Is White Pass rail trip similar to Taieri Gorge In NZ?

avalon007

Hi,

We were in NZ a few weeks ago & did the Taieri Gorge rail trip out of Dunedin.

We are looking at things to do whilst in port on the Alaskan cruise we have booked in August & from the pics I see the White Pass rail trip looks very similar scenery wise to the NZ rail trip.

Has anyone done both who can offer a fair comparison?

Also how long is the round trip journey on the White Pass trip?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you elaborate in what way the scenery is more beautiful?

Is it more dramatic, does it have stops of interest etc?

I found the stops on the NZ trip were nothing worth getting off the train for & the more interesting parts of the scenery were in a limited part of the trip.

What did you do on the bus tour part into the Yukon?

Thanks.:)

The basic White Pass trip is approx 3 1/2 hours. You can google their site and it will give many various options, excursion times and prices...Many book this privately or as a ship excursion, price seems to be very similar.

Have not been to NZ so I can't compare, but I have ridden the WP&Y several times. There are three basic trips

RT Summit - approx 3.5 hrs - train leaves from Skagway and climbs to the summit of white pass, engines swap ends and you go back down again - no detraining - no stops. Lots of steep grades, cliffs, waterfalls, and wildlife to be seen.

Next stop Fraser - Fraser is a station 6 miles beyond the summit and is used as a starting point for bus tours to either Skagway or into the Yukon. Tours back to Skagway often include stops at places like Liarsville, the Gold Dredge and 40 below. Tours to the Yukon head for Carcross, Emerald Lake etc. and return to Skagway they last around 7hrs.

These tours also run bus first and train last. On Fridays and some Mondays there is a 4hr RT Steam Excursion to Fraser and back.

The Bennett Scenic Tour - beyond Fraser, the RR heads to the other side of the mountain from the highway and to the end of the White Pass and Chilkoot Trails. A real ghost town today - only a church remains intact from the original townsite. Bennett was a meal stop on the WP&Y and even so today. The lunchroom ladies serve up a miner's lunch that is both tasty and filling. After lunch you head for Carcross and the end of the line. There the bus will take you back to Skagway along the Klondike Hy. This trip is around 8 hrs.

Some of these tours are offered through the cruise lines or directly from the RR or using Chilkoot Tours.

I have done both. No they aren't really similar. The White Pass is narrower, steeper, more spectacular scenery, and this is the entire trip, which the Taieri is not.

Did you do this independently- going further? Or were you on the shorter ship tour?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Good to hear the White Pass trip has more frequent 'oohh ahhh' moments & wildlife to see. The NZ trip had no wildlife except birds as NZ has no native mammals to see really.

It had a lot of less exciting bits for us also, as although the farmland scenery is lovely we actually live in a farming area in Australia that looks quite similar, so for us it was only the gorges & bridges that were different.

I have been researching further & have decided we are not interested in the Yukon suspension bridge so not needing to go there, I do like to see historic towns but don't want to travel 2 extra hours or so to see just 1 or 2 non descript buildings for example.

Sounds like the shorter White Pass return trip covers the most exciting parts anyway- is that correct?

If not what are the highlights beyond the short trip please?

To spend the whole day doing this trip the extra stops would need to be more than a hot meal, or a single old building etc for us to be interested.

We need to see something either quite different, unique or so much more awe inspiring than what can be seen on the shorter trip or elsewhere in Alaska to do the longer one.

Just as a background, we are doing 5 days prior to this cruise on a tour that takes in Denali, Talkeetna, Aleyska (Girdwood), Seward & Anchorage so will have seen some excellent scenery etc prior to the White Pass trip.

Thank again for any input, much appreciated.

:)

Budget Queen,

We did our own Taeiri Train tour in NZ but did the shorter one as the final hour or so we were told by others that had done it was not the best part of the journey anyway. It was less than half the price of the cruise tour that did the same trip.

When at Alyeska Resort (Girdwood) you will have incredible scenery. Turnagain Arm. My favorite place on earth, but I haven't gotten to New Zealand as yet.

Have a wonderful trip!

PS, I love New Zealand wool clothing and wouldn't think of doing an outdoors trip with a suitcase full of it.

