Do you think Celebrity should offer non-smoking staterooms

flagger

Should Celebrity offer non-smoking staterooms?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Should Celebrity offer non-smoking staterooms?

• Yes
    • No

Even if they could only offer a few cabins in each category, it might help people with asthma, allergies and other issues. I bet they would sell out quickly on many cruises.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are cruises with a high concetration of smokers, so they couldn't reserve too many cabins for non-smokers without running the risk of sailing with empty cabins.

Lisa

I know they turn up the air to it's max, if there were smokers in the cabin. This helps rid the cabin of any smoke odor. However, I wonder how they would get the odors out of the upholstered furniture and bedding?

Grace

Fact: Whatever the stewards use to clean and disinfect the cabins really works. In 18 cruises, I've never encountered the smell of smoke in my cabin.

FACT: In our two cruises, we smelled smoke in the bedding and furniture as well as encountered used butts on our balcony.

Maybe this is a generalization - but I think more Americans are cutting down but most of the Europeans and non-americans I have seen aboard still smoke heavily.

They are not going to change and I'll bet they would smoke in non smoking cabins

It would be sooooo wonderful to have non-smoking cabins. Here in California it is great that all public places are non-smoking. You are really notice a big difference when you go out of state.

Smoking on the balconies is what I object to. On our recent cruise, our room was heavily deodorized smelling when we got there, so I assume there had been smokers in there before us. The room seemed fine to me. People were smoking on the balconies on both sides of us, so there was no getting away from it no matter which way the wind was blowing. It made our balcony unusable at some times.

I think smoking should be banned from all cabins. It's such of a fire hazard. I'd allow it on the balconies.

That won't be very convenient for PAX in inside/outside cabins.

Have you ever had to stay in a "smoking" room in a hotel when all of the non-smoking rooms were full? We did, but for only one night, because it was incredibly bad. I would think that even a heavy smoker, as I once was, would have found it distasteful.

It sometimes seems that labelling a room "smoking" or "non-smoking" absolves the hotelier from any responsibility for maintaining a decent environment throughout the entire hotel.

Since the stateroom we had on our last voyage was a celebrity suite with no opening windows, and had not a scent of cigarette smoke, I favor leaving the status quo. It forces the cruise lines to keep all rooms smelling fairly fresh.

Have you ever had to stay in a "smoking" room in a hotel when all of the non-smoking rooms were full? We did, but for only one night, because it was incredibly bad. I would think that even a heavy smoker, as I once was, would have found it distasteful.

We stayed in "smoking room" of Embassy Suites last year (we still smoked at that time!!!) . Room smelled so badly I thought I was going to faint! I would never request smoking room again (even if I smoke).. However none of 7 ship cabins we travelled in "smelled" at all.

I live on Long Island NY & smoking is also banned from most public places. I am allergic to smoke, and have never had a problem on a cruise ship. Lucky I guess. I would book a non smoking room if were available, just in case the cleaners didn't do too well. Swollen eyes & runny nose are not too attractive.

I voted yes but it is a foggy yes.

I am a non-smoker.

I would like it if the stateroom i wanted was in the middle of the non smoking section of staterooms But if i wanted a stateroom for the view or access to the stairwell or for whatever reason and it was smoking, i would be disappointed. I would be disappointed if the only staterooms available on a cruise i wanted were smoking.

We have not had a problem with our cabin smelling of smoke. However, on two of our crises someone on the balcony next to us smoked cigars! The last one was on a 16 night transatlantic, where we should have been able to enjoy our balcony often. But it seems our neighbor was on the same schedule as we were and was smoking most of the time we tried to be out there. All that said, I don't believe smokers would agree to not smoking when out doors.

Debby

I have never had a problem with smoke in my cabin but we did have the misfortune to have a balcony next to a smoker who liked to go out and light up in the evening when I wanted to relax on the balcony before dinner with a nice glass of wine. If only we had been up wind instead of down it would have made a huge difference. Joan

We were delayed in Reno overnight and only a smoking room was available. The Gate Agent somehow located a bottle of Fabreeze and a vanilla candle. That was way above and beyond her responsibilities. Perhaps because we volunteered to delay in a difficult situation, she was appreciative. I now always travel with my own smaller spray (plastic) bottle although I have not had to use it on a ship.

As for the next balcony smoker, the candle helps absorb smoke and odor....and a small battery powered fan set in the right direction may be worth the baggage space.

If all else fails, here is a old trick from nursing days when we bought Avon perfume sticks. (Now I have Lauder's "Pleasures" in a stick.) Simply rub the stick under your nose and on your tongue. That will help for a while.

Sensitivity responses to smoke etc. are quite uncomfortable, but one can usually change bedspreads, pillows and in case of necessity...draperies, so that only the carpet and such remain. In that case let us ...spray, spray, spray.

Then again you could fight fire with music, and negotiate periods of quiet for periods of breathing. :)

Blessings,

Gail

I think the cruise lines do an amazing job of getting rid of smoking odors. On 13 cruises, I have never been bothered -- and I DETEST the smell of smoke and would NEVER book a "smoking" hotel/motel room.

I'd love to go on a non-smoking SHIP -- dream on, eh? Meanwhile, the cruise lines have their markets & quotas to deal with, and I am very grateful that they seem able to have the rooms so fresh as new passengers board -- at least so far we have had no bad experiences.

I think they should ban smoking in 99% of the ship...

But, hey, I'm not COMPLETELY insensitive (just asthmatic)...I know these nicotine junkies can't go 7, 10 or 14 days without a fix...

So...I have a simple solution...

Take one of those bad inside cabins down on Deck two that nobody seems to want anyway......take it "out of service"...remove all of the furniture...Now, seal off all of the ducts and vents that connect it to the HVAC system for the rest of the ship...

Now, hang a big sign on the door "SMOKING LOUNGE"...

Let all of the smokers gather in there and puff away to their hearts' delight...

I too vote for smoking and non smoking cabins, and yes guys I am a smoker.....

As a smoker in a balcony cabin, I pay special attention to noise on the cabin next to me..... If I know someone is out on thier balcony, I refrain...., yet I need to listen carefully to figure it out...

If there were cabins in a smoking section, I would not have to try to figure it out... This happens on the outside decks in the public area... I know that the ship has allocated this area to smoke, and feel more comfortable knowing it is acceptable.... Still, on a full ship, even in the smoking section, I look around to see if it is approporate... Really, there are just not enough pool chairs to designate a whole side of the ship as smoke or smokeless...

With no guidelines on balcony decks, you have to figure it out on your own... Like I said, listen to the sounds....

There will be smokers on every cruise, this is a given... As a smoker we are willing to abide by the rules and restrictions given to us. The problem with all cabins being smoking cabins, we do not know how to respect the desires of the non smokers.....Pleae no lectures on how I am destroying my health or tell me not to smoke, wont happen... but tell me what areas are acceptable and what areas are not, and we will comply, and then some.

I have never smelled smoke on a crruise, but i have only cruised twice. Now with hotel rooms, some are worse than others, some have just had a heavy smoker and others have a very light hint of smoke, while im a non smoker i dont mind smoke or a light after smell.

Archived