Balcony or Suite?

Cras108er

We've decided to do a partial transit Panama Canal cruise for our next cruise in early 2014. We'll likely be on the Coral Princess. Since next year is also our 10th wedding anniversary, I was thinking of surprising DW with a suite. Now, she is a it on the frugal side, but likes nice spaces. My question is what's the difference between a suite and a balcony? I don't think she'd appreciate it if its nothing more than a regular balcony with a slightly bigger room. So, is it worth $300pp more for an eleven day cruise? Thanks.

We've decided to do a partial transit Panama Canal cruise for our next cruise in early 2014. We'll likely be on the Coral Princess. Since next year is also our 10th wedding anniversary, I was thinking of surprising DW with a suite. Now, she is a it on the frugal side, but likes nice spaces. My question is what's the difference between a suite and a balcony? I don't think she'd appreciate it if its nothing more than a regular balcony with a slightly bigger room. So, is it worth $300pp more for an eleven day cruise? Thanks.

Depends if you're thinking of a mini suite or full suite. Mini suite is really nothing more than a bit more room and I think they give you a welcome glass of champagne on embarkation.

Full suites have the bonus of more room and a list of perks: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

We treated ourselves to a full suite last Princess cruise and I'm not sure we'd ever book anything less now. Made great use of the debarkation lounge, thermal suite, full dining room menu for room service, and the complimentary laundry. And of course the Sabatinni's breakfast. So delightful!

Depends if you're thinking of a mini suite or full suite. Mini suite is really nothing more than a bit more room and I think they give you a welcome glass of champagne on embarkation.

Full suites have the bonus of more room and a list of perks: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

We treated ourselves to a full suite last Princess cruise and I'm not sure we'd ever book anything less now. Made great use of the debarkation lounge, thermal suite, full dining room menu for room service, and the complimentary laundry. And of course the Sabatinni's breakfast. So delightful!

For $300, it is well worth the suite perks. I haven't seen such a special (mini to suite for $300). Laundry and Sabatini's is well worth the extra cost. Go for it!

Renee (just off the Golden in a Full Suite). I am going though withdrawals.

Our first cruise was an inside.

Second a balcony.

3rd and 4th mini suite.

Next cruise is a full suite.

I think if it is just the two of you ( no kids), the balcony would be fine. I'm saying this even though I keep going up in rooms!

Maybe instead of the mini suite, at an additional $600, you could spring for an Ultimate balcony dining experience. It costs $100 and you can have a four course lobster meal, including champagne on your balcony. That would really surprise her! Check out the details on the Princess website.

The $300 difference in price tells me you are asking about a mini-suite, not a full suite. The mini-suite does have extra room compared to a regular balcony cabin. The mini-suite does not have the full-suite perks.

The $300 difference in price tells me you are asking about a mini-suite, not a full suite. The mini-suite does have extra room compared to a regular balcony cabin. The mini-suite does not have the full-suite perks.

Yeah, I just looked on Princess' website (I was looking at the website of an on-line TA earlier). The mini suite is 300pp more. The full suite is a little over $1k pp more than the cost of a mini-suite.

To me the biggest difference in a balcony and a mini suite on Princess is the seating arrangement. In a mini suite you have a full size sofa, in a balcony you have a semi soft chair and a makeup chair. On one cruise I found that my back was not cooperating with sitting propped up on the bed to read, watch tv, etc. Hubby and I had to share the chair and it was not fun to not have a comfy place to sit in the stateroom. Your also sure of having a bigger outdoor balcony. The real bathtub can also be nice if you like to soak after a long day.

The Coral has a good amount of public spaces, so if you tend to be out and about most of the time, a balcony should be sufficient. If you like to wind down in your cabin, splurge on a mini-suite. I've moved up from inside to balcony to mini-suites and now prefer the mini-suites. Two televisions is a benefit too if you both have different tastes in what you watch. Plus, I usually wake much earlier than my husband so I can sit on the couch and watch the television or read in the "lounge" area without disturbing him.

Jackie

Archived