Any tips for first timers on Maasdam?

Infi

We are sailing on the Maasdam on Friday for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. After having sailed the Vistas and Signatures and enjoying those cruises, this will be our first time on one of HAL's smaller ships. Really looking forward to it, as we haven't sailed a ship this size in many years.

I know the classes of HAL ships can differ in what they offer, so I'm asking: does anyone have any tips or favorite spots for the Maasdam? I'm mainly interested in nice little places to read a book, watch sail away, or little known hints about HAL's smaller ships. Thank you in advance.

The crow's nest early in the morning is a great place to read. They have very comfortable lounge chairs facing the water and it's quiet there in the morning.

The internet cafe is another great place to read, do crossword puzzles and Sudoku.

During the day, the Ocean Br is also quiet and you can sit and read there.

Maasdam has The Pinnacle Grill as an alternate restaurant as well as Caneletto. Sailaway is fun on the lower promenade deck(the one where the lifeboat drill takes place, up in the Crow's Next or outside on the back of the Lido deck.

The end of April, I"ll be taking my fourth cruise on her. Great llittle ship.

like carol, we love the maasdam. we've done two caribbean cruises on her and in october, will do the atlantic coast...and then in january, the caribbean again.

the lower promenade is also a wonderful place to read if you want outside space. my dh loves to read at the sea view pool...under the covered area.

as much as we love the noordam, if i had to vote one or the other, i'd go with the "S" class ships.

Loved this ship when I went on her for the first time last year too!

For sail a ways I really liked the sea view pool (aft).

If you are an early riser - there are some pretty views there and it is very quiet:D

Maasdam is one of our two favorite ships.

We've sailed her over 30 cruises and have two more booked. She has a special feel, atmosphere and very special crew.

We think ships have a personality and some of them just 'feel right'. Maasdam always 'feel right' to us and I can physically see DH's tense shoulders relax when we cross Maasdam's gangway on embarkation day.

Hope you enjoy that pretty ship as much as we do.

on our recent ryndam cruise, there was hardly ever anyone at the sea view pool! it was so peaceful...the passengers were mostly quite elderly and i don't think the pool was their thing. second segment, it was busier.

Wow this thread got a load of people that love the Maasdam, perhaps its a great spot to ask some questions too.

I'm just curious to know is there any areas that someone not staying in a suite or penthouse stateroom won't have access, we try to avoid any ships that have reserved spaces for the ones that pay more because they make it so the best spots are private for the upper class passengers only. I truly feel they deserve a special spot for them (premium dining and reserved spots for the shows are what came in my mind), but at same time if they cut half of what is available on the ship like Princess cruises line does (not sure if totally true), I feel they are regressing in time to the 1910-20-30's where the passengers had different status based on their money, like on the Titanic. I feel that this shouldn't happen today, I guess people that are rich enough to afford penthouse suites and such are probably expecting some special treats but I feel theses shouldn't be at the expense of other guests not being able to enjoy their cruise because of them.

Also it will be my first cruise on a really small ship and what I'm worried about is I don't know if I will get sea sickness, I didn't experience it on the Explorer of the Seas but that ship was huge compared to the Maasdam and it had some kind of wings under it for stabilization for comfort of passengers. What would be the best medical treatment for this sea sickness if it happens to me, I see a doctor on march 18th so I can ask for something on prescription if needed.

The only place where only Suite guests have access is Neptune Lounge. It will not impact a non-suite guest in any way. The Neptune Lounge is a separate interior (except for Prinsendam) room, on one of the Suite decks. It is not a 'bar' but rather a place to have coffee and snacks, consult with concierge, enjoy a wonderful coffee machine, meet fellow guests if one wishes.

There are sometimes private parties there but a non-suite guest would not be impacted in any way if one of those gatherings was occuring.

There are no reserved seats in shows for suite guests.

There are no separate dining areas for suite guests.

Thanks for the answers, any tips for the sea sickness, that makes me worried so much, my friend enjoy when the boat enter rough seas, I'm not sure if I would love that so much, the rocking movement of the boat sure will help me to sleep (I enjoyed that so much on the Explorer of the Seas) but not if all the stuff in the cabin start to move around and I have to hold to the mattress of the bed to not fall of it.

As long as any normal areas like pool, whirlpools or sauna in the fitness centers and such aren't perks of suite guests only I'm ok with that, after all they pay big money to get this kind of luxury so they deserve some special threats as breakfast in a special place.

... so I'm asking: does anyone have any tips or favorite spots for the Maasdam? I'm mainly interested in nice little places to read a book, watch sail away, or little known hints about HAL's smaller ships. Thank you in advance.

My two favorite spots in which to sit and read, or watch a sail away are the deck chairs on Lower Promenade and aft on Navigation Deck.

The Lower Promenade is quiet, and out of the sun. There is the sound and smell of the sea right in front of you, with the ability to watch the walkers. Kind of fun.

Aft on Navigation Deck, when there's no music playing, can also be quiet. It has both sunny & shady areas, as well as the pool, and is close to food/drink. You get a chance to meet people and chat there.

