Any tips for first timers on Maasdam?

Infi

I'm just curious to know how common it is to get this kind of virus on board a ship, Was I lucky on Explorer of the seas in 2009, is it so common that there's a 50/50 risk of it on the cruise ???

Dodge34, it seems to me like you have a lot of questions about the Maasdam that would be better served by starting your own thread on them specifically. I really appreciate the responses I've received so far, but I fear that your posts are taking the intended discussion off track.

I'm really sorry about that, I felt that like on most forums they hate people starting their own threads for the same questions and such. I'll take the time and see what will happen there...

I'm just curious to know how common it is to get this kind of virus on board a ship, Was I lucky on Explorer of the seas in 2009, is it so common that there's a 50/50 risk of it on the cruise ???

As Sail has posted, it is fairly common. We've experienced it on two cruises only, though, and we have over 100 days on HAL. We have avoided it personally as we are very conscientous about hand washing, and keeping our hands away from our face.

However, even though we were free of it, it still impacted our cruise because of all the amenities that were discontinued.

The latter was your concern so that is why I replied.

Thanks for the tips, I never trust water and soap to wash my hands (especially in public restrooms, the stuff is so full of germs there that washing your hands you risk getting sick by touching the soap pump, the drier or the water handles (not sure of the correct term in english for that) usually I do it with water and soap and after my hands are dry, I use Purell to do a perfect job. I will get a pack of Imodium just in case of a problem (usually when I bring any kind of medication while traveling that isn't for my asthma or common allergy, I end up not needing it so that is a good sign of luck somehow)

The "S" class ships are small enough so that we always went back to our stateroom to use the bathroom and wash our hands. Therefore, avoiding public rest rooms. Typically I wouldn't go to this extreme but we did because we were in Code Red.

Thanks for the tips, I never trust water and soap to wash my hands (especially in public restrooms, the stuff is so full of germs there that washing your hands you risk getting sick by touching the soap pump, the drier or the water handles (not sure of the correct term in english for that) usually I do it with water and soap and after my hands are dry, I use Purell to do a perfect job. I will get a pack of Imodium just in case of a problem (usually when I bring any kind of medication while traveling that isn't for my asthma or common allergy, I end up not needing it so that is a good sign of luck somehow)

In the case of NORO VIRUS, you are badly mistaken.

Purell does not touch Noro. The most effective agent is bleach but no one can keep rubbing their hands with bleach. Next is soap and water.

If you don't trust this response, do the research. There are volumes written about noro virus and hand washing.

To avoid noro virus, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Take a tissue to open the bathroom door when you leave.

Turn the water faucet off with your elbow or back of your hand. Keep your fingers clean.

Soap and Water..... that is what you use to avoid Noro Virus.

In the case of NORO VIRUS, you are badly mistaken.

Purell does not touch Noro. The most effective agent is bleach but no one can keep rubbing their hands with bleach. Next is soap and water.

If you don't trust this response, do the research. There are volumes written about noro virus and hand washing.

To avoid noro virus, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Take a tissue to open the bathroom door when you leave.

Turn the water faucet off with your elbow or back of your hand. Keep your fingers clean.

Soap and Water..... that is what you use to avoid Noro Virus.

Or as the Captain on the Ryndam said repeatedly, "wash them hands". :eek:

Not trying to be catty, but that was like "chalk on a blackboard" to my ears...my mother was an "English teacher". :p

Archived