Why you should fly in a day early....

How sad, I do hope she made it on time. I always fly in the day before and plan to stay an extra day after coming back. I was on Carnival Legend in December and we got fogged in before making it back to port. We were 10 hours late docking and people were missing their flights and horror stories of being charged astronomical prices to change their schedules. It was awful. The price of a hotel is a lot cheaper not to mention the stress level. :D

Glad to hear they made it.

That being said we are taking our chances on a same day flight for our next cruise. We have the air through the cruise line, and nearly all ports are in California, so we could drive to our next port if necessary.

Wow,what a story! I had tears in my eyes when I read they made it.

I just know myself, I accept that inner worrying voice. Maybe it will be ok to fly in the same day, for many it is. I know that I will be sawing off my nails worrying about everything that could and will happen en route so no same day flights for me. It could be something stupid like the time we were all on the plane and the pilots couldn't start it for an hour! A freakin' hour then sent for maintenance to come and start it-another 30 minutes.. ... one and a half hours to start the plane. I chose to go to sleep before take off rather than wonder if we'd make it off the ground...........:eek:

No cruise just a crappy trip to Paris.....:D

We have always flown in at least a day early prior to a cruise, not only to be sure there aren't any problems getting to the ship but also because we like to tour the city the day before and board nice and relaxed - ready to enjoy our vacation.

It became very evident that we should do that when we experienced a 12 hour delay getting to FLL one time.

My son's girlfriend booked Caribbean Princess to depart today at 4pm. The left Minneapolis this morning at 7am and had a 2 hour layover on their trip. She felt confident they would make the ship being we are just having rain her in MN today.

The plane made an emergency landing in Orlando. They have just been allowed to get off the plane. With 2 hours until the ship leaves, not time to do the drive and no other flights available. Didn't book airfare with the cruiseline, no cruise insurance. She called Princess and of course they said "So sad, too bad". First chance to join the ship is Wednesday. Don't know yet if that's what they'll do or just come home.

So sad.

I fly in a day early just to avoid that kind of a situation.

We always head to the departure city a minimum of three days early. Sure, you're going to spend money on a hotel. We consider it a cheap form of insurance.

And for those of us that live where there is snow in winter, it means even more to get there early. Our first cruise, we flew in the night before, last flight out of MSP for the day (not a good move, but it worked). Our second cruise the flight out of MSP was cancelled due to a fire on the concourse so our flight couldn't land. Learned the value of flying in a day early.

Now we take the first flight out to the departure city the morning before the cruise - 2 days if it's a city we haven't been to or want to see more of. At this point we can only do 7 - 10 day cruises because we add in extra days in front to be sure we can make the cruise.

Somehow, flying home never gets that kind of priority. We'll stay over in a city for 1 night after the cruise and fly home on Sunday. Guess it doesn't matter to me if I don't make it back for work on Monday :eek: - but I don't have to worry about not making my flight because of immigration issues.

I'm glad that I booked a fliht on march 31st to Ft Lauderdale and reserved a night at a cheap hotel (Red Carpet Inn Airport/Cruiseport) they offer free shuttle to the port but if I understand a load of people prefer to take a cab to avoid risks of loosing their luggages so I may grab a cab for safety of my luggage.

One thing that could happen would be a major snow storm on march 31st I really doubt it could happen, I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm stressed because I couldn't afford to pay my cruise twice more to have insurance in case of a problem, those people that can afford to pay a total insurance on their vacations are really lucky to be able to do so. I'll be sure to take medical insurance just in case but for the rest, I hope I'll be lucky.

If you are on a closed loop cruise that leaves from LA or SF, you probably cannot board the next day in another California port. The reason being that you cannot sail between two different US cities.

David

Glad they made it! Our first cruise we simply didn't think about this and flew in same day. Had zero issues BUT I remember I was tired from the flight and didn't get to enjoy myself as much.

We always fly a day early. I'm lucky in that I travel for business now quite a bit and I save and use my hotel points for our pre-cruise stay. Haven't had to pay for that hotel in a number of years.

<snip>

One thing that could happen would be a major snow storm on march 31st I really doubt it could happen, I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm stressed because I couldn't afford to pay my cruise twice more to have insurance in case of a problem, those people that can afford to pay a total insurance on their vacations are really lucky to be able to do so. I'll be sure to take medical insurance just in case but for the rest, I hope I'll be lucky.

I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Insurance is not the same price as the cruise. I always buy it for my cruise. Luck has nothing to do with it. To me, it just prudent. That may not be the case for you.

I'm glad that I booked a fliht on march 31st to Ft Lauderdale and reserved a night at a cheap hotel (Red Carpet Inn Airport/Cruiseport) they offer free shuttle to the port but if I understand a load of people prefer to take a cab to avoid risks of loosing their luggages so I may grab a cab for safety of my luggage.

Winter often takes a last kick at the can at the end of March. Insurance is just common sense.

Archived