Bring passport to ports??

hcviana

I've always found it hard to decide whether to leave the passport on the ship when getting off at ports, or bring it with me in case for some reason we miss the ship (one never knows).

Is there a "recommended" practice?

Is there a "recommended" practice?

There are two recommended practices:

1. Leave it on the ship

2. Take it with you

Many people on both sides of the issue feel very strong about it, and love to argue on cruise message boards. Despite what either side thinks, there is no right answer. Do whatever you are most comfortable with.

And is also depends on the Ports of Call. Some Ports require seeing your passport to get into the port area (in Aruba we had to show it coming back to the ship) and in some of the other ports on our Panama Canal cruise. The Cruise Compass will tell you each day whether you need your passport. At least that has been my experience.

And is also depends on the Ports of Call. Some Ports require seeing your passport to get into the port area (in Aruba we had to show it coming back to the ship) and in some of the other ports on our Panama Canal cruise. The Cruise Compass will tell you each day whether you need your passport. At least that has been my experience.

When I went to Aruba we didn't have to show it, just our photo ID - I used my drivers license.

In ports such as Aruba, all that is required is a photo i.d. - such as your driver's license They are just making sure it's really your seapass card. I am sure that someone who may have picked up a seapass card that was dropped by a passenger would be caught when the right picture didn't show up when the card was scanned when going onboard ship, but it's nice to have a checkpoint before that happens.

I'm in the camp that leaves it in the safe taking a copy with me. I figure the odds of me losing it in port are greater than me getting stranded and needing to get it back into the US. I have "heard" that if you aren't back on the ship and it has to leave, they will retrieve your passport from the safe if it is there and leave it with the Port Administrator. Don't know if it is true or not.

When I have to take it ashore, I put it in a neck bag around my neck. On a recent cruise in St. Maarten, we went to Maho Beach to watch the planes and I didn't take it with me. I had my neck bag and in it had cash for the cab, copies of the passport, two credit cards.

Fast forward to getting ready to come home. We unload the safe the morning of disembarkation and the neck bag was not there. We turn the cabin upside down. No neck bag. I knew I had it when we arrived back at the port because I retrieved money to pay for the cab.

I spent all day worrying about where it could be because I was sure it was not in the cabin and it had not been turned in at the front desk on the off chance I left it when going through security in the bowl. The money wasn't important, it was the credit cards.

About halfway home some 12 hours later, it occurred to me to look in a zip section of the tote bag we had carried to the beach. There it was. I had put it there when we returned to the ship after paying the cab driver because it gets tangled up with my sign 'n sail card which was, also, around my neck when going through security. I owe St. Anthony some money for the poor box!

Was I glad I didn't have the passports in it. I am now FIRMLY in the camp that I don't take passports off the ship unless I have to.

Tucker in Texas

I'm in the camp that leaves it in the safe taking a copy with me. I figure the odds of me losing it in port are greater than me getting stranded and needing to get it back into the US. I have "heard" that if you aren't back on the ship and it has to leave, they will retrieve your passport from the safe if it is there and leave it with the Port Administrator. Don't know if it is true or not.

When I have to take it ashore, I put it in a neck bag around my neck. On a recent cruise in St. Maarten, we went to Maho Beach to watch the planes and I didn't take it with me. I had my neck bag and in it had cash for the cab, copies of the passport, two credit cards.

Fast forward to getting ready to come home. We unload the safe the morning of disembarkation and the neck bag was not there. We turn the cabin upside down. No neck bag. I knew I had it when we arrived back at the port because I retrieved money to pay for the cab.

I spent all day worrying about where it could be because I was sure it was not in the cabin and it had not been turned in at the front desk on the off chance I left it when going through security in the bowl. The money wasn't important, it was the credit cards.

About halfway home some 12 hours later, it occurred to me to look in a zip section of the tote bag we had carried to the beach. There it was. I had put it there when we returned to the ship after paying the cab driver because it gets tangled up with my sign 'n sail card which was, also, around my neck when going through security. I owe St. Anthony some money for the poor box!

Was I glad I didn't have the passports in it. I am now FIRMLY in the camp that I don't take passports off the ship unless I have to.

Tucker in Texas

You are correct on the staff will remove items from the safe if you miss the ship. We had it happen on jewel and the captain said this took place. The cruiser calls the help number on the back of the sea pass to get it back.

Personally I carry mine but really because I book things away from the ships diving. Two things I always have ashore my passport and credit card. If the worst happens I'm covered. Having a photocopy won't help me any if I need to get back to the us.

In Europe your passports are held by the ship and stamped accordingly. I scan documents like passport, drivers lic., insurance card, credit card (front and back) and email them to myself at an internet based email like gmail or yahoo accessible from anywhere in the world.

There are two recommended practices:

1. Leave it on the ship

2. Take it with you

Many people on both sides of the issue feel very strong about it, and love to argue on cruise message boards. Despite what either side thinks, there is no right answer. Do whatever you are most comfortable with.

