Le Bistro

nomie

We have never been on a ship that offered the 1/2 nights but I do think a few of them do offer this the first night. Believe me, don't worry about 1/2 price the food and service is worth the full price. Someone suggested the honeymoon/anniversary package, it's a great deal; only problem, we were a little embarrassed when they sang happy Anniversary to us. Tomct is right about the salad, I had forgotten that part. NMNita

I think Holland America is really known for the Pinnacle being half-price if purchasing through HAL ship services prior to embarkation. Makes Pinnacle $10 instead of $20 on embarkation night. (Done that on both our HAL cruises.)

With NCL... we'll gladly pay the $15 for LeBistro. :) And since we leave Sunday on the Sun, with all this wonderful talk of LeBistro, I'm thinking it may be a "beginning of the cruise" night as well as an "end of the cruise" night. :p We only had LeBistro once on our previous NCL cruise and could have easily gone back for the fondue alone!:D

I have read that if you eat there on the first night you get a price break... Is that true? How should you dress for Le Bistro?
Dress for the Bistro is, I would say, semi formal. Suit and tie for men and dress or nice pant suit for women. One other thing about the price break...I've always seen it half price for the first night but I've also seen it half price every night if you dine before 7 PM. They don't seem to get a lot of reservations for 5:30 PM.
Finally... some confusion to me ...I have read here on CC that the charge for eating at Le Bistro, etc is for the special service not the food?.. If that is true
I've never heard that the charge was for the tip. The waiters in the Bistro share in the same tip pool that all the other wait staff does. They only get an extra tip if you leave one for them.

My favorites in the Bistro are wild mushroom soup and the best Caesar salad I've ever had. I've gotten the chocolate fondue a few times but I don't know if I'd get it again because it's so rich. It gave me a sugar headache! But if you're a die hard chocolate fan then this is the dessert for you.

Yours is the first post I've read that says there are no half price nights at LeBistro. Is this so?

We were on the Dawn 5/1 - there was 1/2 price the first two nights at alternative restaurants which includes LeBistro.

Zimmerjulie:

I believe you could make all of your reservations for the week on the Dawn also in the Grand Atrium when you arrive.

Checkmate1955:

Our cover charge on the Dawn for LeBistro was $15 pp - if you order Surf and Turf, it was an additional $5.00 and well worth it.

Also, if you are on the Dawn, you do not necessarily want to sit by a window. You would want to sit by an "original" painting. The windows do not face the water.

JillLyn:

The contraption on the fire is the Fire Star at $3.00 more pp.

I ordered it last year and I, personally, thought it was too dry. DH ordered it this year and he had the same opinion.

I'm sure that is just a matter of taste.

We both did enjoy the filet mignon and the surf and turf and all of their appetizers, soups, salads and desserts.

CandWDiva:

Formal night is usually in the largest restaurant on the ship. On the Dawn it is the Venetian BUT you do not have to be dressed formal to go to the Venetian that evening. Formal is optional.

I agree with SamthebookKitty - Honeymoon/Anniversary package well worth the price:)

Wishing you all a wonderful cruise.

Dress for the Bistro is, I would say, semi formal. Suit and tie for men and dress or nice pant suit for women.

Cecilia, while this attire would be nice, it is definitely not suggested or required by NCL. "Resort casual" is perfectly acceptable.

Cecilia, while this attire would be nice, it is definitely not suggested or required by NCL. "Resort casual" is perfectly acceptable.
See...this is what happens when I don't cruise NCL for eight months. :o I was always under the impression that you dressed a little better for the Bistro even with Freestyle. At least we always did. But times change. We always felt that dinner at the Bistro was like a special date night and we dress up for that. I stand corrected. If resort casual is fine, then bring on the more comfortable clothes. ;)

Cecilia, many people DO dress up for Le Bistro and the other specialty restaurants. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it can be quite nice. I just wanted to make sure that those new to NCL or this thread didn't get the wrong impression that it was somehow required.

I asked about half price restaurants when we first got on the Star. I was told that LeBistro and Cagney's had no half price nights. I don't know if that was just for our cruise or if that's the policy now. The only half price restaurant that we ever heard of was Soho and they had people walking around the ship letting everyone know about it and handing out menus. If there is a half price night at LeBistro, then we were given wrong info. Half price or not, it is definitely worth the money.

Katie

We ate at Le Bistro on the Sky in '03. I loved it..the atmosphere and the food were great.

I just dug out the little menu I kept for all 3 specialty restaurants. I wanted to tell you about my appetizer and couldn't remember what it was..looking at this I know it WASN'T Escargot (I'm not that brave) or the Asparagus which leaves "Norwegian Seafood Timbale". I had one bite and wasn't too impressed. However, I pressed on and "walla", it got better and better and by the time I was finished I considered ordering more!! There was a table next to us and I noticed that those that ordered the same thing took a bite and put it to the side. They should have given it more of a chance. I don't think I ever ate anything before that actually "grew" on me as I continued eating it. Oh,well, just a little comment on the food.

The entire meal was really 'Excellent'!!

Just came home from Dawn today.

In my Freestyle dailies for the week, LeBistro has a $10 cover charge (all week).

Even if you've never had escargot in your life...order it! It is the best I've ever had in any restaurant.

The Honeymoon/Anniversary package is definitely worth the $$. A bottle of the house red or white wine is included with the dinner.

Speaking of wine: Any wine ordered at a restaurant can be 'tagged' and follow you around from restaurant to restaurant.

We ordered a nice bottle of red wine during our first dinner at Le Bistro. We didn't finish it, so we asked the waiter to save it. He gave us a receipt (like a claim ticket). Then, we gave it to our waiter at the new restaurant...and voila...our wine had followed us. Nice!

Yours is the first post I've read that says there are no half price nights at LeBistro. Is this so?

Ahhh...looks like something has changed.

My Freestyle dailies for last Sunday - Saturday (6/5-6/11) all have the following (ver batim):

ALL SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS

Every evening from 5:30pm-6:00 pm 50% OFF all food cover charges excluding 'a la carte' priced items and Teppanyaki!

Bon appetit (sp?)

Ahhh fond memories of two weeks ago... You're making me hungry! I couldn't convince my fiance to go a third night heh. The timbale is fantastic as well. :D

She's not a fan of goose organs :eek: , but I am! I got my 5 mile run in on deck 13 before dinner to strengthen up the ol' heart or I might not be telling you this story today.:p

foiegras.jpg

Just a heads-up ... on NCL Sun this past week - Monday - Formal Night - the Freestyle Daily had 50% off the specialty restaurants. I don't have the Freestyle Daily in my hand right now, but it was worded very similar to what BarbCT605 stated above. We enjoyed LeBistro twice (once on that night) and also Il Adagio. :) (By the way - a review to come later in week.)

Archived