Ketchikan bus to Totem Bight

thelmalouise-n-thekid

In Juneau, I particularly like Spear enamel pins/etc. Maybe a zipper pull could be used as a charm (I don't buy charms- and don't want to mislead) They do have a web site with their designs. Very colorful and "hardy", never chip etc . Excellent quality.

Easy to walk to on Franklin St.

Thank you Budget Queen,

I will definately check them out, thank you.

If I were to go into numerous shops to look for charms I would be tempted to look at other jewlery for myself and I don`t need to do that :p

I am not the person you are asking for--but, I would suggest getting them a little whale's tale. I got these charms for necklaces for each of the girls I bought for. There are jewelery stores everywhere. I bought mine in Skagway.

Thank you. I was thinking of something like a whale or starfish, they love animals.

Our granddaughters (they are 7 and 10 yrs old) have charm braclets and I would like to bring them back a nice little charm for them each. I was wondering if there is a place you could recommend for something like that.

Hi Lady Slipper,

My first knee-jerk response is that at the Cruise Ship Terminal you will be given a free coupon book that has sections for all of the ports & has freebies that you can gather during your visit like ornaments, coins, & charms. There are several companies who participate and I don't have the book this year but in past years there were charm designs such as a forget me not (the state flower), a cruise ship, a totem pole, a train, bear, salmon, etc. all different designs.

One place is Diamond's International who gives a 'free' charm at every cruise stop. There's some hoops to jump through and maybe someone who has done it in other ports can chime in too. But the general idea is you have to go to one of the shopping talks to get the DI card. And from there you can pick up the charms in each city you visit. Of course, the idea is for you to buy something there (which is the same with ALL of the freebies!) so you may have to spend 5 minutes talking to the seller. (by the way, most of the charms can also just be bought for ~$5/ea at the DI locations...) I've met many families who are on a mission to get each of the charms to complete their bracelets! The kids love them!

As for a place you can walk in and buy a charm - there are plenty of spots! :-) A couple of 'local' jewelry stores that are open year round (I prefer!) are Julie's Fine Jewelry (one block up from the Cruise Ship Dock), The Gold Rush (just opposite Berth #1), and Tom's Treasures (near the movie theater, 1 block from the Cruise Ship dock). They will have nice options.

If you're just looking for enamel type ones, a little lower quality, Tongass Trading Company on the dock at Berth #2 is a great place to find just about anything. I went last season and picked up a bunch of zipper pulls like BudgetQueen mentioned that were on clearance for 99 cents! They made excellent Christmas gifts for my niece & nephew who love Alaska! I even put one on my raincoat...haha!

I hope that answered your question!

Enjoy...

Hi Lady Slipper,

My first knee-jerk response is that at the Cruise Ship Terminal you will be given a free coupon book that has sections for all of the ports & has freebies that you can gather during your visit like ornaments, coins, & charms. There are several companies who participate and I don't have the book this year but in past years there were charm designs such as a forget me not (the state flower), a cruise ship, a totem pole, a train, bear, salmon, etc. all different designs.

One place is Diamond's International who gives a 'free' charm at every cruise stop. There's some hoops to jump through and maybe someone who has done it in other ports can chime in too. But the general idea is you have to go to one of the shopping talks to get the DI card. And from there you can pick up the charms in each city you visit. Of course, the idea is for you to buy something there (which is the same with ALL of the freebies!) so you may have to spend 5 minutes talking to the seller. (by the way, most of the charms can also just be bought for ~$5/ea at the DI locations...) I've met many families who are on a mission to get each of the charms to complete their bracelets! The kids love them!

As for a place you can walk in and buy a charm - there are plenty of spots! :-) A couple of 'local' jewelry stores that are open year round (I prefer!) are Julie's Fine Jewelry (one block up from the Cruise Ship Dock), The Gold Rush (just opposite Berth #1), and Tom's Treasures (near the movie theater, 1 block from the Cruise Ship dock). They will have nice options.

If you're just looking for enamel type ones, a little lower quality, Tongass Trading Company on the dock at Berth #2 is a great place to find just about anything. I went last season and picked up a bunch of zipper pulls like BudgetQueen mentioned that were on clearance for 99 cents! They made excellent Christmas gifts for my niece & nephew who love Alaska! I even put one on my raincoat...haha!

