Seeing the turtle farm

Afloat

My family and I including our 3 and 1 year old grand daughters would like to visit the turtle farm. Would we better off booking a ship's tour or buying tickets ourselves directly from the farm?

Thanks

It`s cheaper to buy them yourself and easy to get to.

I bought tickets online and got a discount for early booking. They have shuttles to the Turtle Farm at a couple times in the morning, but we opted to use the city transportation and it was cheap and got us there no problem for quite a bit cheaper than going through the cruiseline.

We did the turtle excursion last week. I think it was either $39 or $49. Right at the pier was a sign that said you could book it for $20. If we go back we'd not book through the ship again......

• 1 month later...

JimAOK1945: Does one of your wife's slide shows have pictures from the Turtle Farm? If so, which one? I've not been to the turtle farm since before the major hurricane and the complete revamping of the place. I've looked at the pictures on their web page, but would love to see more!

srobins,

So nice of you to ask. Yes, there are a few in her 2007 Carnival Conquest cruise slide show. Here is the link

http://nancysoasis.com/2007CarConq/2007CarConq.html

The slideshow is a mixture of the entire cruise experience including the shore excursions which includes the Turtle Farm at Boatswain Beach on Grand Cayman.

I hope you will post some pictures from your cruise when you return. I would love to see them! :D

Happy Sailing!

The TF is a fun excursion for kids, be sure to buy the full package. The large turtles are just in a breeding pen and the smaller turtles in hatchery pen. There were a couple smaller turthes in the snorkel area last Sept when we visited while staying on GCM. But for the adults it's a bit disappointing. We enjoyed the small aviary more actually. There is also a croc feeding that takes place.

The large wading pool and waterslide is a nice spot to relax, and there is a restaurant on site for a nice lunch. We tried to make our time last there and spent all of 2 hours there then drove to Hell a few miles further up. As long as you're that close it's worth a stop.

There's also a dolphin aquarium across from the TF, be sure to stop in theree for a free look-see or apay for a photo op.

The bus ride will take some time as it's several miles from the port and you will make several stops along the way. I would consider a shuttle option if that is available and meets your timerframe.

Both my mom and I spent about 4.5 hours there. About 30 in the aviary. 2.5 swimming/snorkeling in the lagoon with the turtles and many, many fish. Then about another 1.5 hour to see the feedings and then hold the yearling turtles. It filled our day at GC and we enjoyed it.

We got passes at 1/2 price and we just would have been disappointed if we had paid the full price. But yes it can be enjoyable and I'm sure the kids will love it! it is certainly a unique experience you won't find on the other islands the ships hit...

It`s cheaper to buy them yourself and easy to get to.

I bought tickets online and got a discount for early booking. They have shuttles to the Turtle Farm at a couple times in the morning, but we opted to use the city transportation and it was cheap and got us there no problem for quite a bit cheaper than going through the cruiseline.

Hi Tyler,

We will be with 3 kids - 3, 9, 10 - do you think the city transportation is safe enough? Which bus # did you take, and where did you pick it up? Any details will be helpful!!

Yes I felt it was safe with my little one. There were other families on the bus as well with children.

I walked towards the bus terminal (about two blocks back from the cruise terminal and to the left). I'm not sure which colour or number the bus was but I just asked and they told me which bus. Everyone was very helpful and made it easy.

On the way back, I crossed the street from the turtle farm and walked along the road until a bus came by and honked his horn. Confirmed with him that he was going towards the cruise. He drops you off a couple blocks away but let us know when to get off. By that point the bus was filled with cruisers, so we were all going to the same place.

I know it seems a little loosey-goosey and they do run on island time, but I found it very easy and would do it again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Yup...and they're very tasty... :grin:

FYI I am not necessarily against raising turtles for meat I am against trying to pass it off as a tourist attraction under the guise of conservation like it is all in the best interest of the turtle..lol

FYI I am not necessarily against raising turtles for meat I am against trying to pass it off as a tourist attraction under the guise of conservation like it is all in the best interest of the turtle..lol

Most of the turtle farm *is* a tourist attraction...snorkel pool, aviary, waterslide, predator reef, cayman street, gift shops, etc. All of those things were added on later to enhance the original farm and make it attractive from a tourism perspective.

And, to a certain extent, raising turtles for consumption is sort of a conservation effort in the sense that it minimizes the hunting of wild turtles, which was a big local industry in the past. And a small number of turtles do get released into the wild each year...they're not all eaten.

It's not like visiting a slaughterhouse, as you put it. It's like visiting a local farm to see and learn about the animals. Chucky Chicken, Penny Pig and Bessie the Cow are just as likely to end up on your plate later, but you still see grade school classes taking those field trips...

Archived