Catholic Mass

Yes, I remember you mentioning you did some time with the Cowleys (SSJE) in Cambridge. I have a soft spot for them; they ministered to my church for many years in the 1940s and 1950s when we were without a priest during their chaplaincy for the nearby All Saints Sisters of the Poor. Way before my time, but anyway...

Yes, exactly! When I was with them they were involved with the ministry at the Church of the Advent, but I was a Postulant and then a Novice and didn't get to help there ... I Deaconed in the Monastery and helped out in the editorial department at Cowley Press.

Edited by RevNeal

Am I the only one visualizing Satan doing somersaults as you all argue?

How can we attract people to the Christian faith if that is what they see?

I grew up "very" methodist and a few years ago my husband and I converted to Catholicism together. We are always trying to learn more and strengthen our faith, and I consider myself an actively practicing catholic. With that said, I am definitely in the "Can't we all just get along" camp. It saddens me that this thread has gotten so off track- someone was just asking if he could receive the body and blood of Christ while onboard a HAL ship. Praise God HAL recognizes this need, accommodates it and fellow cruisers are seeking it out. Let's focus on that and sharing the love of Christ as He called us to do.

Praise God HAL recognizes this need, accommodates it and fellow cruisers are seeking it out. Let's focus on that and sharing the love of Christ as He called us to do.

I agree. HAL's willingness to provide such opportunities is among the reasons why I prefer to cruise with them over other Lines.

Edited by RevNeal

I grew up "very" methodist and a few years ago my husband and I converted to Catholicism together. We are always trying to learn more and strengthen our faith, and I consider myself an actively practicing catholic. With that said, I am definitely in the "Can't we all just get along" camp. It saddens me that this thread has gotten so off track- someone was just asking if he could receive the body and blood of Christ while onboard a HAL ship. Praise God HAL recognizes this need, accommodates it and fellow cruisers are seeking it out. Let's focus on that and sharing the love of Christ as He called us to do.

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this :)

• 1 year later...
Once, when I was on a long cruise where I wasn't the PGM, I asked the assigned PGM when he was going to Celebrate Communion and he said he wasn't going to do it. When I challenged him on that, he said that I could lead it if I wished. So, I talked to the Cruise Director and we scheduled it for the next Sunday morning (which was a Sea Day) ... the place was PACKED.

I have served twice as a guest minister on HAL but the guidelines provided to me at the time of my first assignment stated "... in order to provide a consistent experience, Communion should not be conducted as part of the interdenominational Protestant services." Had someone asked for Communion, I would gladly have celebrated it with them in my cabin or elsewhere. However, coming prepared for Communion and getting approval from the Entertainment Director sounds like a fine idea. I'll try that next time.

RevNeal,

I asked the Entertainment Director about holding a service for the crew and was told "No one would be interested." So I'm curious as to how you went about this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a Roman Catholic Priest. I have served on HAL as a Chaplain and on many other cruise lines as well. Sadly many cruise lines (except HAL) have dropped priests from the regular cruise docket.

However, HAL continues to bring a priest on board 99% of the time.

I am going on an upcoming priest as a passenger with friends paying the full fare.

I have notified, however, the priest who coordinates the cruises that if there is an emergency or a situation that creates a situation where there is no priest available on this cruise, I would be happy to say Daily Mass and Sunday Mass for the passengers and crew and to cover any emergencies even though I am officially a passenger. I always travel with my holy oils and my robe because many of the sites we visit such as Ephesus on this particular cruise have Catholic Shrines (such as the "House of Mary") and as a priest it would be very meaningful to me to have the chance to celebrate Mass at this shrine.

I have also met some very interesting crew members both in an official role as chaplain and also when I have traveled as a passenger (and i do believe in dressing as a priest even when I am on vacation) which have made my trips much more enjoyable and significant.

Celebrity used to have a "priest on board" program that had a priest on every ship. However, several years ago a group of passengers complained that they felt that one denomination was being given favorable treatment (according to what the corporate office said at Celebrity) over another group so that except for Christmas and Easter there would no longer be a "Priest On Board" program.

