If you had to choose: Hawaii or Panama Canal?

Cras108er

We have done both and thoroughly enjoyed them both. Cruising for us is more about the destination than the shipboard experience, so we aren't that crazy about a lot of sea days in a row. For that reason, we went with NCL Pride of America to Hawaii. We had been to Oahu several times, but had never seen the other islands. We rented a car at each stop and had lots of time to explore each island. We found some great snorkeling spots. The night cruise by the active volcano and the cruise by the Napali Coast were spectacular. We had an aft cabin and it was perfect. We found the crew to be young, fun and very friendly.

We did the full transit of the Canal. It was a long day through the canal, but not boreing. Very interesting. There were some very nice stops also. I agree with a previous poster - choose both!

Hawaii, hands down. I've been 5 times to the major islands (Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Hawaii). Haven't been to the Panama Canal ONCE. I've looked and contemplated, but would choose Hawaii anytime. Now I haven't cruised Hawaii, always done land vacations there.

Now if someone were to GIVE me a cruise to the Panama Canal, I wouldn't turn it down, but it's not something I would pay to do.

We've done both. I agree that Hawaii is best done as a land tour, but if you do decide on Hawaii, I'd do a week there and then an inter-island one week cruise. Also, depending on when you go.....friends just got back from a 14 day R/T LA/LA and they said the sailing over and back was chilly, windy and rocky. I've seen other posts that have said if you do R/T LA/LA, in Jan/Feb/Mar, it will NOT be tropical coming and going.

We've done both. I agree that Hawaii is best done as a land tour, but if you do decide on Hawaii, I'd do a week there and then an inter-island one week cruise. Also, depending on when you go.....friends just got back from a 14 day R/T LA/LA and they said the sailing over and back was chilly, windy and rocky. I've seen other posts that have said if you do R/T LA/LA, in Jan/Feb/Mar, it will NOT be tropical coming and going.

Thanks! That seals the deal. I recall reading similar posts about the 14-day out of LA. One of the main reasons we cruise is to escape the cold climate. I would not be a happy camper if I got on the ship and it was less than tropical weather. Last year, the first day or so out SD heading to Mexico was a bit too chilly for my taste. Never had that problem out of Miami.

While this may be somewhat non-responsive....

Panama Canal....FULL transit (out of FLL).

The Canal is about to change...getting larger for larger ships. The only way to see the original canal for sure is to go now, before they open the new locks in a year or two.

The ships are relatively small (to fit the locks) now....when the larger locks open.....you can see where this is going.... :rolleyes::)

Excellent advice re:coming changes. Full transit would also be my recommendation. Loved our Miami to LA last April on NCL Pearl.

Sounds great if time permits two in one cruise and budget allows.

enjoyed the trip i went taking a shore excursion through partial canal. a lot of history in the making.

Weater was wet all day , and did not stop me from enjoying my cruise.

Cartahena 100% agree, enjyed that port, as well as many others.

For hawaii, it is on everyone's wish list.;)

Really? Can you go wrong?

I have done land vacations in HI (Kaui mostly), and cruised the islands RT San Diego. Cruising is just enough to whet your appetite for more of the islands. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That being said, we are doing a full transit of the canal (FLL to SEA) in April 2014 (we picked this cruise because when it ends, we will be home).

What can I say, we love sea days.

Have a fantastic cruise whichever you decide.

Really? Can you go wrong?

I have done land vacations in HI (Kaui mostly), and cruised the islands RT San Diego. Cruising is just enough to whet your appetite for more of the islands. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That being said, we are doing a full transit of the canal (FLL to SEA) in April 2014 (we picked this cruise because when it ends, we will be home).

What can I say, we love sea days.

Have a fantastic cruise whichever you decide.

We love Kauai!

Always need at least 3 days just for Kauai, preferably longer.

A week on Kauai after the cruise is ideal to have days for going exploring as well as lazy days at the beautiful beaches.

For those who love the sea days as well as sufficient time on land to relax and enjoy the islands, a one-way cruise to Hawaii provides the ideal combination.

We love Kauai!

Always need at least 3 days just for Kauai, preferably longer.

A week on Kauai after the cruise is ideal to have days for going exploring as well as lazy days at the beautiful beaches.

Have to agree 100%. Kauai is the "true" Hawaii IMO.:)

To compare apples to apples, I think you need to look at full transit canal (14 days or so) vs cruise to/from Hawaii. Or cruise in Hawaii vs partial transit.

We've done the NCL Pride of America in Hawaii - 7 days which included 2 overnights (Maui & Kauai). (and we flew in the day before, so had some sightseeing time pre-cruise.) I would recommend that over cruising to or from Hawaii with so many days at sea and shorter island times. Unless you love sea days, of course.

One day we hope to do the full transit canal.

I think this is the best answer! If you have 2 wks, then I would do a 7-night cruise in Hawaii along with a week stay. Best of both worlds! I would just not want to go to Hawaii and spend the majority of my time getting to and from. It is an amazing place. The week-long cruise is great!

The partial canal is nice, but it wasn't my favorite cruise. My DH liked it better because he was fascinated with the engineering feat. The ship - the Island Princess - was probably my favorite ship so far. Just the right size!

So I guess it comes down to the things that YOU like the best. Have fun choosing!!:)

Archived