All Things Adventure of the Seas

Does anybody have the soft drink prices so that I can see whether it's worth getting a package or not?

We have always done the soft drink package ... it is roughly $96 for the 2 of us ... and we feel it is well worth the cost. We do like soda with our meal & after walking in port I usually have a couple glasses of tonic water so I believe it is cost effective for us.

I personally always stay at the ritz. It's closer to the airport but has great food on site. Along with various local flavors within walking distance. There is also a chilis across the street for those missing (home) along with a bk and a few other food places. It's about a 7min drive to the port and 10ish to old San Juan. Great beaches and a beautiful pool.

I was wondering about that "neighborhood"; my DH is gold elite with Marriott, so if we aren't staying in a boutique hotel somewhere we stay in the Marriott. Last time we stayed at the LaConcha, and I loved that there were places to shop and eat across the street, and it was on the beach. This time the Isla Verde is the best deal, but I haven't been...it's right next to the Ritz... So can I ask you...

Is there shopping nearby, you mention chilis, is there a Starbucks? Also, it appears both Isla Verde Marriott and the Ritz are beach front, even though they are very close to the airport,can you confirm?

Much thanks! I trolled around google sat maps and that seems to be the case, but would like a first hand report!

Haven't sailed out of San Juan for several years. Last time, we stayed at Caribe Hilton. Am thinking about staying at Condado Plaza Hilton the next time. We want something that has more eating options within walking distance. Can anyone provide thoughts on the hotel?

Thanks!

Condado area is great, lots of restaurants from street side grills to upscale dining. Also a big Walgreens which specializes in last minute wine and stuff to get before boarding, it was open very late on the weekends. It's not sleepy, and quite safe and lively at night. I have some photos in the early part of my Jewel Southern review in my signature.

OSJ has many boutique hotels and also some larger ones like El Covento and the Sheraton (these are not cheap) ...these are close to the port where some of the other cruise ships dock, but not near the RCCL ships which dock at the pan American pier across the way, so you would still have to take a cab to the pier from OSJ. From those hotels you can walk to many shops and restaurants and the sites of OSJ or take the free trolley. We stayed in one of the boutique hotels, that was more rustic and we definitely were affected by street noise in OSJ, but that's part of the "charm" - you have to decide if that's for you! They are much cheaper than the large resort hotels.

The area that UNVIT mentions is Isla Verde...have not stayed there but am thinking about for the next cruise...it's very close to the airport.

Good luck!

I was wondering about that "neighborhood"; my DH is gold elite with Marriott, so if we aren't staying in a boutique hotel somewhere we stay in the Marriott. Last time we stayed at the LaConcha, and I loved that there were places to shop and eat across the street, and it was on the beach. This time the Isla Verde is the best deal, but I haven't been...it's right next to the Ritz... So can I ask you...

Is there shopping nearby, you mention chilis, is there a Starbucks? Also, it appears both Isla Verde Marriott and the Ritz are beach front, even though they are very close to the airport,can you confirm?

Much thanks! I trolled around google sat maps and that seems to be the case, but would like a first hand report!

The neighborhood seems to me fine during the day and even early evenings (sun down) I personally haven't wandered around there at late night (after 11) except when leaving the cock fighting arena. Which is also fine. I personally can't remember if there was a Starbucks in that area. Never looked. I haven't stayed At the Marriott, only the ritz but my understanding is the marriott is also beach front. The ritz is 100% ocean front.

The neighborhood seems to me fine during the day and even early evenings (sun down) I personally haven't wandered around there at late night (after 11) except when leaving the cock fighting arena. Which is also fine. I personally can't remember if there was a Starbucks in that area. Never looked. I haven't stayed At the Marriott, only the ritz but my understanding is the marriott is also beach front. The ritz is 100% ocean front.

Thanks!

Condado area is great, lots of restaurants from street side grills to upscale dining. Also a big Walgreens which specializes in last minute wine and stuff to get before boarding, it was open very late on the weekends. It's not sleepy, and quite safe and lively at night. I have some photos in the early part of my Jewel Southern review in my signature.

OSJ has many boutique hotels and also some larger ones like El Covento and the Sheraton (these are not cheap) ...these are close to the port where some of the other cruise ships dock, but not near the RCCL ships which dock at the pan American pier across the way, so you would still have to take a cab to the pier from OSJ. From those hotels you can walk to many shops and restaurants and the sites of OSJ or take the free trolley. We stayed in one of the boutique hotels, that was more rustic and we definitely were affected by street noise in OSJ, but that's part of the "charm" - you have to decide if that's for you! They are much cheaper than the large resort hotels.

The area that UNVIT mentions is Isla Verde...have not stayed there but am thinking about for the next cruise...it's very close to the airport.

