Fitting Seward into our tour

karen of PA

We are taking a cruisetour on Princess in May and will arrive in Whittier after our cruise and will then begin our land tour. When we get into Whittier, we get on a bus to the Kenai Princess Lodge. I was wondering if logistically there is any way we can spend that first day seeing Seward. Do we have to go directly to Kenai and then find a way to get back to Seward or would it be possible to get to Seward somehow and then find our own transportation to the lodge?

The following day we have a boat tour to the Kenai National Park through Princess and I understand the boat leaves from Seward but I don't think the tour provides additional time in Seward. The tour returns us to the lodge and the following morning we leave for Talkeetna.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Karen

You will be going to the Kenai Lodge first. From there, I am assuming you have a morning arrival, since they don't keep you in Whittier. Princess runs several shuttle buses back and forth to Seward, just about every day. All you have to do is call them to get the current information in May.

If you are intent in getting there early, then there is a taxi that will take you directly there. You would need to verify the Princess shuttle bus schedule, since you will not be able to just "find your own way back" without another taxi.

The only way you for to explore Seward that first day is via a VERY expensive taxi service ... about $350 from Whittier to Seward, then another taxi to Cooper Landing which is about 50 miles from Seward, so maybe another $150.

The Kenai Princess is very isolated, probably 5 miles from the hwy. The closest town is Cooper Landing which isn't really a town in the typical sense, just a scattering of fishing vendors, cabins, and restaurants.

Are you doing the 8am cruise or 11/11:30am ? If the early one can you use one of the Princess shuttles that's bringing guests back from some other activity? Maybe one of the tours lasts into the evening and you could come back with that group? That would enable you to do a little sightseeing after the kenai cruise.

At the Kenai and Talkeetna properties you really are a captive; totally dependent on Princess to leave the property and get anywhere.

Is DIY not an option for you?

I will check to see if a shuttle bus is running from the lodge to Seward. That seems like my best option, if possible. We just can't afford a taxi at that price. Looks like we are on the 11:00 boat cruise because we don't return to Seward until 6:15 so staying in Seward after the boat cruise is probably out.

I would prefer DIY but unfortunately, one of the members in our group of 4 is physically challenged and we chose the cruisetour to make it easier on her - especially with the handling of our luggage. From what I have read, it looks like I will want to return to Alaska. So on my next trip, I will definitely plan my own tour.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Archived