High End Mexican? Really Good Deli?

sail7seas

[quote name='George C']very true, I am preety fussy also, she has many resturants, we went to Becco on 9th ave and really enjoyed the food (I am also Itilian that grew up in NYC) , maybe the wine list that had 100 bottles all for 25 dollars had something to do we how much I liked it. I would recommend this place to anyone.[/quote]

I'll have to give it a try if I am ever near one of her restaurants.....!

[quote name='Irish Eyes Are Sailing']I guess it is up to individual taste. The other poster who commented was a little disappointed. I know her cookbooks are wonderful, I make a lot of her dishes and they turn out great. I know how the other poster feels, because I am very fussy about Italian food. I feel I make really good Italian food at home, so I have a tendency not to go out for it. My DH says that most places don't measure up to my Italian cooking.......go figure, considering I'm half Irish!!:confused: (hence the forum name!):)[/QUOTE]

Thats another thing too.

I am 100% Italian , and grew up with the greatest cooks I know Mom, Grandmother Aunts. So maybe there I am a little biased.

I would definately say go and try it (Becco is where I went also ) . I would actually go again if the opportunity arises.

Like I said it certainly wasn't bad. I guess my expectations were a little high.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Way too greasy with cheap beef.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Like most food, it depends on where you get it. If you're Mr. or Ms. tourist and get them at Pat's or Geno's I'd agree.

[B]It's been niggling at me about Lidia.......
I was trying to place the name and remembered
We have our own Lidia Chef/ Restauranteur in Boston named Lidia Shire. She has a big name and a number of locations though the oh so traditional Locke-Ober's just closed. So sad to see that historic restaurant closed. [/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]It's been niggling at me about Lidia.......[/B]
[B]I was trying to place the name and remembered [/B]
[B]We have our own Lidia Chef/ Restauranteur in Boston named Lidia Shire. She has a big name and a number of locations though the oh so traditional Locke-Ober's just closed. So sad to see that historic restaurant closed. [/B][/quote]
I remember her!!! And I remember Locke-Ober's too. Sad that it closed.

[quote name='Irish Eyes Are Sailing']That is interesting, I have all of Lidia's cookbooks and love her recipes.....too bad her restaurants are not that great.[/quote]

Been to only one of them (Del Posto) and had an amazing meal! :)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]It's been niggling at me about Lidia.......
I was trying to place the name and remembered
We have our own Lidia Chef/ Restauranteur in Boston named Lidia Shire. She has a big name and a number of locations though the oh so traditional Locke-Ober's just closed. So sad to see that historic restaurant closed. [/B][/QUOTE]

This Lidia is a a short Italian lady with very short hair. Has had a cooking show on TV for many years , and quite a few restaurants 2 in NYC and one in Kanasas City that I know of , and a few more . Her show was on PBS , now it is on Create Channel if you get that where you are .

She visits various parts of Italy and shows various film clips during the show of ceratin regions and what foods they grow and raise there and then makes the recipes .

Usually has her children and grandchildren and mother on the show helping her cook.

[quote name='babyher']Thats another thing too.

I am 100% Italian , and grew up with the greatest cooks I know Mom, Grandmother Aunts. So maybe there I am a little biased.

I would definately say go and try it (Becco is where I went also ) . I would actually go again if the opportunity arises.

Like I said it certainly wasn't bad. I guess my expectations were a little high.[/quote]

[quote name='babyher']This Lidia is a a short Italian lady with very short hair. Has had a cooking show on TV for many years , and quite a few restaurants 2 in NYC and one in Kanasas City that I know of , and a few more . Her show was on PBS , now it is on Create Channel if you get that where you are .

She visits various parts of Italy and shows various film clips during the show of ceratin regions and what foods they grow and raise there and then makes the recipes .

Usually has her children and grandchildren and mother on the show helping her cook.[/quote]

[B] Her show sounds wonderful. I'd love watching.

Have to check our tv listings and look for her.
Thank you. :)

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Her show sounds wonderful. I'd love watching.[/B]

[B]Have to check our tv listings and look for her.[/B]
[B]Thank you. :)[/B]

[/quote]

Have been watching her for years..best cooking show on TV. She is on many channels (including Create on digital cable) on Public Broadcasting stations.

I live in San Diego and we have great Mexican food restaurants. Having said that I have to add that "high end Mexican food" is an oxymoron. Perhaps you meant "authentic" or "not gringo style", but Mexican food rarely goes above $20 per person. I just never heard of $50 to $100 a head Mexican food. In fact, it is well known around here that the best Mexican food is in the cheapest looking dives.