My two favorite spots in which to sit and read, or watch a sail away are the deck chairs on Lower Promenade and aft on Navigation Deck.

The Lower Promenade is quiet, and out of the sun. There is the sound and smell of the sea right in front of you, with the ability to watch the walkers. Kind of fun.

Aft on Navigation Deck, when there's no music playing, can also be quiet. It has both sunny & shady areas, as well as the pool, and is close to food/drink. You get a chance to meet people and chat there.

Two of our favorite spots, Ruth. For the same reasons. :)

Thanks for the answers, any tips for the sea sickness, that makes me worried so much, my friend enjoy when the boat enter rough seas, I'm not sure if I would love that so much, the rocking movement of the boat sure will help me to sleep (I enjoyed that so much on the Explorer of the Seas) but not if all the stuff in the cabin start to move around and I have to hold to the mattress of the bed to not fall of it.

I've had rougher rides on the larger ships than I have had on the smaller ships:D they aren't as big - so there isn't as much to bounce around (I'm no engineer that's just my best guess):D

I have crossed the Ocean on the Norwegian Dream, the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Prinsendam to name a few. The Prinsendam is HAL's smallest ship (smaller than the Maasdam) and it was a wonderful voyage:D

speaking only for myself and dh, I have always found the ride smoother on the smaller ships and prefer them:D

edited to say - HAL offers candied ginger on your way out of the MDR and green apples. These two things are marvelous at helping a bit of mal de mer

Thanks for the tips, I'm not thinking we should have any rough seas in the Caribbean but I'm not a pro about this, the only other concern would be a norro virus on the boat, I've heard horror stories that all the comfort stuff was closed (whirlpool, pools and such) I cross my fingers to never ever have to see that happen, that would turn my cruise into a nightmare if I can't enjoy whirlpools each day (I'm a big fan of whirlpools and sauna and loosing this would be as bad as not being able to go to any beach because they confine everyone on board)

Thank you all for the great advice. If anyone has any insights into differences or positives we might experience going from the larger ships to a smaller one, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you all for the great advice. If anyone has any insights into differences or positives we might experience going from the larger ships to a smaller one, that would be helpful as well.

It's affords a more intimate atmosphere: We love the smaller ships for that reason...you are constantly running into people you've seen before...and people seem friendlier because of that perhaps.

The positive, it would seem to me, is that is the cruise you chose. :)

You selected to book this ship for this cruise, presumably, because it is the cruise you wish to take. :)

Maasdam is a wonderful ship, it is fast walk from bow to stern and nothing is 'far away', relatively speaking.

We love Maasdam and can never get enough time on her.

Thanks for the tips, I'm not thinking we should have any rough seas in the Caribbean but I'm not a pro about this, the only other concern would be a norro virus on the boat, I've heard horror stories that all the comfort stuff was closed (whirlpool, pools and such) I cross my fingers to never ever have to see that happen, that would turn my cruise into a nightmare if I can't enjoy whirlpools each day (I'm a big fan of whirlpools and sauna and loosing this would be as bad as not being able to go to any beach because they confine everyone on board)

We just came off the Ryndam and our first segment, 14 days, we were in Code Red for most of the cruise. It's the luck of the draw. Yes, the amenities you mentioned were closed (the Lido pool was open, however). If you can't invision the possibilty of going through that, probably best that you don't cruise.

We just came off the Ryndam and our first segment, 14 days, we were in Code Red for most of the cruise. It's the luck of the draw. Yes, the amenities you mentioned were closed (the Lido pool was open, however). If you can't invision the possibilty of going through that, probably best that you don't cruise.

I'm just curious to know how common it is to get this kind of virus on board a ship, Was I lucky on Explorer of the seas in 2009, is it so common that there's a 50/50 risk of it on the cruise ???

It is far less than 50% of cruises that go out with or develop noro virus outbreaks but it is not uncommon.

Noro virus is the second most common illness humans suffer,,,,, the first being the common cold.

It is all over our communities in schools, dormitories, nursing homes, hospitals..... everyplace that people gather in numbers. The reason we hear about it on ships is because after a certain percentage of guests/crew succumb, it must be reported. No hotels need keep track, even really know or report how many cases they have. Unlike a cruise, people are constantly coming and going and have little contact with eachother. If your neighbor in a hotel has noro, (s)he likely thinks its something they ate......... without the common communication like on ships, no one knows when a hotel has an outbreak.

The most effective way to keep yourself virus free is to wash your hands well with soap and water and to do it often. Each time you wash your hands, lather and rub the soap on your hands, under nails as long as it takes you to sing Happy Birthday.

Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth. Those are the 'entry portals' for the virus.

Thanks for the tips, I never trust water and soap to wash my hands (especially in public restrooms, the stuff is so full of germs there that washing your hands you risk getting sick by touching the soap pump, the drier or the water handles (not sure of the correct term in english for that) usually I do it with water and soap and after my hands are dry, I use Purell to do a perfect job. I will get a pack of Imodium just in case of a problem (usually when I bring any kind of medication while traveling that isn't for my asthma or common allergy, I end up not needing it so that is a good sign of luck somehow)

Archived