Oosterdam to Alaska in June

TxSandMom

Does this ship offer an enclosed pool?

What percentage of packing for an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in June should include WINTER CLOTHES like long pants / jeans / sweatshirts / winter jacket, hats, gloves, etc.? What about shorts / short-sleeved shirts?

On all HAL ships, the Lido has a retractable roof.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises including in June.

We always pack clothes that we can dress in layers. We take only 1 pr of bermudas per person. The weather can vary from from 50- 80 degrees -- we have expereinced it all. We take GorTex jackets that have zippered linings, hat and gloves and water proof shoes.

Since we are off the ship in the ports, we do not bother with swim suits.

We sailed Oosterdam Seattle to Seattle last June and had one of our best cruises ever..... and we've taken A LOT of cruises. :)

We were very fortunate with the weather and the five days we spent in Seattle pre/post cruise, we only needed our jackets one day. On the cruise, we had rain part of one day but it was mild and some days DH was able to sit outside at aft pool (wearing long pants) to enjoy some fresh air when we returned from our time ashore.

I brought gloves, hat for DH, scarf for me, hooded water resistent jackets and several pair of long pants for touring. I never wore my gloves though brought them with us the day we went to Mendenhall Glacier.

The day we were at Tracy Arm Fjord and able to go the whole way to see the Sawyer Glaciers, it was a little damp and cool for some of the time but very, very 'doable' to be outside for as long as you wished. We remained on our veranda most of the time and loved it. It was an amazing day.

Everyone's advice to bring layers of clothing is the best.

Be sure to bring at least one or tow lighter weight tops as you may want them in addition to the long sleeve layers.

Your top layer (jacket) should be waterPROOF, not water resistant, and hooded.

Definitely long pants, warm wool-blend socks, and I always recommend fleecies instead of sweatshirts. Fleecies fo me are warmer, lighter in weight, and squish into a suitcase very nicely. A pair of shorts just in case :)

Have you checked out the Alaska board here? What to bring is a major topic. And the theme seems to be - don't over pack.

Layers work for most of us, raincoats/jackets rather than umbrellas, fleece is popular and most don't seem to bother with hiking boots. A warm hat and gloves are a must. And I wear CuddleDuds on glacier days because they're soft and warm.

Relax and have fun. You probably have most of what you need in your closet or hiding around the house.

I like the WinterSilks long sleeve tops and pant liners. The silk is warm, they are so lightweight and wash and dry easily. http://www.wintersilks.com Style No. 003

I also use their glove liners. Style No. 022. Very lightweight layer providing a lot of warmth.

They are available for both men and women.

On all HAL ships, the Lido has a retractable roof.

Close, but not quite accurate. Not "all" HAL ships have a retractable roof.

The Prinsendam Lido does not have a roof at all, let alone retractable. It can get pretty cold and wet standing there waiting for a burger. :rolleyes:

I never saw snow look blue. When we first saw the vivid bright blue of the glaciers, I was spell bound and never imagined such existed in nature.

Then today, I looked at the freshly fallen Deep snow we got and I stood spellbound again. The snow was so heavy with water, freshly fallen and as I looked into it on my back porch, I saw that blue color. Just a small streak of it and only in certain spots but there was that 'glacier' blue. Surely it must have been evident in other snow we've had all my life living in New England but for our Oosterdam cruise to Alaska this summer, I never noticed it before. :)

How lucky were we to see such a vision as a glacier!!!! And from a cruise ship, no less.

Close, but not quite accurate. Not "all" HAL ships have a retractable roof.

The Prinsendam Lido does not have a roof at all, let alone retractable. It can get pretty cold and wet standing there waiting for a burger. :rolleyes:

Dang

I keep forgetting about the Prinsendam since that is the only present HAL ship that we have not sailed on.

For those who wear jeans in winter and don't want bulk, it is skin smooth and feels lovely against the skin. Gives warmth with luxury. Packs rolled in a tiny ball, gives no bulk on the body, slides under jeans/pants smoothly. The Silk Liner is Layer. Take it off when it gets warm and you can toss it in a sandwich size ziploc in your purse/tote/backpack. It's a Layering piece. ;) I am a walker and when walking in the cold of winter, it provides a wind barrier and warmth. If one isn't out in the elements walking or exploring etc, they wouldn't need it.

Try it; you just might like it.

Skip the cuddle duds..... ;)

Archived