One way Car Rental??

KatPem

Not sure if this goes here.....does anyone have any experience with one way car rentals from MIami to their home??? We are looking at renting a car and they charge a drop fee from Indiana to MIami. I really want to fly but can't afford airfare times 6 at spring break. Hubby asked if I had looked into flying there and driving home, well, I had looked into renting to get there (our car is older and may not make it) but it was going to be $1000 for 3 day rental due to drop fee so I didn't look anymore. I came home and looked and a 3 day rental from Miami to Indiana is showing $90-120...COULD THIS BE RIGHT??? Do they not charge a drop fee to all one way rentals??? So worried we would get there and then be like 'oops, we made a mistake' so does anyone have any experience? I can afford to fly there if we drove back at these prices!

It's good that you are skeptical but it may be legit. The major national chains (Hertz, Avis, etc) have national pools of cars. There may be extra cars in Florida and other warm climates that need to be positioned north for spring and summer. In that case they may not charge OW fees.

OTOH, if it's "Smiling Al's Car and Awning Rentals" then I'd be very careful.

Have you checked the same date with the same company, but *to* Miami? If a OW drop fee shows up, then my comment is probably what's going on. If it's with a major company, I would reserve the car *pronto*. The deal may go away. After you place your reservation then call and confirm there's no OW fee. Keep in mind that in most cases you can cancel a rental car reservation or even no-show without penalty. Exceptions are prepaid deals, or through a third party like Expedia. Best to just reserve directly with the car company.

Last comment- are you really "saving" money? MIA-IND is 18 hours drive time, which means 2 nights lodging since you won't leave MIA until noon. If your $100 rental car gets 24mpg that's $185 in gas for the 1200 miles, $150 for 2 nights of budget motels and $150 for meals. That's $585 if you're very budget-conscious. I bet airfare isn't much more expensive, and only you can put a value on 48 hours extra travel time. (If you do the "Cannonball Run" some of the costs will be lower). :)

Last comment- are you really "saving" money? MIA-IND is 18 hours drive time, which means 2 nights lodging since you won't leave MIA until noon. If your $100 rental car gets 24mpg that's $185 in gas for the 1200 miles, $150 for 2 nights of budget motels and $150 for meals. That's $585 if you're very budget-conscious. I bet airfare isn't much more expensive, and only you can put a value on 48 hours extra travel time.

I haven't seen one-way or even "half of round trip" fares between MIA and IND for under $100/person. Maybe you know something that most of us don't??

Not sure if this goes here.....does anyone have any experience with one way car rentals from MIami to their home??? We are looking at renting a car and they charge a drop fee from Indiana to MIami. I really want to fly but can't afford airfare times 6 at spring break. Hubby asked if I had looked into flying there and driving home, well, I had looked into renting to get there (our car is older and may not make it) but it was going to be $1000 for 3 day rental due to drop fee so I didn't look anymore. I came home and looked and a 3 day rental from Miami to Indiana is showing $90-120...COULD THIS BE RIGHT??? Do they not charge a drop fee to all one way rentals??? So worried we would get there and then be like 'oops, we made a mistake' so does anyone have any experience? I can afford to fly there if we drove back at these prices!

Yes, sometimes the companies need to move the cars out of Florida at the end of winter. As long as it is with a big company like Budget or Hertz, go for it.

Thanks for the responses! It was through budget. I have it reserved but am trying to talk my hubby (read el-cheapo lol) into a Monday morning flight home instead. I haven't found hardly any airfare IND-FLL or MIA for under $350-400 each way! Times 6 that adds up. I HATE to drive for more than what I am comfortable doing in one day and to MIami is too far for that lol

I was able to book us flights from St Louis for $131 a person. It is a 5 hour drive there....I have found returning flights for $140 a person back to STL if we come home Monday. My husband is not realistic about all this so I am going to work on putting it in black and white for him so hopefully I will be able to cancel the car and will turn our drive into a 5 hour one instead of 20-25!

I looked into a car to Miami and it was $900 due to one way charge so I was shocked it wasn't charged to Indiana. We were planning on renting for 2 weeks and just parking at the port (I am handicapped so we have a permit and it is free) while on the cruise but it is $800 for that too.

Thanks again everyone! I have found the more endless research I do, the better I find.

