Sailing n QM2 in 3 weeks. What are my chances of moving cabins?

vissi877

We are sailing on QM2 in 3 weeks time from Adelaide to Fremantle which is part of the 2013 World Cruise. I booked a guarantee Q7 cabin and have been allocated a Q7 cabin. I have only just found out that Q7 cabins are wheelchair accessible and do not have walk in wardrobes or bathtubs. I would much prefer to stay in Q6 cabin. What do you think my chances of being able to move rooms at such late notice? Has anyone had any experience?

P.S. The reason I am posting this here and not giving Cunard a call is because their office is closed at the moment (it is late here in Australia). I will give them a call in the morning but just want to gather some of your thoughts in the meantime.

We are sailing on QM2 in 3 weeks time from Adelaide to Fremantle which is part of the 2013 World Cruise. I booked a guarantee Q7 cabin and have been allocated a Q7 cabin. I have only just found out that Q7 cabins are wheelchair accessible and do not have walk in wardrobes or bathtubs. I would much prefer to stay in Q6 cabin. What do you think my chances of being able to move rooms at such late notice? Has anyone had any experience?

P.S. The reason I am posting this here and not giving Cunard a call is because their office is closed at the moment (it is late here in Australia). I will give them a call in the morning but just want to gather some of your thoughts in the meantime.

There's a pretty good chance you'll get moved if a wheelchair room is needed. If inot you could try while on board. If one is available on board there will likely be an up charge.

No they wont..this same thing happened to me..I booked a P1 and said yes to an upgrade..never thinking I would be put in a wheelchair cabin. as there are only 3 or 4 of them and one would think always needed..I hated the cabin so I went down to the pursers desk for a downgrade..of course no Psuites were open..only a Q1 at $20,000 more!!..so I went back up and started to unpack when the doorbell rang and it was someone from the pursers desk asking me to switch cabins as a wheelchair bound passenger had by mistake booked a Q5 not knowing the bathroom is a raised floor..I got to move!! hopefully this will happen for you also

I know that sailing date is completely full as all the sectors are. But you might have the situation as described above happen. Although they would need also need to be embarking in Adelaide too. But there's a chance. Enjoy your trip. I was on that sector too but had to cancel.

Ok I have just gotten off the phone with Cunard and the girl on the phone seemed hopeful that we would be moved. She said we had a note on our booking that we would not accept an upgrade!! I assume that means they most likely went out of their way to make sure I was allocated a Q7. Does anyone know how this may have happened? I never mentioned anywhere that I would refuse an upgrade.

She was saying that "if you don't need a wheelchair cabin they should move you" but I know that the sector is fully booked so I don't know how that would happen. She seemed confident but I'm not conviced.

That said if nothing can be done I'm not going to be upset (at least I managed to secure a cabin on this sector).

Ok I have just gotten off the phone with Cunard and the girl on the phone seemed hopeful that we would be moved. She said we had a note on our booking that we would not accept an upgrade!! I assume that means they most likely went out of their way to make sure I was allocated a Q7. Does anyone know how this may have happened? I never mentioned anywhere that I would refuse an upgrade.

She was saying that "if you don't need a wheelchair cabin they should move you" but I know that the sector is fully booked so I don't know how that would happen. She seemed confident but I'm not conviced.

That said if nothing can be done I'm not going to be upset (at least I managed to secure a cabin on this sector).

Yes, really not to worry if you don't get moved. You will have a wonderful time. She really is a beautiful ship and in Adelaide it is fun to watch everyone lined up on the rocks waving as she leaves. And that 180 turn in the mouth of the Port is amazing to watch. We watched it from just under the bridge so you see it as the Captain does.

So jealous! :)

Yes, really not to worry if you don't get moved. You will have a wonderful time. She really is a beautiful ship and in Adelaide it is fun to watch everyone lined up on the rocks waving as she leaves. And that 180 turn in the mouth of the Port is amazing to watch. We watched it from just under the bridge so you see it as the Captain does.

Thanks Pushka! I have been to see the QM2 depart Adelaide for a few years now and I am very excited to finally have the chance to wave from the opposite side for a change! This will be my first sailing on QM2 so I really don't have time to be grumpy about our cabin. I'm just happy that we are going and we get to experience it.

That to me puts all this into perspective.

Only the author knows if they specifically stated 'NO' to any upgrade offers. When we made our booking that was a question that was MOST important to me and one I paid particular attention to. Most folks want to take the chance of any type of upgrade and don't bother saying no. Others with a knowledge of cabins will always ensure they book the specific cabin and boo hoo to any offer to get them to change their mind.

Reading your first post I got the distinct impression you were booking a guarantee grade and have got exactly what you requested?

Hopefully Cunard will cater to your needs but whatever the outcome, you are about to go on a beautiful cruise and it would be unwise to let this issue spoil the experience.

Is the suite you have been allocated bigger or wider than the standard suite as it has been adapted for wheelchair use?

If so are you better having the extra space as opposed to a wlak in wardrobe?

That to me puts all this into perspective.

Only the author knows if they specifically stated 'NO' to any upgrade offers. When we made our booking that was a question that was MOST important to me and one I paid particular attention to. Most folks want to take the chance of any type of upgrade and don't bother saying no. Others with a knowledge of cabins will always ensure they book the specific cabin and boo hoo to any offer to get them to change their mind.

Reading your first post I got the distinct impression you were booking a guarantee grade and have got exactly what you requested?

Hopefully Cunard will cater to your needs but whatever the outcome, you are about to go on a beautiful cruise and it would be unwise to let this issue spoil the experience.

Is the suite you have been allocated bigger or wider than the standard suite as it has been adapted for wheelchair use?

If so are you better having the extra space as opposed to a wlak in wardrobe?

Thanks glojo. Yes you are right, I will definitely not let this spoil the experience. It is going to be amazing regardless. This is actually my first ever cruise and I'm only just learning the tricks, what to look out for etc. To be honest, I didn't even really know what a guarantee grade was at the time I booked. I will have a much better understanding of the process next time.

To answer your questions, I don't think the suite is any bigger than a Q6 but the lack of wardrobe would definitely give more open space in the cabin.

The upgrade thing is a difficult one. I booked an inside because as a solo it was more than enough for me to pay. I like the location on the 6th deck; under the Princess dining room. So little noise after around 11 pm and not much before say 7am. An upgrade could mean an obstructed balcony which would be great, or an inside but more forward. Putting it under the gym. Which I'd hate.

Archived