Dinner theaters Denali/Fairbanks

karen of PA

Has anyone been to both of these salmon bakes and dinner theaters? I would be interested to see if you preferred one over the other. If they are both good, would you recommend going to both or do you think that they are too similar?

Thank so much for your input.

Karen

I do the Denali only with a coupon, it is OK, problem is the family style meal, which some people seem to think they are at home and do the double dip. :(

Are you taking about Pioneer Park in Fairbanks?

The salmon bake is very good, and the theater is separate, which is excellent in my opinion.

Not sure if these are what you are looking at, would be better if you posted the names.

Yes, it is the Denali Dinner Theater and the Pioneer Park Salmon Bake. So, you would recommend the Fairbanks Pioneer Park Salmon Bake over the Denali Dinner Theater?

Thanks,

Karen

Are you also going to consider the Palace Theater at Pioneer Park? I don't know what you would prefer, so, I'm recommending either over the other for you.

The shows are different, that may be a priority, if it's salmon, there is also the Salmon Bake at Denali.

We were planning on attending the salmon bake and the show at Pioneer Park in Fairbanks. It is actually an excursion through Princess. The other option would be the Denali Dinner Theater and family style meal. I understand that there is also a good Salmon Bake Restaurant located in Glitter Gulch. However, that one does not have a dinner show. Is that correct?

We would probably just choose one dinner theater so I am trying to determine which one would be best for us.

The Fairbanks Salmon Bake is located in Pioneer Park. The theatre show is done in the Palace Saloon, which is located in another part of Pioneer Park, and is about a five minute walk from the Salmon Bake.

The Fairbanks Salmon Bake has their 2013 prices on their website. They will be charging $32.95 per meal (all you can eat buffet style, which features the salmon, prime rib and Alaskan cod -- last year they dropped the halibut). I didn't check the prices of the show, but in the past it has been around $13.00 per person. The Princess excursion may offer a discounted price.

I've never gone to the Cabin Nites dinner theatre in Denali, so can't offer a comparison. However, I can say that while a number of people love the local salmon bake here, I'm not much of a fan. While the salmon is good (cooked outside over an alder wood fire), the salads are commercially made. When the local salmon bake started a number of years ago they featured salmon, halibut and ribs, so the salads are those you would see at a picnic (ie, coleslaw, potato and so forth). Now that they offer prime rib I've heard some complaints about the lack of a baked potato. Also, while there is indoor heated seating, the Fairbanks salmon bake is a much nicer experience on a nice summer evening. They also have contracts with a number of the bus tours, so can be very crowded, but do have a great amount of seating.

I can't compare, but I did do the Alaska Cabin Nite Dinner Theater in Denali with a buy one get one free coupon, and still did not think it was worth the money. We would never do this again, unless we read that food and entertainment had both improved. I have read of many others who enjoyed it, but it was not our thing. I would have rather driven into Denali Park yet another time.

We did the Cabin Nite in Denali. As well as the Salmon Bake & Palace Theatre in Fairbanks.

While I'm glad we did the Cabin Nite, I don't think I would do it again, and I'd suggest anyone doing it use a coupon, or look for a discount somewhere, so it costs less.

I definitely liked the Palace Theatre show. In fact, they sang one song in the show, that I went up and asked the piano player about. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere :(.

As to the Salmon Bake part, sorry, I'm not much of a fish eater, but they had lots of other stuff (potato salad, corn on the cob, and some sort of meat).

Here's a picture of DH's plate: 2e4yedl.jpg

And from the Palace Theatre: jrququ.jpg

For the Cabin Nite, you are seated a long tables (on benches) with others (10-12 people per table). And the food is served in buckets, and everyone serves themselves. Your servers are the entertainers in the show. I thought the food was good, and the show was interesting, but, not really worth what it costs.

Here's a shot of the table, you can see one of the buckets they bring the food in: 21j0pef.jpg

And my plate: 30cmvzt.jpg

And the show: 345ge54.jpg

Archived