Crystal Cruises and HAL are the only two cruise lines that I know of which have a priest on every cruise except for Costa Cruise Lines that have a Catholic Priest assigned to every ship. In fact, he is a uniformed crew member as Costa Ships have a full blown chapel with the Blessed Sacrament, Stations of the Cross, and even a Baptismal Font on board! The Chapels are beautiful and are available for both passengers and crew 24 hours a day. Leave it to the Italian ship builders to create such a lovely place of prayer and refuge for passengers and crew on board.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the priests on-board are members of a society for ministry to seafarers. (The name is something like that, but I can't quite remember). They serve at ports as well for those working on all kinds of ships. Being Catholic, I would be reluctant to go on longer voyages if a priest was not available onboard to perform the mass.

I have also met many wonderful protestant ministers on-board that volunteer to lead worship services, that are often very well attended. All are welcome at the Catholic mass as well:)

The Name of the "Ministry" is the Apostolate of the Sea. It is a outreach of the Church to those who travel by sea which is administrated by the local Bishop in diocese's that have ports of call in their diocese.

Some Bishop's appoint a specific priest to be in charge of the "mission" in each specific port to tend to the needs of sailors who have been at sea for long journeys or short ones and have set up chapels in the actual ports of call and need help (regardless of their religion (Catholic or not)) and also to passengers on ships....

The Ministry can be quite rewarding and challenging, especially in times of peril.

It also includes ministry to the families of sailors and seamen.

By extension it can also include ministry to passengers on commercial vessels which would include cruise ship passengers. Part of this ministry of "The Apostolate of the Sea" includes in the United States, the ministry to cruise ship passengers. The priests who serve on Holland America cruises are members of the Apostolate of the Sea which is administered by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The reason for this organization, among others, is that there was a need to verify the status of priests and to be sure that they had "faculties" (that is the right and ability to say valid and lawful Masses in their own Dioceses) and that they were in good standing.

The organization would verify a priests status with his Bishop and then verify it with the cruise line who would then affirm his ability to validly say Mass, hear confessions, and minister to any passengers who might fall ill on the ship and need the assistance of a Catholic priest.

Edited by andrewjv1955

I am a Roman Catholic Priest. I have served on HAL as a Chaplain and on many other cruise lines as well. Sadly many cruise lines (except HAL) have dropped priests from the regular cruise docket.

However, HAL continues to bring a priest on board 99% of the time.

I am going on an upcoming priest as a passenger with friends paying the full fare.

I have notified, however, the priest who coordinates the cruises that if there is an emergency or a situation that creates a situation where there is no priest available on this cruise, I would be happy to say Daily Mass and Sunday Mass for the passengers and crew and to cover any emergencies even though I am officially a passenger. I always travel with my holy oils and my robe because many of the sites we visit such as Ephesus on this particular cruise have Catholic Shrines (such as the "House of Mary") and as a priest it would be very meaningful to me to have the chance to celebrate Mass at this shrine.

I have also met some very interesting crew members both in an official role as chaplain and also when I have traveled as a passenger (and i do believe in dressing as a priest even when I am on vacation) which have made my trips much more enjoyable and significant.

Celebrity used to have a "priest on board" program that had a priest on every ship. However, several years ago a group of passengers complained that they felt that one denomination was being given favorable treatment (according to what the corporate office said at Celebrity) over another group so that except for Christmas and Easter there would no longer be a "Priest On Board" program.

Crystal Cruises and HAL are the only two cruise lines that I know of which have a priest on every cruise except for Costa Cruise Lines that have a Catholic Priest assigned to every ship. In fact, he is a uniformed crew member as Costa Ships have a full blown chapel with the Blessed Sacrament, Stations of the Cross, and even a Baptismal Font on board! The Chapels are beautiful and are available for both passengers and crew 24 hours a day. Leave it to the Italian ship builders to create such a lovely place of prayer and refuge for passengers and crew on board.

Nice to see a Brother Priest posting on the Board.

• 3 years later...
This being said, for me attending Roman Catholic Mass can be a somewhat painful experience. It's like going to a banquet at which the food you love the most is being served, but you're not allowed to eat. Hence, for me, if I attend the Roman Catholic Mass I usually slip out following the the Creed or, if I stay for the Eucharistic Prayer, I exit during the Our Father.

