and said, "This is it!"

That was December 2002 and our only cruise of less than 7 nights. Just finished #10 last month. Cruising has now become our hobby :D

As some have said, it isn't for everyone. However, you have a tough time finding someone who has taken a cruise and just plain didn't like it. The odds are heavily in your favor.

Let us know how it turns out ;)

Charlie

Two words: Victoria's Secrets.

Show him what you're packing to take with you. Once he's excited about that, he may be more open to having a good time. Also, pack a martini kit (or whatever his favorite beverage is) for your room. Show him that you're trying to meet him half way on this. He'll come around : )

I felt the same way before our first cruise in 1996 - DW said she was going with or without me - I went. We have done 16 more cruises since then and I have booked them all.

Ron

You might try and minimize the cost associated with the extras by not purchasing the soda card (unless you drink tons) they have ice tea and lemonaide available, or take a few cans with you and put them in the fridge. You can also bring on a couple bottles of wine that way you can have a glass before dinner at no cost. You also don't really need to purchase all those photos that they can, they can really add up. These suggestions might help him ease into it a little better. And just be happy and have a great time and hopefully he will also.

After many years with the U.S. Navy and sailing on 3 Westpacs, the last thing I needed was a freakin Cruise vacation LOL, But my wife made me get on the Holiday and told me I didnt have to mop the decks and that I didnt have to make my bed in the morning:confused: That sold me, and I been sailing since:)

Isn't it funny how many of us have to talk our husbands into having fun??

As others have said, my DH was less than excited about cruising... but as soon as we boarded, we was SO enthralled!

As far as money is concerned, we've decided that cruising is a far BETTTER deal than land vacations!!

To the OP... you can't control the way other people feel! If he really didn't want to go, he wouldn't... so don't let his attitude effect you! No matter what (even if someone is wearing jeans in the dining room), I'm sure you will have a WONDERFUL cruise!!! :D

Nothing that you can say or do.My advise is to just get him on the ship...after a day,he'll completely be singing a different tune.;)

I was skeptical too before my first cruise (my wife was a veteran cruiser at that time with 20+ cruises under her belt) but after a day,I was completely relaxed and loving life.

I have booked the 4 cruises we have taken since then...

I live with a household of 5 males including a dog..........the only one that ever gets excited about anything is the Dog.........Some people just don't get excited.......Keep your positive attitude and have a great time.....the cruise is for both of you not just for him...so don't take it personnal.... He's a guy...opps, a sexest statement...but it certainly applies in my house.:D

I went on my 1st cruise with girlfriends to celebrate our 50th birthday. I had the time of my life and came home to urge my husband to take me on another cruise. He wanted no part of it. He had all the standard objections. I nagged and nagged and nagged until he finally couldn't stand listening to me anymore and gave in 5 months later. LOL He loved the cruise - even dressing up for dinner! I sincerely hope this is the case for you too because we've enjoyed many happy cruises since then.

My husband hates to cruise and after five of them he hasn't changed his mind, so this next cruise, 15 days to Hawaii, I'm leaving him home. I'm going with a large group of friends and family and expect to have a much better time not worrying if he's having a good time. :D

When you go, hopefully he will have a good time and love it, but if he doesn't leave him home the next time LOL.

My husband and I leave on our first cruise in Sept. I have had it planned for over a year and he has not been excited about it at all either, he sound's exactly like your husband. Hopefully he will change his mind once on board I have a lot of fun thing's planned. I know he is nervous to fly to Seattle, neither of us have ever flown, so maybe he is overwelmed with everything. Well good luck I hope you have a great time, I will keep my fingers crossed!!!!!

DH never gets excited about any vacation until we're on our way there, and then it's just a little anticipation. I think he does his low-key thing on purpose to drive me crazy, because it sure does work. I plan, research, assemble my binder, talk about it incessantly for months before. He just smiles, nods, yawns, and tells me to let him know a couple of days before so he can pack. Of course he has a great time once we're there. Sometimes I could just smack him. ;)

I've been fortunate. My DH and I were shopping for a quick get-away in April. We looked at SoBe and found the $$$ to be much to-high. Came across the 4/23 sailing on the Princess Special webpage...asked him if he was interested..His response "why are you standing here...go book it". To say the least we did exactly what we wanted to Pool ..Chair..Cocktail..Book..Cocktail..Relax..Cocktail..Eat..Cocktail.. I think everyone gets my drift that we had an absolutely wonderful, relaxing and filling time...

