New to Holland America

ship-disturber

I see that no one else has replied yet.

While I haven't sailed Volendam, our usual tactic is to get a mid ship cabin. Keep in mind what is directly above you and below you, such as pools, night clubs, galleys etc.

You can find deck plans on HAL's website for Volendam, and you can check it out. As mentioned, it doesn't matter which side you book because Inside P has scenery on both sides. Many people go up on deck to see alot. We are in balconies, so I don't go out, although DH does take his camera out.

For example on the Zaandam, we booked by the aft elevators (very quiet). It was a quick jump downstairs to get Latte's, and a quick elevator ride up to Lido.

It depends where you will hang out onboard. Hope this helps.

Pat

Sassyredhat has it right. IMO, which side is not so important as whether it is front or back. The back, aft, staterooms put you closer to the dining room and the outdoor area around the aft pool. If the weather is fine, you'll want to be out on deck much of the time. Having an aft stateroom will make that quicker and easier.

Have a great cruise.

On the Volendam, a balcony would cost us almost $3,000.00 MORE for a 1 week Inside Passage Cruise for the two of us. We are booked in a mid ship large Oceanview cabin and would love to have a balcony, but for that difference in price, out of the question! Enough for another cruise! :D

Volendam balconies are priced very high for Alaska. Or, perhaps for all their cruises. Not sure - never sailed on Volendam before.

My opinion only -- for Alaska, you need to be out on the public decks to really see the scenery. While a balcony is always nice, it isn't a "must have" -- especially with the price difference on the smaller ships. If your choice is "take an oceanview or inside cabin" or "don't go", take the OV or inside cabin :D

My opinion only -- for Alaska, you need to be out on the public decks to really see the scenery. While a balcony is always nice, it isn't a "must have" -- especially with the price difference on the smaller ships. If your choice is "take an oceanview or inside cabin" or "don't go", take the OV or inside cabin :D

I agree. You might want to consider one of the inside J cabins on Lower Promenade or the OV on the same deck. It gives you quick and easy access to the outside.Just thought I would add that the front of the ship has all the entertainment, the aft has all the food.

On the Volendam, a balcony would cost us almost $3,000.00 MORE for a 1 week Inside Passage Cruise for the two of us. We are booked in a mid ship large Oceanview cabin and would love to have a balcony, but for that difference in price, out of the question! Enough for another cruise! :D

Volendam balconies are priced very high for Alaska. Or, perhaps for all their cruises. Not sure - never sailed on Volendam before.

Volendam is one of the smaller ships (a BIG plus). accordingly verandahs cost more. take your oceanview and if luck holds you may get an upsell offer a couple of weeks before the cruise.. Know the price you will pay - what it's worth to you. don't fool around - if you get an offer you like - take it:D

Otherwise, stay with what you have - and enjoy. everyone gets the same food, entertainment, whatever, it doesn't matter what cabin category you have - have a great cruise:)

We loved having our veranda on Oosterdam in Alaska. We were lucky to enjoy great weather and the day we went all the way through Tracy Arm, our veranda was wonderful. The Captain turned the ship a full 360 degrees so everyone on the ship, no matter where they were, got a full view of the glacier. Incredible sight; a day we'll never forget and for us, having the veranda was perfect.

Archived