I hope that answered your question!

Enjoy...

Hi rditton,

Yes, you have more than answered my question, thank you. Now I know what "local" stores to go to. I may pick up a couple of the "free charms" for the girls but their Mom & Dad bought them very nice charm bracelets just recently so I want to find a nice special charm for each of them at one of the local jewlery shops.

Thanks again :)

some cruisers love too collect these charms that are in the coupon book that you get at the cruise terminal, but i find them a total waste of my port time. they are cute but not worth the '' tough sales pitch '' it takes too get one. very seldom do they just hand you one unless you look at numerous jewlery peices they want you too buy. and they dont like the word '' no '' or hear '' i just came in for the free stuff ''. i can find nice , inexpensive priced charms and things in the other shops and not waste my port time trying too find all the stores it takes too get these items. i did it my first cruise like thousands of others but not any more. i do go too the store that has the ship name and cabin # for a daily gift though.

sorry if i rained on anyones parade.

some cruisers love too collect these charms that are in the coupon book that you get at the cruise terminal, but i find them a total waste of my port time. they are cute but not worth the '' tough sales pitch '' it takes too get one. very seldom do they just hand you one unless you look at numerous jewlery peices they want you too buy. and they dont like the word '' no '' or hear '' i just came in for the free stuff ''. i can find nice , inexpensive priced charms and things in the other shops and not waste my port time trying too find all the stores it takes too get these items. i did it my first cruise like thousands of others but not any more. i do go too the store that has the ship name and cabin # for a daily gift though.

Dustyroad,

Not sure what the above comment refers to? I am only familiar with the coupons you can take in (from the coupon books) for a "free item"

Dustyroad,

Not sure what the above comment refers to? I am only familiar with the coupons you can take in (from the coupon books) for a "free item"

The vendors, usually aren't "quick" handing you anything for free, and may expect you to at least look around. :)

sorry if i rained on anyones parade.

Absolutely agree. My port time is short enough as it is. Some people really like the collecting. Free, also means freedom of choice. :)

Hi rditton:

I have another question for you please. We were planning on waiting till we got there and then decide if we wanted to take the Duck Tour. I did some searching and I`m not sure if I read it right or not but the day we get there (May 10th) there are 3 other ships ( all Holland America ships) in port that day as well. If this is correct I am thinking I should be booking now or there may not be anything to book when we arrive. Would this be your recommendation?

Cheers

Hi rditton:

I have another question for you please. We were planning on waiting till we got there and then decide if we wanted to take the Duck Tour. I did some searching and I`m not sure if I read it right or not but the day we get there (May 10th) there are 3 other ships ( all Holland America ships) in port that day as well. If this is correct I am thinking I should be booking now or there may not be anything to book when we arrive. Would this be your recommendation?

Cheers

Thanks for posting this! We have about 5 hours to "waste" before our flight seeing tour and I, too, was wondering if Duck Tours would be available when we get there or should we just go ahead and book now?

Hi rditton:

Cheers

Is this a "must do" tour?? It can be popular and I did see a sold out, one day last year. You might want to contact the vendor and inquire about slots left, and their recommendations for walk up space.

Thanks for posting this! We have about 5 hours to "waste" before our flight seeing tour and I, too, was wondering if Duck Tours would be available when we get there or should we just go ahead and book now?

Never would I ever consider "waste" in Alaska. :)

this is a large block of time, perhaps you may also want to consider Totem Bight and Potlatch Park.

Never would I ever consider "waste" in Alaska. :)

this is a large block of time, perhaps you may also want to consider Totem Bight and Potlatch Park.

Totem Bight & Potlatch are also things we are considering. I'm not sure how much my 76yo mom will want to do so I thought having the option of doing the Ducks right in town might be more "relaxing". This may be one of the ports that we split up and 1/2 of us do the Ducks and the other 1/2 goes to Totem Bight - one of those "play it by ear" kind of ports.

I would recommend purchasing tickets in advance for the Duck Tour for a couple of reasons: 1. The Duck tour is very popular and often sells out or has very limited seating. 2. They offer a $2 discount per Adult ticket purchased if you purchase in advance on their website (or call them.)

You're right, on May 10th there are 4 Cruise Ships in town (here's a schedule)and if you look at the Duck Tour availability on that day, they have 8 tours running.

