Verizon 100MB Data for $25 available for RCCL Cruises

Has anybody used Verizon's Global plan for 100MB of data for $25?It appears to be able to provide smartphone access for data (email, web) both at sea and in international ports but I have concerns about incurring unexpected charges. Leaving for trip on EOS next week. Thanks

Has anybody used Verizon's Global plan for 100MB of data for $25?It appears to be able to provide smartphone access for data (email, web) both at sea and in international ports but I have concerns about incurring unexpected charges. Leaving for trip on EOS next week. Thanks

I have used it for the past two cruises on Jewel and Radiance. Works good to keep the price down but most of the time when we were at sea I didn't receive data. I had a four day gap between Canada and Hawaii on Radiance. :(

Bill

I am using it right now and have been for the two weeks on our Brilliance b2b. Work great...no issues. It's 60.00 / month plus 25 / 100 MB.. They do prorate the monthly fee according to hire many days you actually have the services. I used it extensively for a work emails, and even connected to m my computer via the 3g hotspot. The speed on the phone was just fine. ...on the computer, not so much. You do need a global data capable phone (not all are). When you use your first 100mb, Verizon sends you a text to let you know that you will be charged another 25.

My total cost for data coverage for 16 days will be about 80.

Again, I basically only used it for email and Google chat with my office, with some limited internet use...no Facebook, surfing, etc.

It's a pretty good deal. And when you're just doing email on your phone, it's WAY faster and cheaper than buying the internet wireless package..especially on an older shop like Brilliance.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I am using it right now and have been for the two weeks on our Brilliance b2b. Work great...no issues. It's 60.00 / month plus 25 / 100 MB.. They do prorate the monthly fee according to hire many days you actually have the services. I used it extensively for a work emails, and even connected to m my computer via the 3g hotspot. The speed on the phone was just fine. ...on the computer, not so much. You do need a global data capable phone (not all are). When you use your first 100mb, Verizon sends you a text to let you know that you will be charged another 25.

Again, I basically only used it for email and Google chat with my office, with some limited internet use...no Facebook, surfing, etc.

It's a pretty good deal. And when you're just doing email on your phone, it's WAY faster and cheaper than buying the internet wireless package..especially on an older shop like Brilliance.

Sounds like a good alternative to the ship's wireless. I wish AT&T had a similar plan for cruise ships.

So, I assume you have to call Verizon to activate this? Is it different than the cellular at sea that you would typically use?

I dialed their 611 number before leaving and asked them to switch then did the same when I got back. When you call them, to get through to them and bypass their menu hit zero then hit zero again to get an operator. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

They didn't tell me anything about the $60! I thought it was just $25/100MB in addition to what your regular plan is.

I just added the Verizon international day awhile we where in New Zealand a couple of weeks ago and it was $20 per 100 mb, no other costs. Calls were $1.99 / min and text was like 20 cents and 50 cents for pictures.

If I saw anyone using their phone on a cruise I think I'd do them a favor and throw it overboard.

This is the second rude remark to someone about using a cell phone on a cruise. WOW! I am amazed that a cell phone on a ship with someone using it can get such a negative response. :( The last cruise we were on, my husband's sister was in ICU as we were leaving port. We used the WIFI to stay in touch in case we had to return home. Wonder how it would have been for my husband if someone had responded in such a manner. He was so concerned about his sister. Live and Let Live :)

If I saw anyone using their phone on a cruise I think I'd do them a favor and throw it overboard.

Well, maybe some people have to stay in touch at home and it really is not your concern why they are using their phone, is it? ;)

Well, maybe some people have to stay in touch at home and it really is not your concern why they are using their phone, is it? ;)

I think the poster was just trying to be humorous. A few of you are reading too much into this. Lighten up and don't be so sensitive.

Let's ask him/her. Stags14.........were you trying to be funny? Or would you walk up to a perfect stranger, take his/her phone and throw it overboard?

Actually while you are on the global plan the $25/100MB replaces your regular plan, you don't pay both.

My experience has been different, but it was vary hard to get consistent info from the VZW reps. They were friendly and tried to be helpful, but some just don't seem to have a great handle on global plans.

For what it's worth, I can tell you how VZW actually handled our plan last month.

We spent 4 days in Canada (driving from CT). We *did* pay for our regular (family) plan.

In addition, they added the $25 plan for 1 month/100MB of global data. There was no extra monthly charge. It worked out quite well for us. Had we gone over 100 MB of data, the plan would've renewed for another $25/100MB. It does not auto-renew, so you do not need to call and cancel at the end of your trip.