I have been researching further & have decided we are not interested in the Yukon suspension bridge so not needing to go there, I do like to see historic towns but don't want to travel 2 extra hours or so to see just 1 or 2 non descript buildings for example.

Sounds like the shorter White Pass return trip covers the most exciting parts anyway- is that correct?

If not what are the highlights beyond the short trip please?

To spend the whole day doing this trip the extra stops would need to be more than a hot meal, or a single old building etc for us to be interested.

We need to see something either quite different, unique or so much more awe inspiring than what can be seen on the shorter trip or elsewhere in Alaska to do the longer one.

Just as a background, we are doing 5 days prior to this cruise on a tour that takes in Denali, Talkeetna, Aleyska (Girdwood), Seward & Anchorage so will have seen some excellent scenery etc prior to the White Pass trip.

Clearly you don't have an accurate assessment of the full day tours. Not sure what train you are looking at but both the Lake Bennett trip and the White Pass trains, with the Yukon combo to Emerald are both spectacular endless scenery. There are many trip reports with photos that you may wish to take a look at.

And certainly the White Pass RR short trip is a great option, if that is the preference. Way too much to see and do.

More important, I hope you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included with your cruisetour, you will not get into the park without it. Otherwise, in my opinion, it is not even worth going.

Although few people consider my suggestion, to make the best use of your time, I advocate for people to dump the cruisetour, after Girdwood and get themselves on the Alaska RR to transfer to Seward. Best bonus is you have a spectacular scenic ride, and you get into Seward early enough to take a Kenai Fjords boat tour- which is one of the major wildlife jackpots- other is Denali. Many people come to Alaska for the wildlife they see in the brochures. Many never see it. Tours are required for the most opportunity.

Hi,

Thanks for the further feedback.

Yes, we have the Tundra Wilderness tour included in our 2 days in Denali on the pre cruise tour.

I am finding it hard to decide on what to do or not in Alaska to be honest.

Due to past travel experiences & what we have seen & done on other trips & also here in Australia I want to make sure we make the most of the time by seeing/doing things that are new/different for us if possible.

What I'm looking for is some detailed info on exactly what you see on the longer train trip that is different & how it is different than the scenery/ stops etc you see on the shorter rail trip?

I just know from other trips we have done that after a while you start to get less awe inspired by the scenery etc, if you have already been seeing similar amazing scenery for a week+ prior if you know what I mean.

Plus we are doing a week in Canada after the cruise & visiting Banff/lake Louise, so lots of scenery.

Kenai Fjords

I have heard other people mention doing what you suggest regards leaving the Royal Tour at Girdwood.

I looked at the Kenai Fjords Tours Site, it mentions seeing Bear & Piedmont Glaciers ( how do they compare to seeing Mendenhall & Hubbard glaciers, very different? ), also mentions whales & wildlife, I'm most interested in seeing sea otters, orcas & puffins (seen plenty of humpbacks as we live near a humpback tourist hostspot here in Australia).

How likely are you to see these animals up close? Is it likely we would see them elsewhere at our other cruise ports of call?

Thanks for any info it all helps to decide what the 'must do's' are for us whilst in Alaska.:)

You will see large animals up close at several places during your tour and not the least is Alyeska Resort and Turnagain Arm where it is very likely you will see mountain sheep, moose and often black bears.

In Alaska you don't have to pay a lot of money to see animals, but I've seen many tourists sleep on the tour buses and miss a great deal.

You are correct about not over scheduling when on a long trip. It is not a job! You will enjoy more if you aren't running a tight schedule every minute.

Hi,

Thanks for the further feedback.

Yes, we have the Tundra Wilderness tour included in our 2 days in Denali on the pre cruise tour.

I am finding it hard to decide on what to do or not in Alaska to be honest.

Due to past travel experiences & what we have seen & done on other trips & also here in Australia I want to make sure we make the most of the time by seeing/doing things that are new/different for us if possible.

What I'm looking for is some detailed info on exactly what you see on the longer train trip that is different & how it is different than the scenery/ stops etc you see on the shorter rail trip?

I just know from other trips we have done that after a while you start to get less awe inspired by the scenery etc, if you have already been seeing similar amazing scenery for a week+ prior if you know what I mean.