Knowing only Catholic services from when I was a kid and unfortunately, funerals, what's the "food" you are not allowed to eat? Is there some extra magic in Protestant services I never heard about? You write as if it's obvious, but I can't find it on Google. (And taken literally, aren't Catholics the ones who actually get to eat and drink during a service?)

Knowing only Catholic services from when I was a kid and unfortunately, funerals, what's the "food" you are not allowed to eat? Is there some extra magic in Protestant services I never heard about? You write as if it's obvious, but I can't find it on Google. (And taken literally, aren't Catholics the ones who actually get to eat and drink during a service?)

You have bumped a very old thread.

I am sorry to say but Rev Neal (Greg) is not on the boards often now and probably can't answer the question.

There is no magic in a Protestant service. There are just some things that the different religious practices believe even if they hold to the same basic principles of religion. I am sure you can appreciate that just as I do.

In essence you should be Roman Catholic to participate in their communion. That is what "being invited to a banquet and not being able to eat" meant.

Catholics welcome Protestants to their services and vice versa. Communion in the Roman Catholic Church is not always welcome to all. But times are changing. I have been welcomed in DH's church (RC) and I am Protestant. And he has been welcomed into mine. We believe in the same things. The sacraments are irrelevant IMO. It's what you believe.

Edited by kazu

I noticed later, not sure how I got here :)

I am sorry to say but Rev Neal (Greg) is not on the boards often now and probably can't answer the question.

There is no magic in a Protestant service. There are just some things that the different religious practices believe even if they hold to the same basic principles of religion. I am sure you can appreciate that just as I do.

In essence you should be Roman Catholic to participate in their communion. That is what "being invited to a banquet and not being able to eat" meant.

Catholics welcome Protestants to their services and vice versa. Communion in the Roman Catholic Church is not always welcome to all. But times are changing. I have been welcomed in DH's church (RC) and I am Protestant. And he has been welcomed into mine. We believe in the same things. The sacraments are irrelevant IMO. It's what you believe.

IIRC it was the little kids that couldn't participate in the communion. Not allowing someone with an almost identical religion to participate sounds very oldfashioned. Then again, I'm not religious anymore so I don't really care :) I thought it was just interesting. Thank you!

I am glad that your parish has welcomed you at services and activities, which should be the case at all parishes. 🙂

However, with all due respect, your post seems to suggest that a priest or another religious might have advised to receive holy communion without the RCIA program and formal acceptance into the Catholic Church. I hope I misunderstood. I think that would not be normal, and I'm concerned if it's being suggested that there is such a trend. Hopefully I can say this without coming across as holier-than-thou (as very probably I am not!).

I am glad that your parish has welcomed you at services and activities, which should be the case at all parishes.

However, with all due respect, your post seems to suggest that a priest or another religious might have advised to receive holy communion without the RCIA program and formal acceptance into the Catholic Church. I hope I misunderstood. I think that would not be normal, and I'm concerned if it's being suggested that there is such a trend. Hopefully I can say this without coming across as holier-than-thou (as very probably I am not!).

Oh dear, a religious contentious issue for you apparently.

For the record, like it or not, I was offered to take part in Communion in a Roman Catholic Church over 30 years ago. I was working in a very rural community and it was the only church in 100 miles. Had I done it, it would have been done only on our "regular Protestant occasions" and was offered to us in private. I could have done it with the congregation but I declined.

It's not normal for communion to be offered to non RC as I thought I made clear in my post, but, some more open minded churches are coming around and realizing that it is better we come together than argue over semantics.

When DH and I were married (again, he's RC and I am not), our minister suggested communion and had us hold the wine and bread for all our guests to partake as he did the service. It was an interdenominational service so anyone could partake. That may be the solution to all of our problems. But never fear, your communion is safe from the "outsiders" even if we all believe in the same thing.

I am always troubled by Christian beliefs when the divisions are so minor and yet walls are wanting to be kept. I see no harm in anyone who believes in God taking communion in any church, but I am not a priest nor a minister. I simply think life is simpler than that and God would want us all to worship no matter where we choose.

This thread interestingly (and refreshingly) seems to demonstrate that the rule about never discussing religion might well be reconsidered intelligently. Together with politics, religion IS capable of being discussed civilly and creatively- if one avoids trying to impose ones own views - instead of listening , learning and contributing (as opposed to trying to convert).