Maybe you know something that most of us don't??

Well, I know how to add? LOL!! If you read my post again, the all-in cost estimate to drive is $585. Or, there's something one of us doesn't "get"...could be me!

Times 6 that adds up.

OK, you didn't mention it was 6 people, so that changes the math quite a bit! I assumed it was a couple.

Budget is a second-tier rental car company. Usually pretty reliable and straightforward, but definitely double-double check there isn't a OW fee.

Since it sounds like you're a bit new to renting cars (no problem), be aware the car sizes are exaggerated. A Camry is usually "intermediate" and a Taurus is "Full size" or "standard". No way will 6 people and luggage fit in either, let alone being comfortable. You may need to even rent a mini-van, which of course raises the $585 all-in cost I provided for 2 people. Most state laws allow 4 max in a hotel/motel room, so double the lodging costs. Triple the meal cost since it's 6 instead of 2, and raise the rental and gas costs.

Still a reasonable thing to consider since it's airfare x 6.

I really want to fly but can't afford airfare times 6 at spring break.

OK, you didn't mention it was 6 people, so that changes the math quite a bit! I assumed it was a couple.

Actually, in the OP's original post, he/she did mention that it was 6. ;)

Actually, in the OP's original post, he/she did mention that it was 6. ;)

Well, I know how to add? LOL!! If you read my post again, the all-in cost estimate to drive is $585. Or, there's something one of us doesn't "get"...could be me!

Yes, as you can see, it was you. Lots of people just post info without carefully reading the OP's. But you are forgiven:)

Yes, as you can see, it was you. Lots of people just post info without carefully reading the OP's. But you are forgiven:)

Nice to rub people's noses in occasional mistakes after readily admitting to it. I don't understand the point of belaboring the mistake...guess you're perfect? Must be rough to be so insecure and always needing to be right. :)

We have rented cars multiple times, just never returning it at a different location. The price was for a mini-van since that or a full-sized $$$ is all that will fit the 6 of us (not one of those idiots that will drive with an extra squeezed in without although my kids are the size of twigs lol). Yeah, I figure $300 for gas, $100 for the rental, plus lodging. It stinks that hardly any places can accommodate families of 6. There is only 5 1/2 years from our oldest to our youngest. Thankfully now at their ages we can split up comfortably but when they were little it was HUGE pain. We look for hotels along the way that will allow 5 or 6 and if need be hubby will sleep in the car versus spend another $100 on a room.

We look for hotels along the way that will allow 5 or 6 and if need be hubby will sleep in the car versus spend another $100 on a room.

Many lodgings are restricted by local and state laws on the number of people to a room and the length of a stay. The "suites" and "extended stay" type of places fall into a different category. IIRC it's related to fire codes, and areas not wanting transient hotels or "hourly" places.

Be sure to double-check with Budget that there truly isn't a OW charge. Rental car companies have a knack for pulling surprises at the counter when you don't have options. At pick-up, be sure the contract specifically shows no OW charge, or shows it as zero. Have them add it in if it doesn't to have more clout if they try to add it on later. As you know from your past rentals the contract says they can collect additional charges later, and the prices shown are estimated. I've had post-rental surprises from most of the car companies...I think they count on people and businesses not closely auditing the credit card charges.

Glad you worked it out; it must be a big challenge for 6 to travel (planning, financially, etc).

You really don't need to plan on two nights in a hotel either. For an 18 hour drive it is certainly doable with just one sleep. Say you get off the ship and to the car rental place by 10:00. Driving until 6:00 or 7:00 is only 8 or 9 hours and you are half way home before it is even dark out.

I drive from LA to Vancouver easily all the time. The key is to not waste "stopping" time. We go to the bathroom when we get gas unless it is a quick rest area stop. We bring food or go through drive throughs and eat in the car. You can easily waste an hour just getting lunch and I'd rather get to my destination and be done with it. Look for a city along your route (use mapquest to see how many miles) and figure that is where you will stop. Then just drive.

Of course if your kids are little ones then this will make it harder.

