Vancouver - RCI - Canada Place

Does Royal Caribbean always use Canada Place now? Sailing out on the 31st of May, was trying to figure out plans to get there while I have a little time.

You can get the full schedule here:

http://portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

The only time that Ballantyne pier is used is at the beginning and end of the season, when the Seattle based Alaska boats make an extra sailing out of Vancouver (to stay legal with the PVSA)

According to the Port of Vancouver website, the Rhapsody of the Seas and the Amsterdam are both scheduled to be docked at Canada Place on May 31. Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch, it's actually Radiance, not Rhapsody, but that's exactly what I needed. Relieved my boat will be at the easy pier to get to.

Actually both piers are easy to get to with Ballentyne being only about a 5 - 10 min cab ride from any downtown hotel ... being a local and having sailed from both piers my actual preference is to be at Ballantyne if there are several ships in at the same time as Canada Place can become a zoo and Ballantyne will be much less crowded and way easier for the taxi's to get right to the door to drop you off or pick you up.

However BAllantyne is only used as a back up dock for when there are simply too many crusie ships in Vancouver at the same time for them all to fit at Canada Place dock which can take up to 4 ships at the same time depending on size.

• 2 weeks later...

The Celebrity Century sails on May 12 and all 3 berths are booked at Canada Place that day.

My understanding is that there's a general queue for everyone's baggage security check, and then pax proceed to their respective cruise lines afterwards.

There is probably no priority line at the baggage security and some say that the line is long in the morning hours for security check.

What is, in your experience, the best time to arrive Canada Place on embarkation day?

Thank you for your advice.

The Celebrity Century sails on May 12 and all 3 berths are booked at Canada Place that day.

My understanding is that there's a general queue for everyone's baggage security check, and then pax proceed to their respective cruise lines afterwards.

There is probably no priority line at the baggage security and some say that the line is long in the morning hours for security check.

What is, in your experience, the best time to arrive Canada Place on embarkation day?

Where you drop your bags off, there are signs for the different ships (if multiple ships are in port). Make sure you hand off your luggage to the correct porters.

Once you have dropped your bags off, you then head inside through security and customs, which is a general line for all cruise ships in port. It doesn't matter which ship you are on. There is just one area. Once you clear customs, there are signs directing you to the different cruise ships.

My preference is to arrive at Canada Place anytime between 11 and 11:30. We've never experienced a long line or at least a line that doesn't move. Most times we head right to the counter to check in with the cruiseline and board the ship. Only once did we have to wait and that was because of a code red on the previous sailing. There was a slight delay.

My preference is to arrive at Canada Place anytime between 11 and 11:30. We've never experienced a long line or at least a line that doesn't move. Most times we head right to the counter to check in with the cruiseline and board the ship.

Thank you, Tweedy! I saw in your sig that just last year you did the exact same itinerary that DW and I are doing in less than 2 months on the Century.

Admiring your photo album now...

Unlike pretty much every other cruise terminal in the world, you'll find the big hang up is that you have to pre-clear customs & immigration for your 1st stop so you don't have to in the USA when you arrive. This can add time, and it looks like the United States have just cut funding more for border crossings, so I would expect the lineups might be bad. All that being said, you will get on board, I would probably aim to be there around 12/12:30

The issues with May 12th are that it is one of those days in May when the ships are repositioning for the Alaska season and there are actually 4 ships in port (one using Ballantyne). You combine that with the pressure with all the new hires the cruise lines and Canada Place have on deck then add the unknown impact of the cut backs to the CPB and I fear we are going to have chaos. There is no way around it there are going to be lines, so unless you want to board very late in the day....you may as well get there early and stake out your place in line.

There is no way around it there are going to be lines, so unless you want to board very late in the day....you may as well get there early and stake out your place in line.

Yikes... when do porters/customs agents get there in the morning and start receiving passengers?

Yikes... when do porters/customs agents get there in the morning and start receiving passengers?

About 1030, on a normal day I would would not have concerns about when you arrived but on these repositioning weekends in the spring you may as well join the throngs about 1000 as if history repeats itself the lines are going to be long all day. Been there .... done that.

About 1030, on a normal day I would would not have concerns about when you arrived but on these repositioning weekends in the spring you may as well join the throngs about 1000 as if history repeats itself the lines are going to be long all day. Been there .... done that.

Thank you so much for the advice!! Will definitely be in line at 10am.

There are only three sailings from Ballantyne Pier this year, everything else is at Canada Place

LOL... looks like we picked one of the busiest days at port, and with inexperienced hands at the onset of the Alaska season :eek:

Archived