Leather jackets or purses, Istanbul

Has anyone purchased either a leather jacket or purse in Istanbul? If so, any suggestions on where to shop?

My husband purchased a beautiful leather coat in Kusadasi several years ago. Looking to get one for myself in Istanbul this trip.

Sharon

There were lots in the main bazaar. Just prepare to bargain hard. Walk away from the first few places until you get an idea of the bottom line prices. A friend of ours made two trips and got something like six leather jackets or coats. I finally found one in Bodrum.

We purchased both a little over a year ago and we are returning to Istanbul in April.

Go to the Arasta Bazaar which is located behind the Blue Mosque...walk down on the right side is a handbag store called Fame....he has gorgeous leather handbags..I bought 6...took one with me and he shipped the rest to arrive afer I returned home...Ask for Emrah....he took us to a leather good store down the street and also on the right side. My husband pickd out a leather jacket and they fitted it to him perfectly..We went back in one hour and picked it up...beautiful leather and good prices.

I have kept in touch with Emrah and looking forward to seeing him in April to see his new handbag collection.....

eclue:o

We paid about $120 for the leather jacket.....you do need to bargain for the price.

The handbags were various prices from $100 up to $300....the leather is wonderful. I think the quality was much higher than that found in the Grand Bazaar.

eclue:o

I agree that Arasta bazaar is the place for higher quality goods.

I haven't shopped for just leather, but I have bought a couple of high-quality and distinctive purses made from antique kelims (pieces of carpet) with leather trim -- on two separate trips -- and they have worn beautifully over time. Both were in the $100 to $150 range a few years ago.

For those of you that have purchased leather in Turkey or have at least handled it - and if by chance you are familiar with Argentine leather - how would you compare the Turkish leather to the Argentine leather?

The higher quality Turkish leather is about the same as higher quality Agentinian....It is all about grade and quality. Turkish leather jackets have a good " feel" to them as do most of the purses. It is also a matter of personal choice.

eclue:)

Archived