Religious Services onboard

tgetz

We have served as Guest Minister ( and musician)on board HAL ships for 15 years. Recently, our assignments are only for the Grands. That is across the board, unless things change after input from passengers.

Still a great service that HAL offers ..it appears that the “Value Added” is well received. We are boarding the PRINSENDAM tomorrow..Grand Africa and Mediterranean .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is canon law, and then there is everyday practice. I've only once in my life had a priest actually ask if I was a Roman Catholic and he refused communion to all who were not (this was a wedding party so he met with all of us the night before). I have occasionally heard a priest say just before communion that all Catholics are welcome, implying that others were not without actually saying it. For the most part, however, it doesn't come up. I've never heard a priest offering mass on a HAL ship say anything at all about it.

When my DH suffered a fatal heart attack on the Zuiderdam, the Roman Catholic priest arrived on the scene at 5:15 a.m. and stayed with me to do the commendation an hour later. He had asked when he first arrived if we were Roman Catholic, and I shared with him that we were both life time Lutherans. Despite that, he said he was having a mass for my DH at 9 a.m. and he hoped I would attend and receive the sacrament. I did attend and was deeply grateful.

On my next cruise a year later, I sought out the priest before the scheduled Mass and asked if he was willing to commune a Lutheran. He immediately responded "yes!", quoted St. Francis, and then asked if I would read the first lesson. He was also the priest on my next cruise so I, again, attended Mass almost daily.

When I was later booking a Christmas cruise, I purposely booked HAL again because they guaranteed Christmas Eve worship and I couldn't find that promise on any other line. Because of my previous experiences with the priests on HAL, it didn't occur to me to ask about receiving the sacrament. But, as Father Jacques began the service, he explained very forcefully that only Roman Catholics were allowed to receive Communion. I was deeply disappointed, while recognizing that he had the "right" to exclude me.

I know I could attend a protestant service on some HAL cruises, but HAL does not allow them to offer the Eucharist which is very important to me. My point in sharing this is to point out that an occasional priest will stick to the "letter of the law" and refuse the sacrament to those of us of who are not Roman Catholic.

When my DH suffered a fatal heart attack on the Zuiderdam, the Roman Catholic priest arrived on the scene at 5:15 a.m. and stayed with me to do the commendation an hour later. He had asked when he first arrived if we were Roman Catholic, and I shared with him that we were both life time Lutherans. Despite that, he said he was having a mass for my DH at 9 a.m. and he hoped I would attend and receive the sacrament. I did attend and was deeply grateful.

On my next cruise a year later, I sought out the priest before the scheduled Mass and asked if he was willing to commune a Lutheran. He immediately responded "yes!", quoted St. Francis, and then asked if I would read the first lesson. He was also the priest on my next cruise so I, again, attended Mass almost daily.

When I was later booking a Christmas cruise, I purposely booked HAL again because they guaranteed Christmas Eve worship and I couldn't find that promise on any other line. Because of my previous experiences with the priests on HAL, it didn't occur to me to ask about receiving the sacrament. But, as Father Jacques began the service, he explained very forcefully that only Roman Catholics were allowed to receive Communion. I was deeply disappointed, while recognizing that he had the "right" to exclude me.

I know I could attend a protestant service on some HAL cruises, but HAL does not allow them to offer the Eucharist which is very important to me. My point in sharing this is to point out that an occasional priest will stick to the "letter of the law" and refuse the sacrament to those of us of who are not Roman Catholic.

I appreciate your thoughtful post and your sharing of deeply personal experiences. Regarding receiving Communion, I don't know if you believe in transubstantiation, but this is vital to the issue of receiving Communion at Mass. If you do not believe in it, please consider what it would mean to those who do if the sacrament was open to all regardless of what/who one believes they are actually receiving. If you do believe in it, I would have to respectfully ask whether the Eucharist at your Church is also believed to be the actual body of Our Lord, not just a symbolic presence. If that is not believed, and you want to receive when you attend Mass, you have the option to enter into the Catholic Church via certain steps.

Please excuse me if I've overstepped my bounds, but this topic has come up in at least one other thread, and I sincerely think my perspective belongs in the conversation. For a more concise explanation, one can usually find it inside the cover of the missalette found in many Catholic churches.

I appreciate your thoughtful post and your sharing of deeply personal experiences. Regarding receiving Communion, I don't know if you believe in transubstantiation, but this is vital to the issue of receiving Communion at Mass. If you do not believe in it, please consider what it would mean to those who do if the sacrament was open to all regardless of what/who one believes they are actually receiving. If you do believe in it, I would have to respectfully ask whether the Eucharist at your Church is also believed to be the actual body of Our Lord, not just a symbolic presence. If that is not believed, and you want to receive when you attend Mass, you have the option to enter into the Catholic Church via certain steps.

Please excuse me if I've overstepped my bounds, but this topic has come up in at least one other thread, and I sincerely think my perspective belongs in the conversation. For a more concise explanation, one can usually find it inside the cover of the missalette found in many Catholic churches.

Thank you, SetAnOpenCourse, for your very thoughtful Post. (y)(y)(y)

I fully understand how that would be disappointing. I've always felt that what is between me and God is my business. When I married my husband, my devout Catholic mother-in-law gave me her blessing (and that's who mattered because I didn't want to offend her by taking Communion). As a result I have always received the Eucharist in any Church that I have attended (and there have been lots-of various denominations-, since my kids went to a Catholic Choir school). I listen to my heart and don't hear any of the dissenting voices. Denominations are a product of man. Jesus said, "When two or three are gathered....." and I trust that my going to the Lord's table pleases Him, even if it doesn't others who don't know me or my beliefs.

