Do you clean the house before the cruise?

cruzincurt

Our twice a year cruising is my DW's excuse and opportunity to really give the house a thorough cleaning. We shampoo the rugs, and super clean the bathrooms, etc.

She wants to come home to a sparkling clean house. And should something happen to us, the house would not have to be cleaned to sell it, she doesn't want to be embarassed by strangers coming into a messy house.

I, on the other hand, would be happy to just leave things as they are, dishes in the dishwasher, clothes in the hamper, empty coffee cup on the table, and head for the cruise terminal. Maybe this super cleaning effort makes us appreciate resting on the cruise even more? I do have to admit that coming home to a clean house is nice.

Do you do this or do you just drop everything where you are and leave for the cruise?

I have not been on a cruise yet but before I go on any vacation I like to clean my house. It is so nice to return to a clean house. It is one less thing you have to do when you are tired. I don't do it for the death reason. If I am dead I won't care LOL:eek: Really my house is never so terrible that it would be embarrassing.

Whenever I go away whether it be a few days or longer, I always make sure the house is clean. That's to say, everything is in its place, there are no dishes in the sink, it's dusted, vacuumed and there are fresh towels in the bathrooms. It's just a thing some women have.:)

And should something happen to us, the house would not have to be cleaned to sell it, she doesn't want to be embarassed by strangers coming into a messy house.

If something happened to you - you'll hopefully be in a place where embarassment isn't an emotion to deal with. :)

Pretty much "clean". New bed linens, so what was on the bed is laundered and put away, as well as all other laundry done. (There is enough to do upon our return) Dishwasher is run the evening before (dirty dishes smell sitting there for over a week) General tidying up and putting away, as on our return, things seem to get dropped here and there and it takes a couple of days to get everything put away. THere is enough "messyness" after coming home with out the "predeparture mess" being there, as well.

The house gets scrubbed, sheets changed so I can fall into crisp, clean sheets as soon as I return.

My husband thinks I am weird about that one. I have to change the sheets before we even go away for the weekend!! But I love it when I come back to fresh, clean sheets!

June

Do you do this or do you just drop everything where you are and leave for the cruise?

Must come home to a clean house from any vacation!! My DH finally gets this & actually helps!! It's only taken 23 years!:p

In October DH and I went away for a few days (to a wedding) right after we moved. I had the house completely unpacked, organized, and decorated in one week so my in-laws could housesit in a nice home.

Boy am i glad i'm not the only one who cleans the house before we leave :) My hubby always thinks i'm nuts but who feels like coming home to a mess after a nice relaxing vacation. I'm with the other posters about clean sheets. They are washed the day before we leave so they are fresh and crisp when we get in bed. BUT i always forget to put the mints on the pillows ;) I just wish he would help instead of complain. LOL

< Happy Cruising Everyone >

~~Debbie~~

I give the house an average cleaning. No dishes in the sink or dishwasher, the hamper is pretty much empty and the house picked up. I don't go so far as to starch the curtains and my drawers and closet are as messy as always. Oh, and I empty out the refrigerator of stuff that will spoil. I'm clean but not a fanatic.

It's just so much nicer coming home to a clean house after a cruise - knowing that there are two suitcases full of laundry waiting to be done. :) The housecleaning fairy has never shown up while we were away, so I've been doing it myself ever since the first trip.

It's disappointing enough not being able to find the Lido Deck the first morning home, without having to worry about the green greeblies growing in a coffee cup that was left on the kitchen counter for 2 weeks!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

no. when i get back i'm gonna have to do a couple loads of laundry anyway, so it's no biggie while those are running to do my routine cleaning. that said, i don't normally leave dishes in the sink, etc., so it's not exactly a major ordeal.

I also agree with the majority. I don't get crazy but I make sure the house is picked up and vacuum has been run no dishes and all laundry done. This time however I am leaving husband and children at home for the week and going with my mom - so I will do my normal cleaning before I go......Let's hope for a clean house when I return home!!

I don't see any men posting on this thread. Since I clean the house 8 months out of the year, when we cruise I can guarantee that it is spic and span. From Aug-Nov (football season) my job is 27/7. After football is over I am in cruise control for the rest of the school year and I take over cleaning the house.

We're going to have to find a Superbowl team for you, Dannymac, so your cleaning season can be shortend by not including December and January!!!

Last year we had someone watch the dog at THEIR house while we were gone- now that was wonderful to come home to - the house was as clean as when we left it without the doghair to sweep up!! Ahhhh... Not so lucky this time as he'll be staying home and having his 'sitter' stopping by daily. Oh, well.

Medicine for Cruise Blues

1. Return to spotless house.

2. Eat out that day in a nice restaurant.

3. Relax in your nest and think about how lucky you are to cruise!

4. Check out all the junk you bought and ask yourself why????

5. Have a libation or whatever you like and stop rocking.

ditto to the above post. It is a woman thing. Plus you have tons of laundry when you get home. Who wants laundry and a dirty house?:eek: Besides a clean house looks and smells so good.

Definitely! Must clean the house before a trip to come back fresh!

Well for this upcoming cruise we are leaving my hubby at home, so in the interest of a peaceful return I have a cleaning lady coming in the day we come home. This way I'll have clean sheets, and clean house and we will never know how much of a slob hub was for 9 days. Peace & happiness for all:) ;)

I love coming home to a clean house but I hate to be the one to clean. I happen to have found the most WONDERFUL pet/house sitter in the world! She lavishes attention on my babies and my home. I come home to fresh sheets, laundry done and put away, drycleaning dropped off and picked-up, a very clean house and a happy puppy and 3 kitties. She "charges" $15 per day! :eek: Of course, we take much better care of her and love to bring her special things from our travels. I dread the day she gets married or moves on...:o She is such a blessing!

Archived