...kenish, interesting read....although I have a confirmation and usually am one to document things, this encouraged me to be even more diligent on doing so. Yes, it is a challenge and this started off as a trip for my husband and I (we have only been on 2 real vacations in the last 15 years), once we thought about it...our oldest is a sophomore and we had four kids in 5 1/2 years so we haven't had the means to do this until now so we thought we should take them as well. We have done camping trips, visits to grandmas in FL, trips to the aunts in AZ before but this will be our first 'real' vacation.

Notentirelynormal....MapQuest is saying it will take 20 hours to get home, I would bet we are going to hit at least some traffic since it is spring break and stops aren't figured in either. I know we will have to stop one night. The kids are 9-15 so we don't have to stop for them as much as I need to stop (with having 4 kids in 5 1/2 years lol) We are going to play it by ear. I have MS so if I get too worn out, we may have to stop a second night. I do a good chunk of the driving since I get car sick easily. On the plus side though, after this year we will have another driver ;)

I live in Ontario Canada, a 22 hour, 1500 mile drive to S Florida each way. We have a daughter living in the Ft Lauderdale area and have driven down more times than I can count. Your children are older so a one night stop is very doable barring any unforseen hold-ups. Just be sure to have a confirmed reservation at a hotel en route. There is nothing worse than being dead tired and finding there isn't a hotel room to be had.

... On the plus side though, after this year we will have another driver ;)

You are likely referring to driving your own car, since rentals usually require an age of 22/25 for an additional driver.

If the price is really cheap on a rental for Indiana to Florida or vice versa, check to be sure you're being quoted for unlimited miles. Chances are the price you are seeing is for the car rental and each mile costs extra - will be a huge expense.

Didn't read the entire post, but saw mention that you could fly from STL. Check the Southwest/Airtran fares. Sometimes they have great deals. Also check other major airports. Maybe you could do a one way rental cheap to another state with a major airport and get a really cheap flight.

You are likely referring to driving your own car, since rentals usually require an age of 22/25 for an additional driver.

yes, I am aware of that and yes, we would be driving our own car if she were driving.

Just be sure to have a confirmed reservation at a hotel en route. There is nothing worse than being dead tired and finding there isn't a hotel room to be had.

Good idea, thanks

It sounds like you plan to fly down from STL. How are you getting to stl? You might consider Greyhound. I've done it from StL to Indy and it was only about $25.

You might also price Amtrak if you can spare the time.

Yes, we are planning on renting a van to STL. For $150 we can get a minivan with unlimited miles. I will keep greyhound in mind and check into it, but our lovely athletic director scheduled a track meet for my daughter on Thursday night, she sat out most of her freshman season with a crushed bone in her foot so she is REALLY not wanting to miss a meet but flying out of Indy on Friday wasn't doable and we were concerned that we wouldn't have enough time to drive the entire way, especially if we got into traffic. We were planning on renting a minivan from home as our older Suburban sucks the gas. Anyway, the rental van there, flight and rental van home is the same as rental van for the whole time. She could miss her meet and that was the plan but when this opportunity popped up, we grabbed it.

If the price is really cheap on a rental for Indiana to Florida or vice versa, check to be sure you're being quoted for unlimited miles. Chances are the price you are seeing is for the car rental and each mile costs extra - will be a huge expense.

Didn't read the entire post, but saw mention that you could fly from STL. Check the Southwest/Airtran fares. Sometimes they have great deals. Also check other major airports. Maybe you could do a one way rental cheap to another state with a major airport and get a really cheap flight.

Thanks ;) I have been living on the airlines sites lol I checked for nearest 2000 miles from Indy airports to MIA or FLL and that is how I found the flight there. Southwest had a descent flight back to STL but hubby didn't want to spend the extra since we got such a good rate on the rental back ($103 and it is for unlimited miles).

I was researching price differences for my cruise, and renting one-way to MIA (from Dallas) and one-way back is actually MORE expensive than just renting for two weeks and paying to park. In fact, the one-way to MIA alone is more.

Here's what I found:

Least expensive rental to fit fam of 4, one-way to MIA: $472 (SUV special)

Least expensive rental to fit fam of 4, one-way back to Dallas: $177 (SUV special)

vs.

Least expensive rental to fit fam of 4, round trip, two-weeks: $324 (full size sedan)

Parking: $9 x 7 days = $63

Incidentally, one-way airfare, for some reason, was almost as much as round-trip airfare.

Archived