If you want a specific time - book it now. The more popular times are mid-morning to early afternoon so those will sell out first. If you decide to wait and purchase tickets when you get in town, visit the selling booths earlier rather than later as they will have the most availability early in the day. They have selling booths at each Cruise Ship Berth and inside the Ketchikan Visitor's Information Center.

Enjoy! (I love the Duck tour....) :-)

I would recommend purchasing tickets in advance for the Duck Tour for a couple of reasons: 1. The Duck tour is very popular and often sells out or has very limited seating. 2. They offer a $2 discount per Adult ticket purchased if you purchase in advance on their website (or call them.)

You're right, on May 10th there are 4 Cruise Ships in town (here's a schedule)and if you look at the Duck Tour availability on that day, they have 8 tours running.

If you want a specific time - book it now. The more popular times are mid-morning to early afternoon so those will sell out first. If you decide to wait and purchase tickets when you get in town, visit the selling booths earlier rather than later as they will have the most availability early in the day. They have selling booths at each Cruise Ship Berth and inside the Ketchikan Visitor's Information Center.

Enjoy! (I love the Duck tour....) :-)

Our ship doesn`t arrive till 2pm so booking in advance looks like the best option. Thank you for the links.

I see luckily one of the ships will have left by the time we arrive but there`s still going to be a mess of people in town that day. :eek:

Our ship doesn`t arrive till 2pm so booking in advance looks like the best option. Thank you for the links.

I see luckily one of the ships will have left by the time we arrive but there`s still going to be a mess of people in town that day. :eek:

Muhahaha, I'm going to be in that mess of people! Totem Bight by bus will be our plan though as soon as we get in at 10 depending on the crowds. 4 is many ships :S

I have to agree with Budget Queen about how popular the city bus to Totem Bight has become. When we were in Ketchikan last September, we tried to catch the city bus early right near the port and it was chaos trying to get on the bus. Not everyone at the stop made it on the bus. We walked up to the stop at the library and the bus was practically empty when it arrived. When we stopped near the port, again not everyone was able to get on the bus. Walk to another stop if you want to sure to get on.

I have to agree with Budget Queen about how popular the city bus to Totem Bight has become. When we were in Ketchikan last September, we tried to catch the city bus early right near the port and it was chaos trying to get on the bus. Not everyone at the stop made it on the bus. We walked up to the stop at the library and the bus was practically empty when it arrived. When we stopped near the port, again not everyone was able to get on the bus. Walk to another stop if you want to sure to get on.

About how far is the library stop from the port stop? My mom's 76 and her knees aren't what they used to be, so I'm trying to take it easy on her. But I know she'd hate waiting for a bus and then not being able to get on more than she'd hate walking a couple extra blocks (?) to insure getting on.

About how far is the library stop from the port stop? My mom's 76 and her knees aren't what they used to be, so I'm trying to take it easy on her. But I know she'd hate waiting for a bus and then not being able to get on more than she'd hate walking a couple extra blocks (?) to insure getting on.

I would say it's about a 5-10 minute walk. Attached is the route map. The port stop ist at #9 and Library is at #8. We found it to be a nice easy walk. Saw a little of the town on the way. Just check the schedule and make sure you are at the stop a little before the next bus is to arrrive. Quite a few people got on with us but it was nowhere near the madhouse as down by the dock.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/KetchikanBusSchedule.pdf

I would say it's about a 5-10 minute walk. Attached is the route map. The port stop ist at #9 and Library is at #8. We found it to be a nice easy walk. Saw a little of the town on the way. Just check the schedule and make sure you are at the stop a little before the next bus is to arrrive. Quite a few people got on with us but it was nowhere near the madhouse as down by the dock.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/documents/KetchikanBusSchedule.pdf

Thank you! 5-10 minutes shouldn't be that big a deal for mom. And if we can avoid the madhouse at the dock, she'll be all for a little exercise!:)

Not sure what the deal is but the map I downloaded back in November shows the library stop as #12 and Front St/Tunnel as #14. Looks like the times are the same. The one I have as something's highlighted in yellow on the schedule too.

All you need to know is the streets. There were no numbers at the bus stops, last year, just a small "bus stop" sign.

Archived