Silhouette Disembarkation Worry - Help/Advice!?

RenaeInCA

This will be our third cruise out of PEV, but our first on Celebrity. As our disembarkation prior was always quick and easy), I went ahead and scheduled a 11:30 am flight from MIA. After reading the posts on disembarkation on Silhouette, I am rather concerned. This will occur on Easter Sunday - that will make a difference, either better or worse (at the airport). So, I am relying on advice from others:

1. Does Celebrity offer transfers from PEV to MIA like HAL does? In the past those people had preference in disembarkation. We did one of those our first cruise with them.

2. Should I be worried enough about our flight to try and rebook to a later time?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I wanted was to be stressed out the day we arrive in port after a wonderful cruise. Thank you!

Hi Renae ~ this is my thought (and mine alone, others may have other recommendations). When you get your questionnaire regarding disembarkation, note clearly that you have an early flight (I would like 11:00 AM) so that you are placed among the first group to disembark). If you don't have much luggage, you can self-disembark (first off) but you must hand carry all your luggage off the ship with you (not an option for most passengers). When you receive your disembarkation luggage tags and details, make sure you are in an early group (no later than 8:00 AM). I would go to guest relations and confirm that you are in the earliest group to disembark.

I would also recommend pre-booking a private transfer from Port Everglades to Miami International. Yes, Celebrity offers transfers but you are going to wait for them to load a bus. They aren't going to provide you with a private transfer. Since you are on a tight schedule, I'd feel much more comfortable knowing there was a transfer service waiting for me when I got off the ship.

If you go to the Ports of Call area of Cruise Critic, United States, Florida Departures you'll find lots of info. Here's a link to a thread that recommends some private services that offers transfers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1796401

I should add that if you are truly concerned, I'd consider changing flights. Don't want you to worry while you are on vacation about whether you will make your flight. When we disembarked Silhouette in January, it was a mess. But since we live in Florida and were driving home, it didn't matter too much. Knowing what we went through, I'd opt to get off early next time if we docked at the same place.

Good luck!

Actually, Easter Sunday should be quiet at the airport (at least in the AM) and the roads should be pretty empty....so no problems there. Plan on taking a taxi to the airport....don't wait or rely on Celebrity to get you there.

As far as delays at the port itself...there is no reason to expect longer delays...although some have reported difficulties in ft lauderdale and we have sequestration where the government seems to feel that they should cut in places where the public feels the most pain, rather than doing cuts seriously.

I second this recomendation.

Keep in mind the OP is planning on disembarking at Terminal 24/25 in Port Everglades, which haas a history of line ups and delays. It just isn't big enouugh to manage the volume of people of an S class ship.

Then they plan to drive to MIA clear security and make their 11:30 flight? There is no way I would even suggest an 11:30 flight from FLL, as long as Terminal 24 is in the mix let alone MIA.

I'd be concerned enough with an 11:30 flight out of FLL with all I've read here, but out of MIA?? Absolutely no way.

We self disembarked last Sunday off the Silhouette and had no problems. Yes it's scary when you line up because it's a huge line but it went so fast. We lined up at 7:20 I think and it said to line up at 7:30 or 7:45, I cant remember but we were off, in a taxi well before 8:00.

I know it was suggested here to get to the dining room to line up way early like 6:45 or something but there really is no point, as soon as they start, everyone in the whole line, and we were told there were over 360 people self disembarking, were off the ship within 15 minutes.

If you can self disembark, that would be great, if not, go to guest relations and make sure you get #1 tags and be off with the first group called, than take a cab, which were outside the doors and to the right all lined up and with a gentlemen getting people in the cabs very quickly. We were at the airport by 8:15, the FLL airport but as I mentioned before they wouldn't even let us check in for our flight till 2 hours before so we had to sit for an hour anyway. This was all for an 11:15 flight.

As long as there are no delays with the ship itself, like an emergency, then you should be able to make that flight.

Good luck

I also plan on self disembarking the Silhouette on Easter Sunday, and our flight leaves FLL at 9:55 am! I know we are taking a big chance, but will show up early and just hope for the best and not sitting in the ariport on Easter. :)

I also plan on self disembarking the Silhouette on Easter Sunday, and our flight leaves FLL at 9:55 am! I know we are taking a big chance, but will show up early and just hope for the best and not sitting in the ariport on Easter. :)

I think we're going to do the self-disembarkation or get into group 1 and hope for the best, too. When we get aboard we'll visit guest relations and check out our options. We are only flying to Atlanta, so we should be able to get another flight if we need to.

Archived