Istanbul ~ Theodosian Wall

I'm not sure I can vouch for the "best" location, but I did what Rick Steves recoommends and spent a half day visiting Chora Church (using a taxi to get there) and then walking along the walls, which are well-preserved near there. You can follow them for quite a distance (maybe a couple of miles), and there are places you can even climb up onto them. I didn't go all the way to the end of his tour, which continues to Yedikule fort (I believe that's the one; I am too lazy to go look up my book at the moment...) Once I got to the area where there is quite a lot of traffic, I turned back and retraced my steps. I picked up a taxi back at Chora church (there always seem to be some there, either waiting for a fare or dropping off tourists).

You'd have to take a taxi to do this, but it does make a nice half-day; probably best for those who've been to Istanbul previously or who are there for more than a day.

Thanks Cruisemom. In which book did Rick Steves describe this walk/ Chora church visit (I am assuming it is a book)?

Again, only one day via cruise ship (like last trip) but I really want to see the walls this time.

Thanks again!

jill

Thanks Cruisemom. In which book did Rick Steves describe this walk/ Chora church visit (I am assuming it is a book)?

Again, only one day via cruise ship (like last trip) but I really want to see the walls this time.

Thanks again!

jill

Yes, it's his Istanbul guide -- very well done (although he doesn't cover one of my favorite spots, the Great Palace Mosaics museum....!)

Archived