Internet on the Odyssey

chriswat

We will be using the internet quite a lot working on the Odyssey - gather we need to pay - does anyone have ideas of price of purchasing 24 hours use.

Via a thread on page 2:

INTERNET PRICES ON THE SOJOURN - As of July 2, 2011

For infrequent use - $0.40 a minute

Buy one hour for $9.99

Buy a daily package at $39.99 and have access for 24hrs.

Seven day unlimited package is $234.00

Cruise exceeds 7 days and want unlimited time the cost is $399.99

If you aren't already aware the internet connection on a ship is more similar to 56k or ISDN and perhaps slow DSL on a good day than a T or OC connection. Sometimes just getting a connection can be a miracle. That is don't expect a constant connection, or good speeds. Also ports of bandwidth hogging applications are frequently blocked.

I have been on Odyssey for a week now from Auckland to Sydney to Brisbane en route to Hamlton Island. No problems connecting to wifi for e.g. this site which takes 3-4 seconds to load on my ipad.

So my advice is to sign up, use it and enjoy all that the ship has to offer!

Happy cruising!

Anyone experienced the Mediterranean, we are doing Istanbul to venice and would definitely get it for the 14 days if it actually works in that region. I hoped it might, not being an ocean crossing which I do expect would be a problem.

Anyone experienced the Mediterranean, we are doing Istanbul to venice and would definitely get it for the 14 days if it actually works in that region. I hoped it might, not being an ocean crossing which I do expect would be a problem.

deleted

There's still weather and positioning issues as well as what other passengers are doing. On my Regent Voyager cruise inet in the Med was more problematic than my Seabourn Baltic cruise.

Something else to consider is there are only so many satellites to bounce signals off of. So more ships trying to use the same satellite is equal to more bandwidth throttling and connection issues.

Thanks baychilla,

I will probably get the wifi for the 2 weeks, just for convenience. Yes I expect the speed would depend on the traffic using the satellite at the time.

It's just to me as an IT geek ships don't have the covareage/consistency my job requires.

Archived