Interesting thread - as I understand Christianity, one of the basics is to "judge not" - so it seems important, while following ones own beliefs regarding communion, to not impose them on others. There does seem to be sincerely held feelings on both sides of the question (including those held by ordained priests) as to who may, or may not, receive communion as offered in the Catholic mass.

it seems best to quietly follow ones own values - and to either quietly participate or to comply with the views expressed by the officiant if sought.

DH and I do not share the same faith.

Never been a problem. Well, not for us. There has from time to time been some interfering busy body relative who liked to stick their beak in. Once told to wind their neck back in the fuss was inevitably over. You choose your friends but get stuck with your relatives.

I appreciate your very thoughtful and substantive response, SetAnOpenCourse. And I do understand transubstantiation, having majored in Theology as an undergraduate. The Lutheran belief is a little confusing but somewhat related to yours: we believe that Christ's body and blood are "in, with and under" the bread and wine. (Don't ask me to explain that.<smile>)

Whenever I have received the sacrament at a Mass here in my hometown or on a cruise, I have talked with the priest, except on that Christmas Eve cruise. But again, like a couple others have commented, it had appeared to me from my previous experience that the priests were willing to commune non-RC's since they had the only sacrament available.

While saddened and disappointed when believing Christians are turned away from the table, I do not question at all that the priest has the "right" to limit participation. And I remain deeply grateful for those who invite me to the table.

And by the way, if you were to worship at my home church, you would be invited to receive the sacrament if you wish to.

Again, I fully respect your beliefs but I am also hopeful that the priest on board my cruise next month might welcome me to receive.

Thanks for listening. . .

I appreciate your very thoughtful and substantive response, SetAnOpenCourse. And I do understand transubstantiation, having majored in Theology as an undergraduate. The Lutheran belief is a little confusing but somewhat related to yours: we believe that Christ's body and blood are "in, with and under" the bread and wine. (Don't ask me to explain that.<smile>)

Whenever I have received the sacrament at a Mass here in my hometown or on a cruise, I have talked with the priest, except on that Christmas Eve cruise. But again, like a couple others have commented, it had appeared to me from my previous experience that the priests were willing to commune non-RC's since they had the only sacrament available.

While saddened and disappointed when believing Christians are turned away from the table, I do not question at all that the priest has the "right" to limit participation. And I remain deeply grateful for those who invite me to the table.

And by the way, if you were to worship at my home church, you would be invited to receive the sacrament if you wish to.

Again, I fully respect your beliefs but I am also hopeful that the priest on board my cruise next month might welcome me to receive.

Thanks for listening. . .

Likewise I appreciate your posts, Detroit70. It's interesting to learn what your denomination believes regarding Communion. I've read that Martin Luther believed in the Real Presence, although I have not studied his theology.

If I may add one more comment, I'd suggest that you try to confirm that an individual priest has, as you say, a "right" to decide who may receive communion. That seems incorrect to me, at least in the ordinary case. The situation may actually be rather "cut and dry" in this matter (i.e., not up to the presiding priest), although I can't speak with authority. It does worry me when I read that someone (not you; I refer to other posts and threads) decides to receive based solely on the opinion of a friend or family member.

It's worth noting here that not every Catholic attending a Mass should receive, as it ties in with their spiritual state and the sacrament of reconciliation. It sounds like you may be aware of this.

Again, there is usually guidance in the missalette. And as you know, all are welcome to attend Mass. Without proselytizing, IMO, converts often make the best Catholics. :-)

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

DH and I do not share the same faith.

Never been a problem. Well, not for us. There has from time to time been some interfering busy body relative who liked to stick their beak in. Once told to wind their neck back in the fuss was inevitably over. You choose your friends but get stuck with your relatives.

BFF says friends are God's way of making up for the family He gave you.

Likewise I appreciate your posts, Detroit70. It's interesting to learn what your denomination believes regarding Communion. I've read that Martin Luther believed in the Real Presence, although I have not studied his theology.

If I may add one more comment, I'd suggest that you try to confirm that an individual priest has, as you say, a "right" to decide who may receive communion. That seems incorrect to me, at least in the ordinary case. The situation may actually be rather "cut and dry" in this matter (i.e., not up to the presiding priest), although I can't speak with authority. It does worry me when I read that someone (not you; I refer to other posts and threads) decides to receive based solely on the opinion of a friend or family member.

It's worth noting here that not every Catholic attending a Mass should receive, as it ties in with their spiritual state and the sacrament of reconciliation. It sounds like you may be aware of this.

Again, there is usually guidance in the missalette. And as you know, all are welcome to attend Mass. Without proselytizing, IMO, converts often make the best Catholics. :-)

Another excellent Post, SetAnOpenCourse. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and humility in discussing in what can be a very contentious issue. For information concerning the "official" position of the US Roman Catholic Church on this matter (as set forth by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops), I direct your attention to the articles I've linked below:

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/order-of-mass/liturgy-of-the-eucharist/guidelines-for-the-reception-of-communion.cfm

https://www.catholic.com/tract/who-can-receive-communion

Like you, I find it best to go to the source for information such as this, rather than relying on "the opinion of a friend or family member", much less that of a complete stranger online.

Smooth sailing and God Bless!

Edited by avian777