Renting a Car in Halifax

Tours are shown as very pricy for my family of three people.

Considering we are in port from 9:00 til 6 on A thursday paying 300-400 seems a bit steep for me.

My question is renting a car--

Where will Carnival GLory be docking in halifax?

We will also be going to St Jon on Wednesday from 8 til 4

Can we rent a car there also>

When we were there (Halifax) in fall 2011, we walked just outside the cruise terminal and found a taxi van that took our whole group around on about a 4-5hour tour for around $150. That took us out to Peggy's Cove, SwissAir Memorial and some places in town, among other places and he even stopped to let us do a bit of shopping! I thought it was a pretty good deal, plus we had a local who knew the area well giving us information as we drove, something we would not have gotten had we rented a vehicle.

We were in Saint John in 2009, we rented a car there and went out to the St Martins sea caves and it was beautiful! We had lunch out there on the beach and then we timed it to see the reversing falls on the way back to the ship.

Not sure if you are going to PEI or not, but that is another great place to rent a car, it is very easy to get around.

I dont know what PEI is.

We are going to St Johns and Halifax

I am finding not a lot of places opened yet.

PEI is Prince Edward Island.

St. John's is in Newfoundland and Saint John is in New Brunswick. Which one are you visiting?

In Halifax the cruise ships dock at the cruise terminal and Budget has a location near the cruise terminal at 1554 Hollis Street. Other rental companies may deliver the car to you if requested.

i am only finding out there is a difference between St Johns and Saint Johns.

sad for new cruisers who really dont research and will book what may look interesting.

but bad because carnival lists the port as St Johns.

We are going to New Brunswick and Halifax

Tours are shown as very pricy for my family of three people.

Considering we are in port from 9:00 til 6 on A thursday paying 300-400 seems a bit steep for me.

My question is renting a car--

Where will Carnival GLory be docking in halifax?

We will also be going to St Jon on Wednesday from 8 til 4

Can we rent a car there also>

halifax--we rented from national just across a parking lot from the cruise terminal, at the via rail station, 1161 hollis st, 902-423-0227

saint john nb--rented from avis three blocks from the terminal, 4 water st, 506-634-7750

Renting a car for Halifax is a great option. Here are some notes from previous posts:

Enterprise and/or National are in the Via rail station in front of Cruise port they are open 9-1 Sundays for Cruise ship passengers 423-0227

Thrifty's is open on Sundays in the Westin Hotel beside Via station.

982-3474

Budget is open 8-4 on Hollis St. at least 4 blocks good 15 min walk but will pick up at Pier if you have reservation just call as soon as you get in.492-7542

Avis is also open on Grafton if you have reservation will also come and pick you up. tel #492-2847 Note if calling out of province AREA CODE is 902 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675903

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769976&page=6

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154976-i327-k4804493-Trip_Report_Cruise_docked_in_Halifax-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html#36133733

http://www.destinationhalifax.com/uploads/assetsfile/Hfx%20M&C%20Planner%202009-Halifax%20Map.pdf

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Terminal+Road,+Halifax,+NS&daddr=44.6724183,-63.7906838+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:Lunenburg,+NS+to:44.565867,-64.286666+to:44.5463179,-64.2370857+to:44.4955652,-64.0815549+to:Terminal+Rd,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.543505,-63.992615&sspn=0.496232,1.352692&geocode=FQ8SqQIdVAY2_CnddI0CRiJaSzExOT4ohdOaMQ%3BFaKlqQIdpaEy_CnfVD-dOItZSzETHt-KdQ0HHg%3BFcnnpgIdIrIw_CnFyxzm9_hZSzGzNrkPHaGopw%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFWsFqAIdNhAr_ClbYk7iZudZSzGuorsz7wYSaQ%3BFQ25pwId49Er_CndBw6DxOZZSzGQcTlLKcjO0w%3BFc3ypgIdbjEu_Cnz00w-YPtZSzG98UXlHMZIRA%3BFQ8SqQIdVAY2_CnddI0CRiJaSzExOT4ohdOaMQ&oq=term&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=10&via=1,5,6,7&t=m&z=10

A few silly questions,

On the average how much is gas (liter / gal), are you charged more for using debit /credit card, and is it pump your own.

thanks

Gas right now is $1.37 a litre and prices are set every Friday. A few stations offer a discount if you pay cash or debit. All stations are self serve but most offer a pump that will be full serve (at a higher price).

Gas right now is $1.37 a litre and prices are set every Friday. A few stations offer a discount if you pay cash or debit. All stations are self serve but most offer a pump that will be full serve (at a higher price).

That's kinda neat that your prices are set for a week. Here we could go out for dinner get gas on the way and on the way back it could have changed by 3cents/L or more!!

That's kinda neat that your prices are set for a week. Here we could go out for dinner get gas on the way and on the way back it could have changed by 3cents/L or more!!