One better-informed rep cautioned me to be careful about cancelling the $25 data plan upon our return -- if we used more than 1/8th of the 100 MB. The amt of data included for $25 is pro-rated by the portion of a month that you keep the plan.

[For example, if you cancel the plan after half a month, you only have 50 MB of data included.}

We did not choose to buy the plan that offers a per min discount on calls because Canada (and most of the caribbean islands that I checked for next cruise) don't participate.

Your best bet for getting accurate info about any of this is to ask to be tranferred to the Global communications department (or some such name). I intend to do that before our April 18th Bermuda/Bahamas cruise.

I think the poster was just trying to be humorous. A few of you are reading too much into this. Lighten up and don't be so sensitive.

Let's ask him/her. Stags14.........were you trying to be funny? Or would you walk up to a perfect stranger, take his/her phone and throw it overboard?

I hope your right...cant figure the "tone" of a post sometimes :D

I hope your right...cant figure the "tone" of a post sometimes :D

I've always said that they next screaming baby that I come in contact with is getting a piece of duct tape across the lips. But I never actually acted on it.........lol.

Edited by Zigggypup

OK. I am almost ready to add this plan. So true about Verizon reps giving you different information. The one I had just now did not instill confidence - so I am going to wait and call back later.

One interesting thing he told me is that iMessages are included as data. That was the first time I had heard that, which would be wonderful since my daughter has an iPhone and we text all the time. Can anybody with any iPhone confirm that?

Thanks so much for all the great info - particularly about not canceling when I got home - which would have been my first instinct!

I've used the global data package from Verizon a few times now for cruises and land trips. I concur with what JaneStar posted with the possible exception of the statement that it does not auto-renew. I have been told by the Verizon reps that it does auto-renew if you don't cancel it. I've always canceled it so I can't say for certain whether it renews or not. I'll find out next month because my vacation starts and ends in different billing cycles I'll need the package for two months to cover the whole trip.

You can activate/cancel the plan online through Verizon's website if you don't want to speak to a rep. That's what I do now that I'm familiar with the plan. If it's the first time to use the plan, it's a good idea to speak with someone to (hopefully) get any questions resolved.

I also agree with PCWalton1 about data access problems onboard. My experience so far (HAL Zuiderdam, RC Liberty & Adventure, & X Silhouette) has been spotty coverage while at sea and usually 1G speeds when data is available. I have had good luck with the coverage in ports (using Droid 3 Global edition) getting 3G speeds with the exception of Cairo, where coverage was similar to shipboard (spotty & 1G when available).

OK. I am almost ready to add this plan. So true about Verizon reps giving you different information. The one I had just now did not instill confidence - so I am going to wait and call back later.

One interesting thing he told me is that iMessages are included as data. That was the first time I had heard that, which would be wonderful since my daughter has an iPhone and we text all the time. Can anybody with any iPhone confirm that?

Thanks so much for all the great info - particularly about not canceling when I got home - which would have been my first instinct!

YES--- iMessages count as data... you can talk back and forth all day and never be counted as a text message.. THat is one of the benefits... you have to use either the phone number or email address that is linked to the AppleID. You know this because when you go to "text" and enter a number, it will turn blue and should say iMesssage. If it doesnt, it will be sent as a text.

I have a Mac computer, iPad, and iPhone. My appleID is linked to both my email and phone number. So if anyone from an apple devise sends me an iMessage, it will go to all 3 of my devices. They can either use my phone number OR my email address.

YES--- iMessages count as data... you can talk back and forth all day and never be counted as a text message.. THat is one of the benefits... you have to use either the phone number or email address that is linked to the AppleID. You know this because when you go to "text" and enter a number, it will turn blue and should say iMesssage. If it doesnt, it will be sent as a text.

I have a Mac computer, iPad, and iPhone. My appleID is linked to both my email and phone number. So if anyone from an apple devise sends me an iMessage, it will go to all 3 of my devices. They can either use my phone number OR my email address.

This is how it's worked for me, too.

iMessages to a single individual definitely use data rather than cell service. When we were in Turks & Caicos, I only had wifi and was able to use iMessage.

The thing that you should be careful about is sending group messages. Sometimes they switch from iMessage to SMS (I think that's what it's called). I don't know if that is only when one person in the group is not on a number linked to an AppleID. I had some group messages in TCI that did not go through because they switched away from iMessage. They were only to family members on Apple devices, but it's possible I used a non-iMessage number for one of them.

Jane