Need help with airport question

The cruise I am planning on Allure arrives back in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday, October 20...the only nonstop flight leaving FLL on that date departs at 11:00 am...I have never cruised or flown out of Ft. Lauderdale, so I need some feedback...is it unrealistic that I could be off the ship and to the airport in time to make this flight? :confused:

It is definitely possible especially if you are able to make use of the express walk off option. Both Allure and Oasis regularly arrive in port quite early and the airport is extremely close to the cruise terminal. Of course Murphy's Law can apply and something can always cause delays either in debarkation or during check in or when clearing security at the airport, so there are no guarantees.

thanks, negc...you are right about Murphy's Law, but I was mainly concerned if it was a reasonable expectation that I could make the flight...I know I've cruised out of Port Canaveral before and flown out of the Orlando airport...that is over a 30 minute drive from the port, and the shuttles often run late...I didn't know how long it took to get from the port to the Ft. Lauderdale airport

Self disembarked on the Allure in 2011. I believe I had the same flight time. For of the ship very fast, made it to the airport in a half hour by cab. Sat around for awhile waiting. Just make sure you get off the ship quickly and you should be fine.

Sorry meant I got off the ship very fast

We have made 11:00 a.m. flights out of FLL without any problem - airport is close to the cruise terminal. You cannot use the luggage valet program with a flight that early. We found our biggest hang-up was at the airport - long lines for TSA - but we were still okay.

The cruise I am planning on Allure arrives back in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday, October 20...the only nonstop flight leaving FLL on that date departs at 11:00 am...I have never cruised or flown out of Ft. Lauderdale, so I need some feedback...is it unrealistic that I could be off the ship and to the airport in time to make this flight? :confused:

We did this cruise back in October of 2011 and had a 10:55am flight out of FLL. We did express walkoff and I think were at the airport by 8am. we could have made the 9:15am earlier flight, although I wouldn't take the risk. Take a taxi which is much quicker than a shuttle and you will have plenty of time, as long as everything goes ok with the ship.

thanks, negc...you are right about Murphy's Law, but I was mainly concerned if it was a reasonable expectation that I could make the flight...I know I've cruised out of Port Canaveral before and flown out of the Orlando airport...that is over a 30 minute drive from the port, and the shuttles often run late...I didn't know how long it took to get from the port to the Ft. Lauderdale airport

It is only a few miles, and that is mostly because you have to loop around and go through checkpoints. It is reasonable to make it. If everything were running smooth you would make it even if you waited to go down and pick up your own luggage. However, I would do self-disembarking just to be sure. You will probably be at your gate by 8-8:30 if you do that. More than early enough.

FLL is very close to Port Everglades... I seriously think you could self disembark, drag your luggage behind you and walk to FLL and still make that 11am flight... might be a little dangerous walking along the interstate but you could make it :p

I'm still waiting for someone to post that they've done this LOL

Oasis/Allure - walk off the ship and grab a taxi - shouldn't be any problem making it to FLL on time for that flight :)

Assuming no big delays in customs/immigration/clearing the ship of course!

Normally a 11 AM flight would be no problem but then came sequester!

Nobody knows what the lines will be like with personnel cutback. It will effect both CBP disembarking and the TSA lines at the airport.

My DW is a federal employee and her mandatory days with out pay start in August and she must take off one day per pay period.

You get off and I get on that day! LOL

I know I was looking at flights...and all the am flights are so much cheaper....

Julie, I have been following the roll call for the October 13 sailing and am amazed at the number of cruisers who are doing a B2B with the October 20 sailing...I guess you and I will just do a tag :)

Yep...we almost was going to do a b2b...

Archived