Plus we are doing a week in Canada after the cruise & visiting Banff/lake Louise, so lots of scenery.

Kenai Fjords

I have heard other people mention doing what you suggest regards leaving the Royal Tour at Girdwood.

I looked at the Kenai Fjords Tours Site, it mentions seeing Bear & Piedmont Glaciers ( how do they compare to seeing Mendenhall & Hubbard glaciers, very different? ), also mentions whales & wildlife, I'm most interested in seeing sea otters, orcas & puffins (seen plenty of humpbacks as we live near a humpback tourist hostspot here in Australia).

How likely are you to see these animals up close? Is it likely we would see them elsewhere at our other cruise ports of call?

Thanks for any info it all helps to decide what the 'must do's' are for us whilst in Alaska.:)

Your "past travel experiences" is repeated above. You also seem not that interested in seeing the Yukon or taking a longer tour- then book something else. I already suggested to look at photos etc.

Alaska is new to you, I am a different traveler, as I do a LOT of repeating on my trips, which always are always offering something new.

As for Kenai Fjords- this is for wildlife. You aren't going to see puffins, or sea otters otherwise, unless you are very lucky and happy with a distant fleeting glimpse. It is not a whale watch, but some humpbacks could be seen. The resident orca pod, has been frequently seen by me over the last several years. BUT you are looking at the wrong tour- which is a Bay tour- worthless for me. You need to be 6 hours on the water with one of the tours that leave at 11:30am. THEN you get a close up glacier view, you don't with Bear Glacier. EVERY glacier is different- don't even try to compare- they are in a constant state of change. :) It's up to you.

The other consideration I would be on, is a shuttle bus into Denali Park, if it could fit with the 2 nights. Toklat and Eielson have afternoon schedules (verify, I have no idea about this year)

Hi,

Thanks for the info PennyAgain & BudgetQueen. :)

Everyone is different of course, so what is essential to one person to do or see to another is lower on the list. If I don't choose to go with any recommendation it isn't because it is not worthwhile, just not our personal preference.

I find that for us, past experiences do influence what we will try on other trips as you get to know what sort of experiences are the ones to 'rock your boat' so to speak.:D

I am wary of also over doing things in regards to one type of experience & so dimishing the wow I get from something I would normally be blown away by in isolation. I enjoy feeling impressed by the grandeur or novelty of something, so for me that means pacing myself & choosing carefully to maximise the wow factor. especially on a 6.5 week holiday.

BudgetQueen, it's not that I'm not interested in seeing the Yukon but I'm trying to find out what there is to see there specificially, compared to the shorter train trips, I have looked at photos as you suggest & I haven't seen anything more spectacular to me than in the earlier part of the trip, but I could be wrong so this is why I seek the forum members input.

For example the Yulon suspension bridge I decided against was because we are planning on doing the Capilano Suspension Bridge/Cliff Walk/Treetop adventure in Vancouver after the Alaska tour, so I felt the Yukon bridge was the less exciting scenically to me.

This is why I was hoping for some detail on what the longer trip offered that was different in case I'm missing something.:)

Also, in general we want to be active & moving as much as possible so being on a train for 8 hours with only short breaks is less appealing than the shorter trip combined with a hike & zip line or kayak tour of the icebergs for example.

So the long train trip would have to be worthwhile as it means missing other activities if we do it you see, so I need to fully understand what the longer trip offers before I decide.

Many factors go through my mind when balancing what to do, so my not being keen on a particular event is usually due to all the other factors in play.

Thanks again for your input, I do value your insights.

Hi,

Thanks for the info PennyAgain & BudgetQueen. :)

Everyone is different of course, so what is essential to one person to do or see to another is lower on the list. If I don't choose to go with any recommendation it isn't because it is not worthwhile, just not our personal preference.

I find that for us, past experiences do influence what we will try on other trips as you get to know what sort of experiences are the ones to 'rock your boat' so to speak.:D

I am wary of also over doing things in regards to one type of experience & so dimishing the wow I get from something I would normally be blown away by in isolation. I enjoy feeling impressed by the grandeur or novelty of something, so for me that means pacing myself & choosing carefully to maximise the wow factor. especially on a 6.5 week holiday.

