Category Upgrade vs Cabin Upgrade

ravinblue

I was reading some of the threads regarding onboard booking (Celebrity Reserved Passage) and it seems that most people are not big fans, especially if you are RCI shareholders and get OBC anyway which can't be combined with the OBC from the Passages program. I was more interested in the Upgrade promise - "Up to 3 Categories". I thought that might mean you could book an ocean view and get upgraded to a balcony? Or is that a cabin upgrade and not the same thing? What exactly is a category upgrade and how much $$$ can that be worth?

Frank

I was reading some of the threads regarding onboard booking (Celebrity Reserved Passage) and it seems that most people are not big fans, especially if you are RCI shareholders and get OBC anyway which can't be combined with the OBC from the Passages program. I was more interested in the Upgrade promise - "Up to 3 Categories". I thought that might mean you could book an ocean view and get upgraded to a balcony? Or is that a cabin upgrade and not the same thing? What exactly is a category upgrade and how much $$$ can that be worth?

Frank

The Upgrades, if available, are within the same category. You cannot go into a higher category. Thete are limits on some of the movement within the categories as well. For example: You can't pay for a C3 and get a C1, you can only get a C2 at the C1 price. The amount you save can vary from cruise to cruise. Usually less than $100 savig.

Rather than thinking of these as Upgrades, they are more like Down Price.

You can't cross the category barriers, so to speak..

Here's how it works:

Using the M-class ships as an example, you can book a category 4 and pay the category 7 price (ocean view, no verandah). That's a three-category upgrade.

You can't book the 2C (verandah) and pay the category 4 (non verandah) price, as that moves you across the barrier from non-verandah to verandah.

Yes, mostly location and obstructions.

Insides are lowest in desirability ( in general, although some people prefer them)

Then ocean view (no verandah)

Then standard verandah

Concierge are more pricey (a few more amenities and larger cabins (m class ships only)

Aqua next

Then Aqua Suites and Suites

Archived