Verizon 100MB Data for $25 available for RCCL Cruises

Someone asked me last week at work, "why do you enjoy cruises so much?" and I responded with, "I get to leave my phone off for a week"

That counts for us too. Especially hubby. His boss will call him no matter where he is. EXCEPT when we're cruising. :D

The only time we would turn this on would be in case of emergency when we're in port (thankfully that's never happened and pray it never does).

Two questions about this global option though. A-If you are grandfathered in for the unlimited data package, do you still need to do this? And B- If you do need to do this and then 'shut it off'/'revert back, will you will go back to the grandfathered unlimited? Has anything tried this and confirmed it worked?

Erika

That counts for us too. Especially hubby. His boss will call him no matter where he is. EXCEPT when we're cruising. :D

The only time we would turn this on would be in case of emergency when we're in port (thankfully that's never happened and pray it never does).

Two questions about this global option though. A-If you are grandfathered in for the unlimited data package, do you still need to do this? And B- If you do need to do this and then 'shut it off'/'revert back, will you will go back to the grandfathered unlimited? Has anything tried this and confirmed it worked?

Erika

Just called Verizon and I can confirm it is $25 for 100MB (and $10 for each additional 100MB). There is no need to change plans, as this is just a feature that is added to your account. The person I talked to suggested calling the day before we leave to add it, and call as soon as I get back to cancel it.

Hope this helps!

If I saw anyone using their phone on a cruise I think I'd do them a favor and throw it overboard.

We cruise 6-8 times a year and one reason we can is that we can keep up with business ( and family) via Internet or phone. We are not “on vacation” but conducting important business from wherever this ship happens to be that day. Often our colleagues or clients don’t know we are of the town (or the country) and that is the way we want it.

Perhaps the person on the phone is checking in on an ill family member, speaking to young children, etc.

It is so wonderful that technology allows anyone to “be in touch ” if they desire.

Why would other folks care if one had to talk on a phone or use the internet?

M

That was one of the many questions I asked. I am also have unlimited data and wanted to make sure it would not change my plan when I returned. They said it would not. I have enjoyed being untethered from my devices on previous cruises, but for some reason (cruising for the first time without my daughter, leaving my 94 year old dad at home), I feel I would like to have the option to check in on things from time to time. Thanks everyone. Did not realize I was starting a controversial thread!

Erika

• 9 months later...
That was one of the many questions I asked. I am also have unlimited data and wanted to make sure it would not change my plan when I returned. They said it would not. I have enjoyed being untethered from my devices on previous cruises, but for some reason (cruising for the first time without my daughter, leaving my 94 year old dad at home), I feel I would like to have the option to check in on things from time to time. Thanks everyone. Did not realize I was starting a controversial thread!

So to answer your question (several months later), I used this plan in August and did not lose my unlimited data.

One thing I would suggest is turning it on in advance of your trip and leaving it on the month, unless you're sure you will use a small amount of data (or will use a larger enough amount so you'd go over the initial 100mb, anyway). What happened to me was that I was planning to only use 100mb of data and expected to only be charged $25. I paid for a half month of the plan, and then got charged an extra $25 for the "next" 100mb since I only had ~50mb as part of my pro-rated month. I contacted Verizon Wireless CS and got them to credit me back most of what I paid for the partial month.

Someone on our cruise turned the plan off at the end of his billing period because he did not want to pay for another full month (obviously not realizing that it would be pro-rated as well so there was no real reason to shut it off early). I'll bet he paid a bundle in data charges for the period when he was off the plan. I guess the pro-rating would be an issue for a cruise that spanned your billing period as well. So watch your bill after the cruise and if you feel that you were charged more than you should have been (or were expecting) then contact CS and ask them to adjust it.

I had no problem with data speed on my cruise (Celebrity Constellation in Europe). Data speed seemed reasonable and I'm sure it was faster than the ship's Internet would have been (and it's nice that you use the same bucket of data on the ship).

Edited by MisterBill99

I was on a western med cruise in Sept. I signed for a discounted package of call time with Verizon wireless. Told them exactly which ports I was visiting, they sent me an email with dialing instructions from each port. Also got a text when we arrived in each port with dialing instructions. That was all great. I also signed up for the $25 data plan everyone's referring to. When I got home and got my next bill, I noticed there was approx. $125 charge for using data in Casablanca. Verizon told me that Casablanca did not participate in this plan, and I had to pay them for that usage. I'm sure they never told me this when I signed up for the plan. I just checked e-mail 4-5 times and the stock market. I would never have done this had I been aware of the high rates. The moral of the story here is to verify all the ports you will be visiting with Verizon to make sure the data plan works there.

Does anyone know how this would work on a family share plan? Would all of the phones on the plan be able to access the 100MB, or would each of use have to pay $25?

When I called Verizon they said it was per line. This past cruise we just switched my phone and left my wife's turned off in her bag for emergencies.

Can anyone that used this Verizon plan with an IPhone please share what settings should be.. Data off, voice roaming on etc.. This is where I get confused as someone said that apps can eat this a,mount of data up very quickly.

Please,share what settings worked best for you..Thanks

Can anyone that used this Verizon plan with an IPhone please share what settings should be.. Data off, voice roaming on etc.. This is where I get confused as someone said that apps can eat this a,mount of data up very quickly.

Please,share what settings worked best for you..Thanks

If you purchase this plan to get 100MB for data, then you would have to keep your data turned on in order to use it. Apps can still use up the data. All I can suggest is to disable cellular data for those apps you don't intend to use.

Just off 3 weeks of RCCL cruises in the Eastern and Western Caribbean. Turned on the 100mb of data international data plan on the first day of our monthly cycle. Turned off all data to our apps except for e-mail.

We checked our e-mail about 3 times every day and used about 90mb of data between our 2 e-mail accounts in 3 weeks.

On the last day of our monthly cycle, we unsubscribed the 100mb of data plan for future months.

The plan seems to work the best if you turn it on the 1st day of your plan and turn it off on the last day - otherwise t appears to pro-rate the 100mb of data.