late night transportation from denali national park to princess lodge

aprilsp88

Hi,

My friends plan to take a princess cruisetour which include half day stay in denali. I know that's not enough but that's the only tour left. :(

They want to take shuttle to eielson visitor center. What's the fastest transportation from the lodge to the visitor center?

The last shuttle to the lodge is at 7PM. After that, what's the transportation option back the lodge? Is it safe to walk on the street at 11PM? (I know it will still be day light).

How far from the shuttle bus stop to the lodge? 2 miles?

Thanks,

April

Hi. We did a cruisetour last year though we thankfuly had a full day for Denali. Princess does have a shuttle back and forth, but you are right that it ends earlier in the evening. We took the shuttle to the access center, but we did walk back from it to the Princess lodge last year. I unfortunately don't remember how long it look us - I think somewhere between 30 min and an hour, but I'm really not sure. It was a reasonably long walk but doable. I would recommend calling the Princess lodge once it opens for the season since they will be able to give you the more accurate distance and the exact times they run their shuttle back and forth. When we originally thought we would be getting back late, I remember reading somewhere that the Denali Salmon Bake will pick you up to take you to dinner there, and I think they stay open late. It is right accross the street from the Princess Lodge, and I would definitely recommend eating there. We had a great dinner. Think they may only be open seasonaly, but once they are open, it may be worth checking with them to see if they would do a pick up of your friends from the access center to bring them for food. Then your friends could just cross the street to the Princess Lodge after eating. The shuttle to Eielson is great!

I think we left around 7, so it wasn't that late. It didn't strike me as a place you would have to be particularly worried about crime, but we didn't see anyone else around when we walked and I would think you could come accross an animal. We didn't see any, but there aren't fences, so you never know. Not sure how light it would be at 11pm. I don't think I would want to walk back if it was really dark since it is a decent walk. We also took the short cut through a trail in the woods. I'd probably opt for the longer way around walking the whole way along the road if it was later though I'm not sure how much time that adds.

If they only have half a day- are they going to be organized enough to make these connections? If that was the only "tour" left, why aren't they open to independent travel- with all the arrangements they are going to have to deal with, they wouldn't have any problem, going on their own. Would also be far superior having their own transportation with a rental car. JUST random questions, to have them ask themselves- perhaps?

They have ONE shuttle bus they can catch- are they arriving Denali by train from Fairbanks, I assume?

Have them skip going to the lodge and go direct to the Access Center, to pick up their tickets and line up. There is a small selection of food to purchase- this is necessary- and be prepared for higher prices- be certain to take enough. It is about 1 1/2 mile walk Access Center to the Princess lodge. Problem is, they won't know where, since they won't have time to be taken to it when the get there. There is a path to follow. BUT last year, Princess did offer after hours pick up for a fee- when they open in May- verify if this is still available. Yes it is perfectly safe to walk- making a lot of noice- I carry an empty soda can with rocks. :) This is an area of moose, so never get between cows and calves.

I remember reading somewhere that the Denali Salmon Bake will pick you up to take you to dinner there, and I think they stay open late. It is right accross the street from the Princess Lodge, and I would definitely recommend eating there. We had a great dinner. Think they may only be open seasonaly, but once they are open, it may be worth checking with them to see if they would do a pick up of your friends from the access center to bring them for food. Then your friends could just cross the street to the Princess Lodge after eating. The shuttle to Eielson is great!

http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/restaurant.html

They are open until midnight, but looking quick at their web site, the pick ups are from hotels, no mention within the park.

Budget Queen,

There are more than 10 people in the group. It's hard to reserve hotel and rental car especially they're going during July.

They suppose to arrive at 12:30PM. If they're lucky, they can catch the 1PM shuttle, if not, the 2PM should be OK, right? Worst case is the 4PM shuttle. And the last shuttle is at 5PM. They may not have a chance to visit Eililson visitor center, but polychromone is pretty nice.

What do you think? Do you think this will work? The worst cast senario is to take the 5PM shuttle and walk back to the lodge.

Thanks,

April

They suppose to arrive at 12:30PM. If they're lucky, they can catch the 1PM shuttle, if not, the 2PM should be OK, right? Worst case is the 4PM shuttle. And the last shuttle is at 5PM. They may not have a chance to visit Eililson visitor center, but polychromone is pretty nice.

I assume that they are staying overnight....so what time to they leave the next day?

Typically Princess tours leave mid to late afternoon the next day. This makes it easy if someone wants to take an early shuttle (6 am or so) or TWT into the park and be back in time for the Princess bus.

Budget Queen,

There are more than 10 people in the group. It's hard to reserve hotel and rental car especially they're going during July.

What do you think? Do you think this will work? The worst cast senario is to take the 5PM shuttle and walk back to the lodge.

Thanks,

April

Shuttle tickets have to be purchased in advance. Arriving at 12:30pm I would suggest the 2pm Eielson bus. I have already given details- they need to consider following IF they wish to take a shuttle- go direct to the Access Center upon arrival- purchase all the food and drink needed. (or already have it with them) Get the park fee refunded- they have already paid this with Princess- they will need PROOF of this. With Eielson- they will have to walk back- to the lodge or see if Princess is still offering their after hours pick up. Unfortunately, if this is their first time there, they won't know way from being there. Take a look at the entrance map.

I completely disagree on your lack of hotel/car rental comment. Absolutely- this is available. However- if they are stuck on only staying at the Princess Lodge- then certainly that may be limited.

I assume that they are staying overnight....so what time to they leave the next day?

Typically Princess tours leave mid to late afternoon the next day. This makes it easy if someone wants to take an early shuttle (6 am or so) or TWT into the park and be back in time for the Princess bus.

It's not been disclosed the transit- problem is, the earliest the Eielson shuttle buses are scheduled to return is 3pm- and I definately know- this is an estimated time. Too tight of a timeframe for many cruisetour people, who don't want the responsibiltity of independent travel decisions and plans, requiring them to quickly get to their cruisetour point without wasting time. I see this over and over- comments that they "want" to get into the park, but when they find out what is involved, despite detailed accurate information- they back down and stick with the lacking tour they booked. It's rare people change anything.

It's really too bad and unfortunate to miss out on significant touring.

The TWT which is shorter- is more timely predicted. Not sure the schedule of the Toklat shuttle- which would be my only recommendation for the significant cost savings.

Archived