Need Help--Heathrow Transfer for 2 or 4

In September, my wife and I plan to fly into Heathrow on the morning of a cruise we'll be taking out of Harwich Cruise Terminal; our ship leaves at 5pm that day. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:30am in Heathrow. Friends that we'll be cruising with us plan to do a few days in London pre-cruise (they will likely stay at the Marriott at the London Eye).

Here are a couple issues I'm hoping someone can give us some advice. One is for my wife and I to arrange for a private transfer from Heathrow directly to the Harwich Cruise Terminal, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Heathrow. The other is whether it makes any sense for our friends to either (1) come out to Heathrow to meet us and then the four of us take the private transfer to Harwich or (2) arrange for their own private transfer from their London hotel to Harwich. Would either option be more or less costly or timely for our friends? Are there other options that I'm not considering? Thanks for your help.

John

I would think the easiest for all would be to book your transfer directly from Heathrow as your first choice. With the potential for a delay in either arrival or customs/immigration, meeting at either Heathrow or in London could be a problem. Usually not a problem but since you will be on the ship together for the cruise, why complicate things?;)

Cheers

The other is whether it makes any sense for our friends to either (1) come out to Heathrow to meet us and then the four of us take the private transfer to Harwich

None whatsoever. They'd be going in one direction to then travel 2.5 hours in the opposite direction.

Of course my FIRST choice would be to fly in a day earlier. I personally am pretty useless upon arrival from a TA flight, so I would want a day to recover. But, working with your current schedule, I would do one of 2 things:

-Each take private transfers, and meet at the ship;

-You take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then taxi to Liverpool St. station, where you would both take the train to Harwich.

As you will be doing this on a weekday, I'm inclined to take the train option, as I just would not be willing to risk the M25 at rush hour.

The train is not an option for us. Could you please recommend good private car services. I have been looking at car services on Trip Advisor and there are more negatives than positives for all of them. Thank you.

Yes, I also think two separate transfers and see your friends on the ship :)

I take it you are also ruling out cruise line transfer? Being a public transport or drive myself guy, I can't help with car services, but there should be plenty of recommendations on previous Harwich threads here, I would think.

I really appreciate the responses provided and the advice offered. It really looks like the best thing is for both of us to get to Harwich on our own--my wife and I with a private transfer from Heathrow and our friends with either a private transfer or taxi/train from their hotel. Thanks again for the help.

John

I really appreciate the responses provided and the advice offered. It really looks like the best thing is for both of us to get to Harwich on our own--my wife and I with a private transfer from Heathrow and our friends with either a private transfer or taxi/train from their hotel. Thanks again for the help.

John

We also arrived the morning of our cruise (LAX-LHR)..We opted to use the cruiseline (RCI) bus transfers from LHR to Harwich (private transportation $$$ :eek:)...Our flight arrived at 6:30am and luckily managed to be on the first transfer bus that left LHR at 9:00am..It was a 3 hr. drive with a rest stop half way there..Getting us to the ship at 12:00 noon.

However since using the train at the end of the cruise, since we were staying a week post cruise in London..I saw how much quicker and easier it would have been for us to just take a taxi from LHR to Liverpool Street Station and take the train to Harwich International which arrives right next to the ship..On my next trip this is exactly what I will be doing.

None whatsoever. They'd be going in one direction to then travel 2.5 hours in the opposite direction.

Of course my FIRST choice would be to fly in a day earlier. I personally am pretty useless upon arrival from a TA flight, so I would want a day to recover. But, working with your current schedule, I would do one of 2 things:

-Each take private transfers, and meet at the ship;

-You take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then taxi to Liverpool St. station, where you would both take the train to Harwich.

As you will be doing this on a weekday, I'm inclined to take the train option, as I just would not be willing to risk the M25 at rush hour.

With luggage I would not opt to use the Heathrow Express JMHO...Others used to this might differ but I'm not usually a train traveler, being from the west coast :)..Both couples can taxi to Liverpool St. Station and then take the train together or separately..Easy to do....

Again.. just trying to give an easy transfer option, in what can be a confusing and tiring time after a 14 hour flight ;)

• 5 weeks later...
We also arrived the morning of our cruise (LAX-LHR)..We opted to use the cruiseline (RCI) bus transfers from LHR to Harwich (private transportation $$$ :eek:)...Our flight arrived at 6:30am and luckily managed to be on the first transfer bus that left LHR at 9:00am..It was a 3 hr. drive with a rest stop half way there..Getting us to the ship at 12:00 noon.

However since using the train at the end of the cruise, since we were staying a week post cruise in London..I saw how much quicker and easier it would have been for us to just take a taxi from LHR to Liverpool Street Station and take the train to Harwich International which arrives right next to the ship..On my next trip this is exactly what I will be doing.

Do you know approximately how much this will cost? We are arriving LHR at 7;:30am and need to get to the cruise terminal before 5pm - your directions sound great........just want to make sure its do-able. Thanks

Archived