tuxedo for formal night, buy or rent??

redhydra

Hi

i tried to see first if there was already a topic for this subject and i didn find one

i have a question about formal night, i have read from both here and cunard website that tuxedo are required for formal night and i would like to be compliant with this

as a cruiser who might only get one chance to do a ta once as i sail solo, thus more expensive

i am wondering, for those who arent regular cunard passenger, do you buy a tuxedo just for that ta crossing, is it worth it?? or should i see if i can rent one, either before goeing to the cruise, or on the ship (though i read that there is limited number of formal clothing available)

as for semi formal and casual elegant, i have no problem, i am well equiped, sport jacket, ties, long sleeved shirt, smart trouser and i can always borrow additional semi formal clothes from my dad as we both wear the same size

but i am not equipped for formal nights, or at lest, according to my research

thanks in advance

Hi

i tried to see first if there was already a topic for this subject and i didn find one

i have a question about formal night, i have read from both here and cunard website that tuxedo are required for formal night and i would like to be compliant with this

as a cruiser who might only get one chance to do a ta once as i sail solo, thus more expensive

i am wondering, for those who arent regular cunard passenger, do you buy a tuxedo just for that ta crossing, is it worth it?? or should i see if i can rent one, either before goeing to the cruise, or on the ship (though i read that there is limited number of formal clothing available)

as for semi formal and casual elegant, i have no problem, i am well equiped, sport jacket, ties, long sleeved shirt, smart trouser and i can always borrow additional semi formal clothes from my dad as we both wear the same size

but i am not equipped for formal nights, or at lest, according to my research

thanks in advance

While most men do wear tuxedos on formal night, a tux is not required. A dark business suit will be perfectly acceptable.

One of the problems with renting from somewhere near home is that you will probably be charged extra because you would have the tux with you for a week or more. When my husband first looked into renting a tux many years ago, the cost of a rental was about the same as a new tux. He bought one, and got more use from it than he expected.

If you know you won't need a tux again, but want one for the TA, then renting certainly is an option. If you want to rent from the ship, check how that works. I think, but others can tell you for sure, that if you give them your measurements in advance, they should be able to have a tux to fit you when you board.

thanks for the warning

because, not only i will gone for the whole ta crossing, but i am not coming directly home after the ta, will stay at least one week in uk with my friend

so the tuxedo will be out of use for the entire week

as for dark suit, i am well equiped on that side

if i dont buy a tuxedo, i might end up renting one from the ship, i always wanted to try one of these

If you shop around, you can find a tuxedo that will cost you far less than what Cunard will charge you to rent one. A dark suit will suffice on formal nights, but if you want to dress to the nines, I think that buying your own tuxedo would be the way to go. Even if you never sail on Cunard again, there's no telling when you might want to unleash the elegant inner you.

Can I hire formal wear?

Gentlemen can hire tuxedos and these can be reserved once on board (availability is limited). The cost of hiring a tuxedo ranges from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights. Additionally, other items of formal wear are available to hire. Please note prices are subject to change.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/Formal_Hire

Hi

If you have a very dark business suit, then I would suggest you get a white shirt with french cuffs, wear a bowtie to go with it, and you would feel perfectly in tune with all the real tuxes. On a crossing, there will be 3 formal nights when a tux is suggested, and if you really wish to splash out, then rent a tux onboard for just one night. The other formal nights, go with a straight business suit with tie, or as suggested, white shirt/cuffs with bowtie.

You'll look fine.

Can I hire formal wear?

Gentlemen can hire tuxedos and these can be reserved once on board (availability is limited). The cost of hiring a tuxedo ranges from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights. Additionally, other items of formal wear are available to hire. Please note prices are subject to change.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/Formal_Hire

:eek: Thats a lot of money to borrow a used tux, I am sure you could buy one for less. Of course you then need a formal shirt or shirts and bow tie. Even so I don't think it would cost $250 and you get to keep them for future use.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is if you wish to rent the Tuxedo Package you are automatically charged for the total number of formal nights on your voyage. The only option to try it out for one night is to pay the "individual items" price, of which even the most cursory calculation finds one nearly at the cost of purchase.

As my upcoming 22 nights on QM2 includes eight formal--and a quick inventory of my evening wear again reveals that much of it has magically become no longer my size--I will be shopping for a new tux from the fine habedashery of Monsieur Penney. For less than the cost of the formal night package it will accomodate me on both formal (cumberbund, studs and bow tie) and semi-formal (waistcoat and shiny long tie) evenings.

redhydra, I don't know about Montreal, but in Toronto we have discount places where you can buy a perfectly acceptable tux for way less than $250. They're polyester- sneer if you want, but they weigh almost nothing and you can roll them up in carryon without wrinkles.

Please be aware that many tuxedo rental establishments in both the US and Canada will sell you a perfectly decent used tuxedo at a very reasonable price. Considerably less than what you would pay to rent on board.

Please be aware that many tuxedo rental establishments in both the US and Canada will sell you a perfectly decent used tuxedo at a very reasonable price. Considerably less than what you would pay to rent on board.

Quite right - I just bought a used tuxedo at a rental store for $200 - including two vests, bow tie, and formal shirt. Looking forward to breaking it in on QUEEN ELIZABETH in March!

Archived