We used to be that way but the Gov't stepped in and now it regulated. NB is also regulated and their price is set on Thursdays so we get a pretty good idea of what our price will do by watching theirs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Renting a car is quite easy in Halifax; I did it last May on a cruise. We rented from Enterprise and it was located in the train station with some of the others. Perhaps a short 3 block walk. They also offered a prepay option for gas. You could purchase less the. A full tank based on where you were going and their estimate was accurate; I didn't find that I paid for more gas ran I needed and it was very convenient. We did this in Sydney and Charlottetown as well and were able to purchase the partial tanks.

Renting a car is quite easy in Halifax; I did it last May on a cruise. We rented from Enterprise and it was located in the train station with some of the others. Perhaps a short 3 block walk. They also offered a prepay option for gas. You could purchase less the. A full tank based on where you were going and their estimate was accurate; I didn't find that I paid for more gas ran I needed and it was very convenient. We did this in Sydney and Charlottetown as well and were able to purchase the partial tanks.

Did you use Enterprise in each of those 3 ports? Also wondering where you drove from Sydney as we will be there in May and haven't decided on driving route yet.

Did you use Enterprise in each of those 3 ports? Also wondering where you drove from Sydney as we will be there in May and haven't decided on driving route yet.

I used Enterprise in Charlottetown, Hallifax and Sydney. Great experience in all except Sydney and it's not Enterprises fault or Sydney's fault. Are you going to be on Holland America? I've posted in other strings about our Sydney experienced..just rushed and I would do it differently if I went back.

Also, have you ever been to Bar Harbour? If not, let me know and I will tell you what we did there.

I used Enterprise in Charlottetown, Hallifax and Sydney. Great experience in all except Sydney and it's not Enterprises fault or Sydney's fault. Are you going to be on Holland America? I've posted in other strings about our Sydney experienced..just rushed and I would do it differently if I went back.

Also, have you ever been to Bar Harbour? If not, let me know and I will tell you what we did there.

Yes we are on HAL May 18 Boston to Quebec City. Sydney is 1000-1700 so not a long day by any means. Maryann ns has given me some previous suggestions on a driving route to Baddeck so thinking that could be a possibility as we want to do something out of town. We will also plan to rent a car in Halifax to do the route to Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg (again thanks to Maryann for driving route). Also planning to rent a car in Charlottetown and do the central driving route past Green Gables area, Cavendish in the north and then the beaches along the south.

Thinking to do Oli's Trolleys Tour in Bar Harbour to Acadia National Park but open to suggestions. Haven't been to any of these ports before.

Betty...in Bar Harbour we walked off the dock, up the hill, thru town and then turned right at the town green. About a half a black on that right hand side is the Acadia National Park bus office. You can buy a bus pass for like 10 bucks. They will give you a map and you an hop on and off the park shuttle buses literally all day.

It was POURING rain the day we were there but we still made quite a few stops and it was totally worth it. We made it back to town with plenty of time to walk around the shops and have a late lunch. I would highly recommend doing this.

Enterprise in all three ports and Olli's in Bar Harbor. We used the routes suggested here and drove around. It was raining in Sydney, so it wasn't nearly as scenic as the rest. This time in Sydney we're renting from Enterprise again, but heading to the mining museum this time.

Enterprise in all three ports and Olli's in Bar Harbor. We used the routes suggested here and drove around. It was raining in Sydney, so it wasn't nearly as scenic as the rest. This time in Sydney we're renting from Enterprise again, but heading to the mining museum this time.

I think we will do the Baddeck drive route and hope for some decent weather to see the scenery.

Betty...in Bar Harbour we walked off the dock, up the hill, thru town and then turned right at the town green. About a half a black on that right hand side is the Acadia National Park bus office. You can buy a bus pass for like 10 bucks. They will give you a map and you an hop on and off the park shuttle buses literally all day.

It was POURING rain the day we were there but we still made quite a few stops and it was totally worth it. We made it back to town with plenty of time to walk around the shops and have a late lunch. I would highly recommend doing this.

Was the Acadia Park bus route narrated at all; is it necessary? We were thinking to do Oli's Trolleys to get a bit of the history and local colour along the way.

Was the Acadia Park bus route narrated at all; is it necessary? We were thinking to do Oli's Trolleys to get a bit of the history and local colour along the way.

It was narrated and I thought it was a good value overall. I also liked the smaller size of the vehicle over busses.

It was narrated and I thought it was a good value overall. I also liked the smaller size of the vehicle over busses.

I can only find the free Acadia Island Explorer park shuttle that runs in summer only or a $30 fixed time tour with Acadia Tours. Can't seem to find the one you refer to. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction. I don't want to keep using this Halifax thread to discuss other locations as it will mix everyone up.

• 1 month later...

We will be on HAL in late June and I would appreciate knowing what your drive plans were in Charlottetown, Halifax and Sydney. We've never been to these ports and would love to know of your experience.

Thanks so much.

We will be on HAL in late June and I would appreciate knowing what your drive plans were in Charlottetown, Halifax and Sydney. We've never been to these ports and would love to know of your experience.

Thanks so much.

So sorry! Haven't been on here in awhile...dealing with layoffs..arghhhh! Let me sit down and think tonight. I'm excited for your trip!

Archived