Ketchikan bus to Totem Bight

thelmalouise-n-thekid

Numerous threads on these boards have me wondering about our plans in Ketchikan. Our ship docks at 7:00am on a Thursday, a Princess ship also docks at 7:00am. Two other ships dock later in the morning. According to the bus schedule only one bus picks up in the area of the dock enroute to Totem Bight each hour. What are the chances of getting a seat on the first bus that stops with 2 ships in port?

Thank you for the replies. We don't mind standing or if it is crowded as long as we can get on.

Look at the map of the bus route, one of the posters indicated you could get on the bus before it reaches the port area, if you are concerned about getting a seat. You will need the schedule to tell you when to pickup the bus on the way back.

Dave

Look at the map of the bus route, one of the posters indicated you could get on the bus before it reaches the port area, if you are concerned about getting a seat. You will need the schedule to tell you when to pickup the bus on the way back.

Dave

Yes, I have printed out the schedule to take with us so we do not miss the bus back. Since the ship docks at 7:00 I wasn't sure if we would have time to get off and walk (we are a little slow) to the Library stop by 7:45 when the bus stops there.

Putterdude, Thank you "the bus is not heavily used....so getting on the bus should not be a huge concern"that is what I was hoping to hear.:D

I agree. You should be fine. There won't be that many people trying to take the city bus. Most won't even know about it. We did it last year and really enjoyed it.

I just assumed everyone would know about it and hundreds of people would be trying to use the bus system because it is so cheap. I should know better than to assume anything:o

I agree. You should be fine. There won't be that many people trying to take the city bus. Most won't even know about it. We did it last year and really enjoyed it.

Sorry, but this is not longer the case. The bus is VERY popular. The visitor center also promotes it. I see hords of people in the lines- including my 3 visits last year. The first bus- was full on one visit, with4 ships in dock that day.

I would suggest- you be lined up and ready to go, prior to the ship clearing. If you are "slow" hopefully you aren't at the farthest away dock, as it is a hike to the library.

When you get off the ship- check out the bus stop line across from the eagle totem. If piled up- then head to the library, a few blocks further.

Our experience has been that you will be getting on the bus at the beginning of the route and secondly, the bus is not heavily used....so getting on the bus should not be a huge concern.

More and more people know about this bus, and the visitor center promotes it. All three of my Ketchikan visits last year- had lines of people at the dock bus stops. I have been on buses, where they did not allow any more people to board.

Only suggestion, if tight on time, to line up early at both areas, and allow at least an extra hour of time.

There are many early tour starters on the 7am disembarkment ships.

Budget Queen thanks for the information. I have to say I did like the sound of the first few replies better but your description is what I thought we might find. I think we might be lucky on the ship location though, we are at berth 2. We will likely be lined up early to get off the ship so hopefully we'll get the first bus. If not we'll just start making our way to the Heritage Center to see the totem poles there. We are only in port until 1:00 and I definitely want to make it to Creek street.

Budget Queen thanks for the information. I have to say I did like the sound of the first few replies better but your description is what I thought we might find. I think we might be lucky on the ship location though, we are at berth 2. We will likely be lined up early to get off the ship so hopefully we'll get the first bus. If not we'll just start making our way to the Heritage Center to see the totem poles there. We are only in port until 1:00 and I definitely want to make it to Creek street.

It would be more costly, but you could take a cab out to Totem Bight also.

BudgetQueen is absolutely correct - there was just an article in the paper showing that in the last 5 years the Bus passengers have increased 25% each year. Just last year there were approx 150 more passengers - a day - more than the prior year. Definitely the earlier the better! :-)

Enjoy...

There are 2 totem parks, in Ketchikan is one better than the other, ? do I want to go to both, they seem to be on opposite side of town , if I want can I do both?

Actually there are 3 Totem Parks in Ketchikan but the lucky thing is that two of them are side by side! Totem Bight State Park & Potlatch Park are quite literally just beside each other so you get two parks for the price of 1 (and both have no admission fee!). They are approx 10 miles North of town. Both parks have poles, clan houses, and Potlatch Park has a carving shed, antique firearms museum & antique car museum.

Saxman Native Village is only 4'ish miles South of town and has poles, a clan house (that is off-limits to guests visiting the park on their own), & a carving shed. They have an entrance fee of $5 for walk-in guests.

