Sapphire Beach video and review

luckyprincess

mitsugirly,

No need to apologize, your comment was correct -- and polite --and made made reread my post. I realized it painted a much more negative picture of the BEACH than I intended. On our other cruises we always depended on Sapphire to a very the laid back beach day that is becoming increasingly more difficult to find in the Caribbean.

That was not the case, for the first time in our many, many visits there. However my main disappointment was watching what that particular day's cruise tour 'snorkelers' were doing to the fragile reef. (No wonder I read that Bonaire is thinking of closing off major portions of their beautiful reefs)

Prior to this visit, my only disappointments with Sapphire have been the couple of visits where the wind was high and the water was too rough to snorkel comfortably.

tinybabynurse you're absolutely right, there are days when there's a sea swell and/or high winds and that can really make snorkeling unenjoyable. At that point we're relegated to drinking rum punches, playing with the geckos and iguanas, and staring at the sapphire-colored water :p

The fools standing on the coral have been well-documented for several years and you're right, it is just a matter of time before it's gone. It is one of the 2 best off-the-beach snorkel spots on STT.

BlueWater, you are always so sensible and reassuring:) How much farther is Maho by taxi than Trunk Bay from our port--Oasis' port, I think Crown Bay? I would still check out Sapphire first and if way too busy, go to Maho. Crowds don't bother me unless it is just really crazy.

The St John beaches are all along the same coast and Cinnamon and Maho are just a few minutes further. It's mainly the time it takes to get to Cruz Bay and taxi to one of the beaches that you add in travel time vs just going to Sapphire which is just past the Red Hook ferry. Going to Trunk or another STJ beach adds another 1.5 hrs of travel time depending on how long you have to wait for the ferry each trip.

http://www.stjohntour.com/BeachesMap.html

[EDIT] - Thank you for the compliment - don't get many of those!

mitsugirly,

No need to apologize, your comment was correct -- and polite --and made made reread my post. I realized it painted a much more negative picture of the BEACH than I intended.

Whew, I was hoping I didn't come off that way in my post. Did not mean at all to take away from your experience. :)

I guess crowds really do not bother me much and I have never really noticed this about myself until just now thinking about it. I'm not one that requires a chair (you will never find me renting any chair...I just don't stay still long enough and it's a waste for me). Anyone who has ever read my reviews know that I'm always on the go and usually in the water and most of all, I'm a "plopper". I will plop my butt down anywhere (no chairs or shade for that matter required). :D I will sit in the sand by the water and play with my daughter, I will put my towel down somewhere to lay, or I'm out in the water snorkeling, swimming or just standing there...it doesn't matter to me. So, I pretty much adapt to anywhere we can possibly go on the beach.

Whew, I was hoping I didn't come off that way in my post. Did not mean at all to take away from your experience. :

I guess crowds really do not bother me much and I have never really noticed this about myself until just now thinking about it. I'm not one that requires a chair (you will never find me renting any chair...I just don't stay still long enough and it's a waste for me). Anyone who has ever read my reviews know that I'm always on the go and usually in the water and most of all, I'm a "plopper". I will plop my butt down anywhere (no chairs or shade for that matter required). :D I will sit in the sand by the water and play with my daughter, I will put my towel down somewhere to lay, or I'm out in the water snorkeling, swimming or just standing there...it doesn't matter to me. So, I pretty much adapt to anywhere we can possibly go on the beach.

I am with you on not renting chairs--I may just bring an extra towel to throw our stuff on. I like to be in the water or exploring. All this beach talk is getting me so anxious to just be there!

The St John beaches are all along the same coast and Cinnamon and Maho are just a few minutes further. It's mainly the time it takes to get to Cruz Bay and taxi to one of the beaches that you add in travel time vs just going to Sapphire which is just past the Red Hook ferry. Going to Trunk or another STJ beach adds another 1.5 hrs of travel time depending on how long you have to wait for the ferry each trip.

http://www.stjohntour.com/BeachesMap.html

[EDIT] - Thank you for the compliment - don't get many of those!

Thanks for the map. What would be your alternative to Sapphire in St. Thomas if you had to choose?

We stay on Sapphire because it's the nicest beach with accommodations. But I think the nicest beach is actually Coki but it gets more crowded and has a busier vibe because it's such a small bay and there are several vendors. Many ppl don't like the neighborhood you drive through just before getting there but the beach is gorgeous and worth a visit. Coral World is also located there if interested. We prefer Sapphire which is comparable to Coki because it's not as busy.

If Sapphire was more crowded than usual we would probably head for Lindquist (Smith Bay) which is between Coki and Sapphire. No amenities other than chairs and restrooms but very pretty beach and bay. A new Margaritaville vacation club will be going up in Smith Bay soon.

If you want a restaurant on the beach that would be Secret Harbor, nice protected bay but very calm water and not much shade. There are condos here like at Sapphire.

On windy days we have gone to Emerald beach (Linburgh -sp?- Bay) several times and found it to be uncrowded, shady/sunny -- as you wish -- and with reasonable cost for chairs. Always calm waters on our visits because of the shape of the bay, and almost no rocks on the shore. Two (or more) places to get eats and drinks with OK prices and OK restrooms. There is a large Best Western hotel there and it is close to the ship from either of the ports. Taxis have always been there for the return trip.

No snorkeling to speak of, although if you need the exercise the left side of the bay has some fish and some coral. The right side didn't look inviting and was to far to walk to experiment.

Not the most scenic bay, by any means, and occasional aircraft noise from the nearby airport, but not enough to bother most folks.

As for the 'I don't rent a chair' discussion, I can only say that I am close to Medicare (unfortunately looking back) and chairs are much more of a factor now than when we first started cruising...;)

Yes, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the BW Emerald Beach Resort) is a fine beach to enjoy for someone looking for a decent beach closer to port when there isn't time to get to the East End or St John. No snorkeling to speak of, and not close to Sapphire, Coki, Smith Bay or the beaches of St John in terms of sand and water quality but definitely adequate.

Archived