Questions for Alaska Princess cruise

firemox

Hi All,

I been on 4 cruises so far from various locations. This is our first Alaska trip/cruise.

We have a group of 12 with ages from kids to elderly and everything in between. I am looking at a few itineraries and kind of have my heart set on the 7 day southern one way Princess cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. I have a few questions on picking the cruise time and any must do excursions.

1. I noticed that all cruises with the same itineraries are about $300 cheaper during June than July and August. Is there a reason for that? Is it a bad idea to go during June?

2. Which side of the ship is the best to get if we were to get balcony?

3. What are some of activities during the glacier days? (besides looking at the massive glacier of course :-) )

4. Could anyone recommend some independent tour/excursion suggestions for skagway and ketchikan? Some of the must dos in Alaska would be nice.

Thank you very much for all our help!

Sincerely,

Jason

Hi All,

I been on 4 cruises so far from various locations. This is our first Alaska trip/cruise.

We have a group of 12 with ages from kids to elderly and everything in between. I am looking at a few itineraries and kind of have my heart set on the 7 day southern one way Princess cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. I have a few questions on picking the cruise time and any must do excursions.

1. I noticed that all cruises with the same itineraries are about $300 cheaper during June than July and August. Is there a reason for that? Is it a bad idea to go during June? Our first trip was mid to late June and included the solstice and long, long days. Our second trip was late July (days were still long). We were lucky with mostly good weather on both cruises but that really is variable and not very predictable from what I can tell.

2. Which side of the ship is the best to get if we were to get balcony? Been on both sides and don't really have a preference. On Glacier Bay day the captain will spin the ship around and around at Marjere (sp?) Glacier so both sides can view the glacier -- but it is really best to be out and about on deck then.

3. What are some of activities during the glacier days? (besides looking at the massive glacier of course :-) ) Park service rangers will be on board narrating the entire passage on Glacier Bay day - and I think they have a special program for kids. The on board 'naturalist' takes over when they depart.

On the Coral last year there were two lunch buffets on deck: an Alaskan Fish BBQ leaving Ketchikan and a Seafood Buffet in Glacier Bay. The latter was especially wonderful! There were mussels, crab cakes, two types of salmon and the most wonderful halibut I’ve ever tasted – it melted in your mouth. On College Fjord day there was a dessert buffet - I didn't partake but saw plenty of people carrying plates with 5 or more desserts on them!

4. Could anyone recommend some independent tour/excursion suggestions for skagway and ketchikan? Some of the must dos in Alaska would be nice. I included our excursions in my review. On our first trip to Ketchikan we did a float plane over the Misty Fjords that landed on a lake and then took a boat back to port. That was a once in a lifetime experience!

Sincerely,

Jason

Jason - we've done this cruise twice northbound; most recently with a group of 8 (4 siblings and spouses) last July. My review, which might answer some of your questions, is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1680904. Others I answered above in red. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks Capriccio.

Were the tours that you guys did at Whittier by cruise or independent company? I think it would be interesting to do the Denali tour. But not sure how far it would be to go there.

Jason

1. I noticed that all cruises with the same itineraries are about $300 cheaper during June than July and August. Is there a reason for that? Is it a bad idea to go during June?

- Another note w/ June cruises vs. latter... if you wanted to see salmon runs and bears, the probability of seeing them are far greater toward August vs. June... The price differences are purely a demand / supply issue.

4. Could anyone recommend some independent tour/excursion suggestions for skagway and ketchikan? Some of the must dos in Alaska would be nice.

- In Ketchikan, I can suggest hiring 2-3 taxi to take the whole group all over Ketchikan. The drivers are all good tour guides

- In Skageway, I can suggest renting minivans, and hiring local tour guides (from Dyea Dave, for example) to take you guys around Skageway and out to the Yukon. Its great bang for the buck in my experience, and offers you excellent flexibility.

Thanks Capriccio.

Were the tours that you guys did at Whittier by cruise or independent company? I think it would be interesting to do the Denali tour. But not sure how far it would be to go there.

Jason

The Denali tour my sister and spouse and brother and spouse took was part of a Princess 'cruise tour' that can add 3 to 10 or more land days to your vacation. Denali is an 8 or 9 hour train ride from Whittier if I remember correctly (we did a cruise tour in 2007). Our transfer from Whittier to Anchorage was a Princess 'excursion' -- we knew we had lots of time to kill before our flight and had to get from Whittier to Anchorage some how and that fit the bill.

Hi All,

2. Which side of the ship is the best to get if we were to get balcony?

3. What are some of activities during the glacier days? (besides looking at the massive glacier of course :-) )

Sincerely,

Jason

prices are supply and demand, June is an excellent time in Alaska.

Yes, you look at the glaciers, from the entrance, it is a 3 hour slow cruise up to the glaciers, you will see at least 4 glaciers. There is a LOT of wildlife potential- that most people miss. Otherwise, you have been on cruiseships.

IF people ONLY want their glacier viewing from their cabin- then get a port side cabin. Otherwise, the "most" view is going to be out on deck.

Have each adult pick out their own excursions. There are hundreds of choices. I first suggest you take a look at a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests- THEN repost specific questions.

I recommend at least an extra 5 days for a Denali add on, with a cruisetour being the most limiting and seeing the least. Independent, is simple and easy, with allowing so much more, that cruisetours simply don't even know they are missing.

Depends what you want out of the trip, how often you think you will get there and how much interest you have.

Archived