bringing local wines into the States

ceba

We will be going on a Med cruise in Oct. Whats involved in bringing some wine from our trip back to the states. I realize Princess will hold on to them for safe keeping:rolleyes:, but what are the duty-imigration rules?

From http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

"Alcoholic Beverages

One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

• You are 21 years old.

• It is for your own use or as a gift.

• It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

While federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use, unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as for resale. CBP officers are authorized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to make on-the-spot determinations that an importation is for commercial purposes, and may require you to obtain a permit to import the alcohol before releasing it to you. If you intend to bring back a substantial quantity of alcohol for your personal use, you should contact the port through which you will be re-entering the country, and make prior arrangements for entering the alcohol into the United States.

Also, you should be aware that state laws might limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in without a license. If you arrive in a state that has limitations on the amount of alcohol you may bring in without a license, that state law will be enforced by CBP, even though it may be more restrictive than federal regulations. We recommend that you check with the state government before you go abroad about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply.

In brief, for both alcohol and tobacco, the quantities discussed in this booklet as being eligible for duty-free treatment may be included in your $800 or $1,600 exemption, just as any other purchase would be. But unlike other kinds of merchandise, amounts beyond those discussed here as being duty-free are taxed, even if you have not exceeded, or even met, your personal exemption. For example, if your exemption is $800 and you bring back three liters of wine and nothing else, two of those liters will be dutiable. Federal law prohibits shipping alcoholic beverages by mail within the United States."

Regarding the duty rate:

"The
flat duty rate
will be charged on items that are dutiable but that cannot be included in your personal exemption, even if you have not exceeded the exemption. The best example of this is liquor. If you return from Europe with $200 worth of items, including two liters of liquor, one liter will be duty-free under your exemption. The other will be dutiable at 3 percent, plus any Internal Revenue Service tax.

Family members who live in the same household and return to the United States together can combine their items to take advantage of a combined flat duty rate, no matter which family member owns a given item. The combined value of merchandise subject to a flat duty rate for a family of four traveling together would be $4,000."

We will be going on a Med cruise in Oct. Whats involved in bringing some wine from our trip back to the states. I realize Princess will hold on to them for safe keeping:rolleyes:, but what are the duty-imigration rules?

Although your first liter is duty free, we have never been asked to pay any additional duty on extra liquor brought back. This assumes the excess quantity isn't so large, or the declared value so high, as to attract the attention of customs officials.

My wife and I routinely bring back two or three bottles each. The real challenge is how to transport the liquor/wine back home if you have to travel to your final destination via air.

Enjoy!

... My wife and I routinely bring back two or three bottles each. The real challenge is how to transport the liquor/wine back home if you have to travel to your final destination via air.

Enjoy!

When preparing to fly, I wrap my bottles in a pair of jeans or a towel and place that "package" in the center of my duffel so it's surrounded by clothes. So far I've never had a bottle break on me.

When preparing to fly, I wrap my bottles in a pair of jeans or a towel and place that "package" in the center of my duffel so it's surrounded by clothes. So far I've never had a bottle break on me.

As happened to one co-worker who brought back some rum from Puerto Rico, the customs inspected said "I have good news and bad news."

"The bad news is that although you paid the Puerto Rico tax on the rum, since you are bringing it to the mainland you will need to pay the Federal tax."

"The good news is since the bottle broke in your suitcase, you do not have to pay any tax."

"The good news is since the bottle broke in your suitcase, you do not have to pay any tax."

Then your co-worker must not have wrapped the bottle well enough. I wonder how many washings it took to get the smell out of the clothes.

Although your first liter is duty free, we have never been asked to pay any additional duty on extra liquor brought back. This assumes the excess quantity isn't so large, or the declared value so high, as to attract the attention of customs officials.

My wife and I routinely bring back two or three bottles each. The real challenge is how to transport the liquor/wine back home if you have to travel to your final destination via air.

Enjoy!

This is our experience as well. I'm chiming in with a piece of advice; Be sure you declare ALL your alcohol on your customs form. As they won't waste their time collecting a small amount of duty, they WILL certainly take the time to charge you the huge penalty for lying on a customs form.

This is our experience as well. I'm chiming in with a piece of advice; Be sure you declare ALL your alcohol on your customs form. As they won't waste their time collecting a small amount of duty, they WILL certainly take the time to charge you the huge penalty for lying on a customs form.

You actually only have to declare the price, not the number of bottles you bought for that price. Just be sure to have the receipt available if there is a question.

You actually only have to declare the price, not the number of bottles you bought for that price. Just be sure to have the receipt available if there is a question.

I did omit declaring price, but you should declare the quantity (volume) as well. The duty free allowance for liquor is based on volume (1 liter per person) as well as the price. Note that if you exceed your duty free liquor allowance based on price, you are purchasing some pretty high-end stuff.

Archived