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback. Most hotels haven't released rooms for the end of March 2015 yet so I have a bit of time before making a decision. Will keep reading reviews of hotels and checking these boards for additional information. Looking forward to getting back on Adventure! :D

Thank you for the feedback. Most hotels haven't released rooms for the end of March 2015 yet so I have a bit of time before making a decision. Will keep reading reviews of hotels and checking these boards for additional information. Looking forward to getting back on Adventure! :D

Have you checked recently? I just researched 3 Marriotts and the Sheraton and one boutique hotel late last week for April '15 and all showed rates and availability and I booked one for my dates already, seems March should be open now.

I also booked 3 of my 4 excursions- only one said her 2105 calendar won't be out till September - everyone else took my reservation. I'll always confirm with tours a month or so before departure.

Not that you have to book that early! There are plenty of rooms!

Edited by Familygoboston

Since I officially booked on Friday, I will be looking at just about everything coming up - hotels, where to eat, what excursions to book, etc.

The pictures that were posted were very helpful for me. Excuse me for not going back through all the pages, but I believe that AOS just got out of dry dock, right? It will be interesting to see what people think of the changes that were made.

The interesting thing is that the poster of the pictures (Peter, I think) is in room 1324. When my TA was booking, he put in for the same room but it was taken. Then room 1584 came up and I grabbed it, as there is no way for me to know if one particular grand suite is better than another. I'm assuming that if upgrades were made to one, they were probably made to all so that what I saw in suite 1324 I can expect with the my room.

My first two cruises were on Explorer, so I'm familiar with the overall size and layout.

A lot of my questions surround SJ and the ports.

Someone earlier said that they were on the same itinerary. Any suggestions on what to see and what excursions to book would be great!!

Does anybody have the soft drink prices so that I can see whether it's worth getting a package or not?

I haven't been on AOS yet, but I think the pricing may be uniform. If so, it's something like $6.95 a day, per person. So, if you drink 2 or 3 sodas a day, then it is worthwhile. My husband and daughter opted for the soda package for our upcoming cruise on Freedom, and I'm sure my husband will like one on AOS for the May 2015 cruise as well.

What soft drinks can you get as part of the coca cola package from the AOS? The choice seems a lot less than the other ships which have the self serve machines

If you mean Adventure, then the choices are Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, soda water, and tonic water.

Edited by clarea

of the ships we've been on we've found that Liberty has the BEST size balcony by far. Wasn't a fan of the Adventure because of all the metal above, below and around the balcony. I have posted a picture on one of my threads of Adventure which we were on in February this year.

okay, so i am booking the cabin 8352 on Adventure my travel agent tells me that it is double occupancy, but there is room to put my kids in the room?

I am booking another room with all my four kids in one room, but plan to have my younger daughters in my room with me, probably not for all the nights but we will swap back in forth, depending. Is there room on the sofa? Do they make that up for a bed??

Help, really not sure???

thanks in advance

cj

okay, so i am booking the cabin 8352 on Adventure my travel agent tells me that it is double occupancy, but there is room to put my kids in the room?

I am booking another room with all my four kids in one room, but plan to have my younger daughters in my room with me, probably not for all the nights but we will swap back in forth, depending. Is there room on the sofa? Do they make that up for a bed??

Help, really not sure???

thanks in advance

cj

8352 does not have a sofa bed or pullmans, so technically will only sleep 2.

Hi,

Going on AOS in 2 weeks for first cruise, does anyone know if you get a kettle in the cabin? Have a superior balcony on deck 10,

Are you allowed to bring travel kettle or would steward get you one from ship stock?

Tbh this will make the difference between buying a drinks package or not if I can bring my green tea and coffee on board for morning/night.

Thanks,

Dalcross

Hi,

Going on AOS in 2 weeks for first cruise, does anyone know if you get a kettle in the cabin? Have a superior balcony on deck 10,

Are you allowed to bring travel kettle or would steward get you one from ship stock?

Tbh this will make the difference between buying a drinks package or not if I can bring my green tea and coffee on board for morning/night.

Thanks,

Dalcross

Hello,

All cabins on ships out of UK ports have kettles.

Regards,

Cublet

They must have some sort of kettle storage room for when the ships come back to the US. There the heck to they keep a thousand of those things??:confused::confused:

Same place they keep the clotted cream things.:p

Same place they keep the clotted cream things.:p

Hello,

It's the picture of Adam Goldstein pushing a trolley with 2000 electric kettles around a Walmart store I cannot imagine.:D

I've yet to experience 'real' clotted cream on RCI - not even Cunard manage it!:eek: Anyone coming to Europe (Madeira - Portugal) should take Afternoon Tea at Reid's Hotel but not on a RCI excursion.

Regards,

Cublet

Am onboard Aos now for 4 nighter and no kettles in rooms yet, we are in a balcony cabin. Maybe they haven't brought them out of storage yet ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums