Upgrade on Island to Alaska from B623 to C516 or 412?

brainerdgal

I just had a message from my TA that we can upgrade on our northbound Alaska cruise on Island Princess from B623 to either C516 or C412. The upgrades are "Premium Balcony" and I don't know what that means except that they're quite a bit larger.

We have never been on Island, and we booked B623 because we thought the scenery would be better on the port side going north.

It's my husband and me on the cruise. I'd love opinions on whether we should take the upgrade, and why. We don't know if the Upgrade Fairy has really visited us, or if we should stay in B623. :) TIA!!

If there is no price increase, I would take the larger balcony over your existing cabin. Do not concern yourself with port/starboard in Alaska, as there is plenty of scenery all around. I would take C516.

Thanks for the quick responses! I see that the upgrades are both partially-covered balconies, our current cabin is covered. Can anyone tell me the pros or cons of partially-covered?

Julia, why would you choose C516 over C412? Just curious. :)

Thanks for the quick responses! I see that the upgrades are both partially-covered balconies, our current cabin is covered. Can anyone tell me the pros or cons of partially-covered?

Julia, why would you choose C516 over C412? Just curious. :)

I upgraded myself in a similar situation figuring having a partially uncovered balcony means that if we happen to have a sunny day or two - we can soak up some rays.... If not, we still have cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Partially covered will allow for sunshine (nice in Alaska), but also protects from rainy elements. It also gives more natural light in the cabin.

C412 is a bit too close to a bump out for me, C516 would be slightly better for overall viewing of glaciers (but that is just my opinion). :)

This is probably a dumb question, but does the extra space in the balcony come from width or depth? Or both? I'm trying to picture "partially covered." I'm assuming the covered part goes all the way across, then the uncovered part extends out toward the water.

My husband is hesitating on the upgrade because he says people will be able to look down at us when we're on the uncovered area! I'm not crazy about that, if he's right.

I looked at the photos from the link that Colo Cruiser sent, but wasn't able to tell for sure if we are picturing things correctly.

This is probably a dumb question, but does the extra space in the balcony come from width or depth? Or both? I'm trying to picture "partially covered." I'm assuming the covered part goes all the way across, then the uncovered part extends out toward the water.

Yes, that's correct.

My husband is hesitating on the upgrade because he says people will be able to look down at us when we're on the uncovered area! I'm not crazy about that, if he's right.

I looked at the photos from the link that Colo Cruiser sent, but wasn't able to tell for sure if we are picturing things correctly.

I have had a Caribe balcony and never once cared that people above might be able to see me if I were sitting out beyond the covered part. First of all, they won't be able to see you when they're seated, only if standing right at their railing -- and when they are, it's probably because there's something scenery wise to be looking at, not to look at the people down below. (Also, very few people are at their balcony rails under normal circumstances, even fewer on a cold weather itinerary. I'm always astonished how few others I see outside at any given time.) Second, so what? People would be able to see you if you were sitting out on deck, too. Plus, there are ship surveillance cameras. The balconies really aren't "private" space.

Totally agree with Annie..... others on the ship are not interested in looking at you standing at your railing or sitting on your balcony. But, if this would bother you or DH, then perhaps the smaller, fully covered balcony would be more comfortable.

First, is there a price difference for the upgrade? Only difference with these cabins will be in the depth of the veranda. Cabin size will be exactly the same. If you intend to lounge on you veranda, the verandas on the Caribe deck are much more pleasant. At Glacier Bay the ship will be turned so you will have time to use your veranda for some viewing no matter which side you are on. Most likely you will spend a great deal of your time at Glacier Bay , however, on some public deck area near the highest point available, for the best views. If you can get the change for no money, take either cabin on Caribe, otherwise judge by what the larger veranda might be worth to you.

I've convinced DH that people seeing us isn't an issue!

But I just talked to the TA and this upgrade stipulates that we pay $488 immediately, non-refundable except for illness or death. In that case, we'd be covered by our insurance. However, our package cost would go down by $468, so we'd be paying only $20 more for the bigger balcony.

Thoughts, anyone? This type of offer and Princess are new to us, and we don't know if this is a good deal or not. :o I've read on this board that Princess has sales quite often, and I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and see if something better comes along. If it doesn't, we'd be happy with our smaller balcony.

When I upgraded the same (from a BF category to a B2) I was told that the deposit I had already provided ($200) would now be non refundable. No big whoop to me as I don't expect to cancel.

When I upgraded the same (from a BF category to a B2) I was told that the deposit I had already provided ($200) would now be non refundable. No big whoop to me as I don't expect to cancel.

I know what you mean--we don't expect to cancel, either. But I'd hate for something better to come along after we're locked in!

Archived