Spend night in Paris vs. Marseille

vmjp

We will be leaving on a 7-day NCL cruise out of Marseille this June. We will be spending either 2 or 3 nights before the cruise in Paris, plus 1 more night after the cruise.

For the night before we depart from Marseille: would you prefer to take a train to Marseille the day before and spend the night there, or would you prefer to spend the night in Paris and take a train the morning of (cruise departs in the afternoon) and why?

We would spend the extra night in Paris. Although we normally recommend getting to a port the day before a cruise this would be the exception. Bottom line for us is that Paris is one of our favorite cities (in the world) and Marseille is not. We would take a train pretty early in the day to give us some extra peace of mind about getting to the port on time, but barring a train strike (always announced in advance) you should be fine.

Hank

I, of course, agree with Hank.Why would anyone give up another night in Paris for Marseilles?? No way since you can take the train in the AM.Enjoy!!!:D

Yup, I thought it was a trick question. Would never give up a night in Paris, especially for Marseille. Sleeping on AM train to Marseille is a great way to rest before your cruise. ;)

Book the extra night in Paris. Monitor for any (unlikely) train strikes while there in case you would need to change plans.

While I think Marseilles gets a bit of a bad rap from some, it's certainly nothing to compare to Paris.

Leaving out of Marseille in a couple weeks and spending night in Paris. What is best train option in the morning and what can we expect to pay $USD?

I'd book directly on the SNCF website. Looks like there's a train every hour with pricing depending on the specific train and how long in advance you book. Cheapest I saw was 35 EUR.

Archived