Countin the days to 12/24 sailing of the CB.

After several cruises - alternating with land vacations (usually WDW when our daughter was growing up) - for some 20 years, DH announced that he no longer wanted to endure the "cramped quarters or herding at mealtimes aboard a cruiseship." I was disappointed, to be sure, because I adored cruising, but DH wanted no part of it. I even went on a cruise with my sister, enjoyed every minute of it, and didn't even miss DH all that much. For me, there's just something about being "at sea" that brings a feeling of serenity to my entire being.

After our daughter's wedding in 1996, DH and I both needed a long and restful vacation. Surprisingly, he suggested a cruise because he knew that, once we got on the ship, he wouldn't have to do much of anything. Our AAA TA suggested we book on Celebrity when we said that we wanted something more sophisticated and with fewer children than on other cruises we'd taken previously. That voyage was nice but not all that we'd thought a Celebrity cruise should/would be: the stateroom was well-appointed but small, and there was still the "herding" for traditional dining. Neither of us were impressed, so we put cruising on hold for another few years.

We did land resort vacations again, most notably two visits to the Marriott Casa Magna in Cancun and a romantic stay at the then brand new Wilderness Lodge at WDW - I was turning 50, and I wanted to go to Disney World!

Then, I heard about Princess "Personal Choice" cruising, the prevalence of balcony staterooms on Princess ships, "anytime" and "alternative" dining, and I did a little more research into this cruiseline. When I told DH about my findings, he said, "OK. See what [AAA TA] has to say about Princess, and we'll give it a try." I did just that, and we booked the inaugural sailing of the Star to the Mexican Riviera in March, 2002.

I don't know why our AAA TA hadn't recommended Princess previously, but onboard the Star, we definitely found the cruiseline "where we belonged." We loved our large stateroom/with balcony that DH declared was like "having an entire extra room," and we both appreciated "Anytime" dining that allowed us to enjoy romantic dinners for two when and where we wanted. Both aspects of cruising that DH had disliked were more than compensated for with Princess-style cruisng.

Since the 2002 Star cruise, we have been on the Golden, Grand, and Caribbean Princess and will return to the Caribbean Princess for an encore voyage next January. I wasn't supposed to know that DH is planning an Alaskan cruise (Princess, of course) for our 35th anniversary next June, and he also announced recently that he "wants us to sail on all of the grand-class ships" - this from someone who was almost totally opposed to cruising before sailing on Princess.

I hope your DH will enjoy himself on the magnificent Caribbean Princess and that he, too, will come to appreciate the fine art of cruising once he's experienced this wonderfully relaxing vacation.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

My husband and I leave on our first cruise this Saturday on Caribbean Princess. He is not very excited about it all because he thinks we are spending too much money and doesn't know why we couldn't just do all this stuff on land. He is dissappointed about a lot of things that he thought would be different like having to buy a card for soda, small staterooms, having to dress up to eat, and not getting free alcohol. I think once he gets there that he is going to love it. But, what can I say to him? I feel bad.

Say the same thing as my wife said to me, 'John, you have to get used to spending money!' We had very little during my working life, but, things did pick up, and I retired early. Our son in his late twenties still lived with us, so we lent him $3,000.00. He brought some rec. property and put a tool shed on it to live in. We have since cruised once or twice a year for the past eight years, and have many fond memories. :) john

P.S. In case you are wondering about our son, he retired at the age of thirty seven, with a wife and daughter, with several pieces of real estate. Yes he paid the loan off in six months, and is going to England and Greece next year. Money can be managed. m g

The exact opposite here.

Had 3 voyages from 30 to 45 days in length and for many many many many years tried to get my wife to go on a cruise. Finally relented on a ten day Dawn Princess last year. Guess what? She booked on board for Jan 06 for 14 days.

If he bitches leave him home. :p

I am sure you would meet many people on this board on any cruise so go for it.;.. :eek:

This sounds familiar but it had a nice ending. My husband didnt think he was interested in cruising but went to Alaska to humor me. To make a long story short, he loved it as the most relaxing getaways possible. We have cruised 8 times and have 2 more booked. I'll bet he really enjoys himself.

After several cruises - alternating with land vacations (usually WDW DH announced that he no longer wanted to endure the "cramped quarters or herding at mealtimes aboard a cruiseship."

A simple trick to avoid the herding is to arrive 5 minutes after the appointed time for the dining room. Usually by then the doors are open, the crowd is gone, and you can waltz right in and go to your table.

Archived