I agree. More often than not we leave our passport on the ship although I realize that those copies of the passport will be of little value should I miss the ship. I also believe that if I can protect my seapass card and my wallet, I should be equally able to safeguard my passport while I am ashore.I'm not convinced that the ship's personnel will search my cabin and deliver the passport to the port authorities before the ship leaves port and knowing that my passport is safe onboard the ship would be of little consolation if I were to miss the ship. :) Whatever makes you most comfortable is the best advice we can offer you.

I strongly recommend making sure that you can be back to the ship well before the deadline for reboarding.

Tucker in Texas

Great reasoning for not taking the passport ashore. You just have to be sure you make it back to the ship on time and/or not get arrested. Just kidding :eek:

Seriously, your ship pass, passport copy and your driver license, cash or credit card should be plenty to get you through a day in port.

~Bob~

In Europe your passports are held by the ship and stamped accordingly. I scan documents like passport' date=' drivers lic., insurance card, credit card (front and back) and email them to myself at an internet based email like gmail or yahoo accessible from anywhere in the world.[/quote']

South America too. On both our Antarctica Cruise and our Galapagos cruise, the passports were held for several days by the desk. We got them back more than halfway through the sailing. I recall some people pitching a fit as they didn't want to give up the passport.

We take our passports off when visiting a foreign country. They will do us no good locked in the safe and sailing away without us. But, we do not go to the beach, only excursions and shopping.

Do people really believe that at 10 minutes to casting off someone runs to your cabin to look for your passports if you are not logged back on the ship? :rolleyes:

My Passport goes with me when I am in another country. For one, it is probably the best International ID you can use, and two, I like getting it stamped in all of the places I visit.

I place it, my wallet, and anything else that could get damaged by getting wet, in a waterproof bag. I almost always wear cargo pants/shorts which have perfect pockets for making sure the items stay with me.

To each their own, but I am one that always prepares for the worst and hopes for the best.

Dan.

We take our passports off when visiting a foreign country. They will do us no good locked in the safe and sailing away without us. But, we do not go to the beach, only excursions and shopping.

Do people really believe that at 10 minutes to casting off someone runs to your cabin to look for your passports if you are not logged back on the ship? :rolleyes:

I've read about it happening for other passengers who missed the ship. I think I recall hearing staff on the ship talk about it.

I carry the cruiseline number that they have on the cruise compass, and a photocopy of my passport. I know myself very well. I'm so much more likely to misplace my passport than I am to arrive late.

This link indicates that if you lose your passport, your best chance is to be able to give as much info as possible about it. A photocopy may not get me on a plane, but it's going to help.

what do if your US passport is lost or stolen while abroad

The debate over whether to take your passport ashore or leave it in your safe comes up from time to time on CC.

It comes down to two competing risks: the risk of theft/loss/damage of the passport, vs the the risk of missing the ship and needing the passport to get on a plane.

Also relevant is what backup ID you have and whether it is enough to get you home.

Last cruise I took my passport book on St Maarten b/c I was going to Pinel Island far from the cruise port. I had a passport card in the safe as backup which would suffice to get me home if the book was stolen. Other ports I took my passport card ashore and left the book in the safe. Either way it is worth taking a credit card with a high enough limit to buy plane tickets in the event.

If you need to board an international flight to get home from the embarkation port, then my calculation changes. Since you are certain to need the PP book to get home, I'd only bring it ashore if required by law.

Yes as in my other post that is what happened on a cruise in dec. and confirm by the captain. So it does happen and that is why the number is on your sea pass card so they can help you get home.

The philosophy I use is this: every problem can be solved with a passport and a credit card.

I have both for our entire party whenever we get off the ship anywhere but the private island. I guard them with my life and think about them constantly. I think everyone should automatically do this whenever travelling in a foreign country.

When my kids have gotten off without us I've made sure they have both and have made the responsible clear.

A copy of your passport is worthless. Good luck getting on an airplane to fly anywhere with a copy. A passport is meant to be with you when you are abroad.

While true that the copy may not get you on an airplane, it will improve the time it takes to get a temporary.

Thank you for all the replies and sharing your rationale to decide between the lesser of two problems.

I always left the passport in the safe and carried a copy to port.........until a couple years ago in St. Marteen.

Despite the warnings I read here on CC regarding coming back to the ship from Maho Beach, I "only" allowed two hours for the few miles (10 miles back to the ship, probably less). Guess what......we barely made it!!!! That is to date the #1 stupid thing I've ever done.

My rationale was that even if I walked back, I could cover that distance in the time allotted. Well, not in St. Marteen. One does not stop hoping that the traffic jam is temporary, until it's way too late to get off the bus/taxi and walk.

Since that day, and after the sense of panic I felt during our tortuous return, I am more open/willing to risk losing it in port than leaving it on the ship. Once home (back in the US), I'd rather explain the immigration/customs officer why I don't have a passport, than be stranded in a foreign island (probably with no US embassy).

If/when I am able to confirm that the ship indeed empties your safe before leaving one behind in port, then that's the best of both worlds. In the meantime and seeing that others do carry the passport in port, I'll start doing the same.

The exception would be when we cruise in Europe (this summer), where I would think a "confiscated" passport is more likely to be left for you to find at the port if for some reason we do not make iot back to the ship. After all, if the passport is "confiscated" there are no options for me to choose from.

Archived