Rain gear

misssea

Does anyone have a specific brand of rain gear that they have found useful while cruising Alaska? I don't own anything waterproof so I figure I will have to buy something.

We already had rain jackets, but we got our rainpants through REI. I wound up wearing mine on a couple of days that weren't rainy as a third layer on my legs (thermals, pants, rain pants), as it was was really cold.

And I agree waterproof spray on all jackets and shoes.

My rain jacket was one of the touristy ones you buy on the pier in San Francisco. they sell them in many tourist tows. {AK, too] It had a hood. this was very important on VERY rainy days--such as our visit to Hubbard Glacier.

I agree with BQ. My jacket was not very pretty--but, it did the job. I did not need a bunch of fancy things for the rain. I used layers.

Already have a Marmot precip jacket that I just love. One great feature is "pit vents" - zippered area under the arms to "vent". Bought a pair of patagonia water proof pants (didn't like the marmot fit well) but havent gotten to try them yet.

We already had rain jackets, but we got our rainpants through REI. I wound up wearing mine on a couple of days that weren't rainy as a third layer on my legs (thermals, pants, rain pants), as it was was really cold.

And I agree waterproof spray on all jackets and shoes.

Which cruise did you need your rainpants? We are doing cruisetour on Zuiderdam May-June this year and I was only planning on bringing the cheap poncho coverings as rain protection. We last went to Alaska in September and did fine without major rain gear.

Which cruise did you need your rainpants? We are doing cruisetour on Zuiderdam May-June this year and I was only planning on bringing the cheap poncho coverings as rain protection. We last went to Alaska in September and did fine without major rain gear.

Our cruise/tour May 23-Jun 8, 2012. Now, I do fall in the group that's "always cold", but the wind was a bit nippy some days.

Let's see, I wore my rainpants on non-rainy days in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay day during the cruise portion. On the land portion, I wore them in Kluane on the Dezadash River Float excursion.

And, I was the one wearing my down parka every day. Here I am, with my cup of hot chocolate firmly in my hands during Glacier Bay day.

1fz7uc.jpg

Did you have to wear that coat in the ports? How cold was it? I'm going to Alaska in August and doing a land tour before the cruise. Was told that on the land portion temps. could be in the 80's. Very confused. I don't know what to bring as outerwear.

Did you have to wear that coat in the ports? How cold was it? I'm going to Alaska in August and doing a land tour before the cruise. Was told that on the land portion temps. could be in the 80's. Very confused. I don't know what to bring as outerwear.

As I said, I fall in the "I'm always cold" group. I did wear my parka most days. Now, I also wear my parka in southern California in the wintertime, so take that into consideration. :rolleyes:

The weather in Alaska is quite variable. The saying goes "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute", and it's quite true.

Layers are the best way to go. Most people do fine with a fleece underjacket and a light outer jacket. Keep in mind our last trip was May/June. The temprature most days was low to mid 50s. When we went in September the average temprature was more in the 60s to (sometimes) low 70s. And the temprature can vary as much as 15-20 degrees in one day.

My typical clothing on most days was my thermal top (or turtleneck), shirt, and parka. Some days, I would wear my sweatshirt & light jacket instead of the parka, if I felt that the weather might actually be warmer.

I typically wore thermals and long pants most days. But on days that looked like they were going to be colder, I would bring along the rain pants to wear also.

We are going end of May. Really got them more for "just in case it rains so other pants will stay dry and can wear more than once" and we plan to kayak and glacier walk, so figured we would want the waterproof pants for that as well. We bought nicer pants because we hope eventually it will rain again in Oklahoma and we can use them here as well! If we thought we would just use in Alaska, would not have invested in them. And, as I posted earlier....I already had the jacket, just needed the pants.

Archived