As for which is better.....I'm sure you'll get lots of answers on this one. My personal preference is Totem Bight/Potlatch Park for a few reasons: 1. Totem Bight has a great walk through the rainforest to get out to the point. (There is a much shorter rainforest walk at Saxman but not nearly as interesting). 2. I love Potlatch Park - the antique firearms museum fascinates me (and I'm not a gun person!), they usually have a carver in the carving shed that answers your questions and shows you the tools they use, & the gift shop is always a hit. 3. The views from both parks are exquisite - right on the water (you can even see the mainland from Totem Bight on a clear day!).

Can you do both/all 3? SURE... But I suspect you'll be happy with one or two. :-)

Enjoy!

Rene

We are in Ketchikan from 9-6. We are doing a flight seeing tour with Michelle from Island Wings at 2:30 and have to be at the pickup point by 2:20. Do we have enough time to take the city bus to Totem Bight/Potlatch, tour and then get back for our excursion? We'd also like to do some shopping along Creek Street. Not sure if we have enough time to do all of it, but I would like to have another option in case we want to do something before our excursion since we have about 5 hours to "waste".

We are in Ketchikan from 9-6. We are doing a flight seeing tour with Michelle from Island Wings at 2:30 and have to be at the pickup point by 2:20. Do we have enough time to take the city bus to Totem Bight/Potlatch, tour and then get back for our excursion? We'd also like to do some shopping along Creek Street. Not sure if we have enough time to do all of it, but I would like to have another option in case we want to do something before our excursion since we have about 5 hours to "waste".

You need to allow 3 hours for Totem Bight. IF you wish to go there, head to the bus stop direct from disembarking the ship- know the schedule in advance.

Fill in the time between your return and flight with your Creek St stuff.

Definitely look at the schedule (here's a link) The bus runs every hour and leaves at :46 each hour from the Tunnel (arriving approx :10 past) and leaves Totem Bight heading back to downtown at :15 past and arrives approx :38 past.

Just to get an idea. If you arrive at 9am, you would catch the 9:46 bus (the Blue line that picks up at Front Street/Tunnel #14 on the list) P.S. - be in line early. :-)

That will get you to Totem Bight approx 10:10.

To get back downtown by 2:20 you would (at the LATEST!) need to catch the 1:15 bus that gets you back at 1:38.

So, yes - you have plenty of time to view both parks.

I hope that helps! (BTW, there hasn't been an update to the Bus Schedule for 2013 yet. You can check the Borough's website for updates, just in case of a change!)

Definitely look at the schedule (here's a link) The bus runs every hour and leaves at :46 each hour from the Tunnel (arriving approx :10 past) and leaves Totem Bight heading back to downtown at :15 past and arrives approx :38 past.

Just to get an idea. If you arrive at 9am, you would catch the 9:46 bus (the Blue line that picks up at Front Street/Tunnel #14 on the list) P.S. - be in line early. :-)

That will get you to Totem Bight approx 10:10.

To get back downtown by 2:20 you would (at the LATEST!) need to catch the 1:15 bus that gets you back at 1:38.

So, yes - you have plenty of time to view both parks.

I hope that helps! (BTW, there hasn't been an update to the Bus Schedule for 2013 yet. You can check the Borough's website for updates, just in case of a change!)

Thank you! This helps a lot. I printed the bus schedule so we can decide when we get there if it's something we want to do - or at least some of us.

rditton:

I`ve been checking out all the wonderful information you have been giving people and I have a question for you. Sorry to butt in here but I didn#t know where to post it to get a response from you.

Our granddaughters (they are 7 and 10 yrs old) have charm braclets and I would like to bring them back a nice little charm for them each. I was wondering if there is a place you could recommend for something like that.

Thank you

rditton:

I`ve been checking out all the wonderful information you have been giving people and I have a question for you. Sorry to butt in here but I didn#t know where to post it to get a response from you.

Our granddaughters (they are 7 and 10 yrs old) have charm braclets and I would like to bring them back a nice little charm for them each. I was wondering if there is a place you could recommend for something like that.

Thank you

I am not the person you are asking for--but, I would suggest getting them a little whale's tale. I got these charms for necklaces for each of the girls I bought for. There are jewelery stores everywhere. I bought mine in Skagway.

rditton:

Thank you

In Juneau, I particularly like Spear enamel pins/etc. Maybe a zipper pull could be used as a charm (I don't buy charms- and don't want to mislead) They do have a web site with their designs. Very colorful and "hardy", never chip etc . Excellent quality.

Easy to walk to on Franklin St.

Archived