Spotting scope on Alaska cruise??

Vonodin

Greetings fellow CC'ers.

My D/W and I are taking the Solstice out of Seattle May 17th. This will be our first cruise to Alaska. I am taking two good pair of binoculars, 10x42 and 10.5x45.

I also have a 20x-60x-80mm spotting scope. (with tripod)

I am wondering if the ship moves slow enough and the vibration is minor enough to warrant taking it. I would think in Tracy Arm it would be helpful as well as in ports. (and possibly on excursions).

I use it for hunting and know there is a difference scoping for Elk from a stationary spot on a hillside, vs. trying to locate an eagle in a tree, from a moving ship.(Especially if someone else located it and is trying to tell you where to look....)

It seems to me one could have it facing slightly forward towards land scanning the upcoming shoreline.

We live across Puget Sound from Seattle and will be walking over on the ferry. Therefore, I do not have to worry about weight.

Any thoughts, ideas, pros, cons, would be grateful/helpful.

Thanks, Erik

Neither of your binoculars are wide angle which is superior for Alaska cruising. A spotting scope, has such a narrow field of view, it would also be very limited in use from the ship. But may be of use, if you are hiking, wildlife touring etc.

It doesn't hurt to bring it with you not needing flights, so if you can manage all your luggage, it won't matter how much use you get.

The spotting scope will be a big bother on excursions.

As your game spotting ability is likely way above average due to your experience, I would invest in stabilized binoculars and use the spotting scope only on the ship or when walking around on land.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. My thoughts pretty much concur, except my 10.5 x 45's are an excellent pair of binos.

I am going to take it since weight will not be an issue. I then will be able to report back and let others know if it was a good idea or not.

Erik

As long as there are no plane flights involved and as long as you recognize that you may be carrying something that you may not use - I would say take it. Who knows - it might be the best thing that you have brought.

DON

Archived