BudgetQueen, it's not that I'm not interested in seeing the Yukon but I'm trying to find out what there is to see there specificially, compared to the shorter train trips, I have looked at photos as you suggest & I haven't seen anything more spectacular to me than in the earlier part of the trip, but I could be wrong so this is why I seek the forum members input.

For example the Yulon suspension bridge I decided against was because we are planning on doing the Capilano Suspension Bridge/Cliff Walk/Treetop adventure in Vancouver after the Alaska tour, so I felt the Yukon bridge was the less exciting scenically to me.

This is why I was hoping for some detail on what the longer trip offered that was different in case I'm missing something.:)

Also, in general we want to be active & moving as much as possible so being on a train for 8 hours with only short breaks is less appealing than the shorter trip combined with a hike & zip line or kayak tour of the icebergs for example.

So the long train trip would have to be worthwhile as it means missing other activities if we do it you see, so I need to fully understand what the longer trip offers before I decide.

Many factors go through my mind when balancing what to do, so my not being keen on a particular event is usually due to all the other factors in play.

Thanks again for your input, I do value your insights.

You need an Alaska travel planner which can spend the time researching and going over the details you want. Frankly, this thread is not giving you the information you seek, which is more than I am willing to spend time.

For me- Alaska is a constant WOW, especially after 30+++ trips. it seems to me, you want more.

Hi Avalon, I can't comment specifically on the information you're seeking since its been a few years since our Alaska cruise. But I understand perfectly where you're coming from on past experiences influencing what you see. We personally found that the White Pass rail trip that we did was a real snoozer as we are accustommed to awesome mountain vistas where we live. Not saying it wasn't nice but the hype we had read about did not translate to the experience we expected. Seeing the trail the gold seekers used was cool though.

Thanks Armchairtravelwoman,

Yes it's all about your perspective, we live in a beautiful rural scenic part of Australia so much of the scenery in NZ for example was less awe inspiring for us than for many of our fellow travellers from the city, although still very beautiful.

We have just this past month also cruised the fjords of NZ, some of the mountain scenes from the Lord of The Rings movies were filmed there, so similar scenery in Alaska will not be as wow for us.

That's why I'm trying to work out what scenery in Alaska is more unique to that part of the world & make sure we see it while we are there to make best use of our limited time in that part of the world.

I'm glad you can appreciate my perspective, thanks for your input.

It looks like the short White Pass rail journey will be the best choice for us & that leaves time in Skagway to do something else as well. :)

Well Turnagain Arm in Alaska is technically a fjord. I've seen fjords in Norway and Iceland and the Bay of Fundy the thing I've noticed in all my travels to Alaska is that the fjords in Alaska have fewer signs of civilization.

Please report back after your trip to let us know how you feel about the Alaska experience.

Personally I get very bored on railway scenic trips, but that is my opinion and is worth what you've paid to hear it.

Thanks for you input CT Granny.

I was comparing Alaska to NZ in regards to the scenery, I am aware that Australia, although diverse in scenery, doesn't have the Fjords/Glaciers etc of those 2 countries. :)

It looks like the short White Pass rail journey will be the best choice for us & that leaves time in Skagway to do something else as well. :)

Avalon, the other tour we did in Skagway was the helicopter flight to the Denver Glacier. That was the trip of a lifetime and we will never forget it! We hadn't been in a helicopter before and soaring next to the towering granite cliffs was amazing, not to mention actually being on the glacier once we landed. That was a real wow factor tour for us and I highly recommend it. :)

Avalon, the other tour we did in Skagway was the helicopter flight to the Denver Glacier. That was the trip of a lifetime and we will never forget it! We hadn't been in a helicopter before and soaring next to the towering granite cliffs was amazing, not to mention actually being on the glacier once we landed. That was a real wow factor tour for us and I highly recommend it. :)

Yes, those flight/glacier trips (especially the ones with the dog sled ride included) sound really good, but the cost factor may be over our budget, as this Alaska trip is at the start of a 6.5 week long trip, which you can imagine is already adding up.

But will certainly keep it in mind. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Archived