You may be looking forward to the Pinnacle class ships, but to me it is will be a step down from the typical HAL experience.

igraf

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I'm looking forward to learning more about alternative restaurants that may be added to Pinnacle Class ships and got to thinking about what type I'd really like.[/B]

[B]High End Mexican or a Really Good Deli are sounding good but, I admit, not likely to be chosen.[/B]

[B]What do you think/would like to see for added alternative restaurants on the ships?[/B][/quote]

[quote name='igraf']I live in San Diego and we have great Mexican food restaurants. Having said that I have to add that "high end Mexican food" is an oxymoron. Perhaps you meant "authentic" or "not gringo style", but Mexican food rarely goes above $20 per person. I just never heard of $50 to $100 a head Mexican food. In fact, it is well known around here that the best Mexican food is in the cheapest looking dives.

[B][COLOR=red]You may be looking forward to the Pinnacle class ships, but to me it is will be a step down from the typical HAL experience.[/COLOR][/B]

igraf[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The bigger the ships -- the less traditional HAL that many of us are used to will be long gone.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='kazu']I'm with you - a high end, haute couture French restaurant. Now THAT would be nice. A nice TAPAS spot would be nice too. Mexican - well, I cook it all the time. [COLOR="Red"] DH is Mexican - it would have to be awful dam good or we would be very disappRight!).ointed. [/COLOR]If I could have done better at home, I wouldn't be a happy camper:rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"] "I grew up eating in a Mexican restaurant (Casa Linares. Now in the 4th generation). I love Mexican quisine, and have eaten in very fancy restaurants in large cities to meals cooked over an open fire on a salvaged iron plate over wood fire in a place with a roof and two walls! Note: I did not add a floor!
Cokes were retrieved from a cold water ( Quality? Ice quality?) bin, and I was shown how to remove the top but keep it so the flies did not drink it all! :eek: I love cheese, and they had fresh cheese in a display with a chesescloth cover. Boy I wanted it, but remembered my MD. said: No milk products!, so I declined.
I was only sick once in Mexico, and that was Typhus (probably, tests were not conclusive.) Our kids were sick once, but that was from the swimming pool. A couple of litres of Mexican mineral water (Topo Chico, available in the southwest US., or "Agua de ??atlan" sorry, forgot the full name.) fixed them right up. (Kids were 5-10 years old). [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='babyher']Thats another thing too.

Like I said it certainly wasn't bad. I guess my expectations were a little high.[/quote]

Yes, I agree, when you are fussy about something, you are fussy....sometimes places really have to try hard to measure up! Especially when you KNOW Italian cooking like we do. My first husband was Italian and I learned from his family, so I identify with that......

[quote name='igraf']I live in San Diego and we have great Mexican food restaurants. Having said that I have to add that "high end Mexican food" is an oxymoron. Perhaps you meant "authentic" or "not gringo style", but Mexican food rarely goes above $20 per person. I just never heard of $50 to $100 a head Mexican food. In fact, it is well known around here that the best Mexican food is in the cheapest looking dives.

igraf[/quote]

Planning on a trip to CA and San Diego next year. I can't wait to get some of that great Mexican food!!!!!!!

[quote name='Irish Eyes Are Sailing']Yes, I agree, when you are fussy about something, you are fussy....sometimes places really have to try hard to measure up! Especially when you KNOW Italian cooking like we do. My first husband was Italian and I learned from his family, so I identify with that......[/QUOTE]

Yea we might just be a little spoiled *LOL*

From the reviews I have read, large ships with multiple extra cost dining venues tend to have mediocre food in the main dining room. I do not see this as a step up.

Seriously, if this is what you want then go ahead and cruise with the other lines. Why have HAL become just like the others?

igraf

[quote name='Typhoon1']Any additional dining venues would be welcome. HAL offers one or two alternative restaurants. Other lines offer six or more.[/quote]

Years ago (or so I'm told.....I don't want to give away my age) not only was the salad tossed tableside, but also was your fresh, hot pasta and depending on your entree, it was, too. On formal nights caviar was always on the menu. There was always either your server or his assistant standing by with a watchful eye on your table. I'd like to have that service returned in any type of themed restaurant. (Yes I know that the PG does the tableside salad, but that has been only in the last 2 years).
David

You may be looking forward to the Pinnacle class ships, but to me it is will be a step down from the typical HAL experience.

igraf[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with igraf on both counts. The best Mexican food I have had has been from the little "hole in the wall" places, or home made. (Mad by Friends or family or an awesome potluck at work).

And I really don't think we will be getting on a Signature or Pinnacle class ship. We sail for the itinerary and not the ship features or restaurants. We love PG but for most meals, lido is preferred by us.

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Several people have suggested tapas.

The problem with this is you really need very fresh seasonal ingredients. As someone mentioned when talking of a fish restaurant, you cannot make good tapas with frozen food.

Here in Spain, people just cook what is good at the market that day.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived