Why you should fly in a day early....

I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Insurance is not the same price as the cruise. I always buy it for my cruise. Luck has nothing to do with it. To me, it just prudent. That may not be the case for you.

It can be that expensive, Lorene. With my DH's pre-existing conditions, and our ages (it gets more expensive with every "milestone" birthday!) - the insurance is pretty much another cruise fare:eek:

Glad they made it! Our first cruise we simply didn't think about this and flew in same day. Had zero issues BUT I remember I was tired from the flight and didn't get to enjoy myself as much.

We always fly a day early. I'm lucky in that I travel for business now quite a bit and I save and use my hotel points for our pre-cruise stay. Haven't had to pay for that hotel in a number of years.

Years ago when we were young and healthy and had dirrect flights, we never bought insurance.

Boy are we doing things differently now.

It can be that expensive, Lorene. With my DH's pre-existing conditions, and our ages (it gets more expensive with every "milestone" birthday!) - the insurance is pretty much another cruise fare:eek:

Yes, I understand that. That particular poster said they had medical insurance, they were talking about cancellation and delay from the sounds of it. That is why I'm confused. I would never leave the country without medical insurance because I don't want to lose everything I have to pay medical bills. Others many feel differently.

Just to clarify, I always grab a medical insurance when I travel for more than a week out of the country, you never know when you could need it. The insurance I was referring to is the cancellation one which is really highly overpriced IMHO.

Yes, I understand that. That particular poster said they had medical insurance, they were talking about cancellation and delay from the sounds of it. That is why I'm confused. I would never leave the country without medical insurance because I don't want to lose everything I have to pay medical bills. Others many feel differently.

Ahh, I see. We always get the "full meal deal" - better to be safe than sorry;)

Just to clarify, I always grab a medical insurance when I travel for more than a week out of the country, you never know when you could need it. The insurance I was referring to is the cancellation one which is really highly overpriced IMHO.

I'm paying $2000 for my upcoming cruise on Princess. I think that my cancellation/delay was around $150. The covers my $500 flight too. You must be getting ripped off royalty if it's the same price as your cruise. Usually it's based on what you pay for the cruise.

Unfortunately for me, I can't afford that, already have to pay 71$ for medical insurance for the whole 21 days. Its a good thing that I've never had to cancel a trip yet, I'm in good health and pray god to never have any issues anywhere.

Unfortunately for me, I can't afford that, already have to pay 71$ for medical insurance for the whole 21 days. Its a good thing that I've never had to cancel a trip yet, I'm in good health and pray god to never have any issues anywhere.

That's certainly your decision and one that works for you and that's great. You did say cancellation/delay was the same price as the cruise. Surely you paid more then $100 for the cruise. Correct?

For this particular cruise I had been told it was around 400$ each for insurance for the whole cruise for every thing including medical, that mean 800$ less to spend on the cruise and lot less tips for the employees. I take the risk and had no problems yet.

My in-laws always look at me kind of funny when I talk about flying-in a day early and buying insurance.

This year the flew in on the day of departure to FLL from Buffalo. No snow, but high winds. When they arrived at the airport in Buffalo, all the power was off. They made it, but the stress convinced them to never do it again. Lesson learned.

We had a hard time flying to Seattle from Houston last year. In the end, we were glad we had 2 days pre-cruise.

With all the TSA cutbacks and airline consolidations, it pays to be cautious.

B

For this particular cruise I had been told it was around 400$ each for insurance for the whole cruise for every thing including medical, that mean 800$ less to spend on the cruise and lot less tips for the employees. I take the risk and had no problems yet.

That is very high considering your medical is $71. I've had very few problems before my last cruise, then I got 20 years worth on the last cruise. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just saying just because you've been lucky before it doesn't mean it will always be that way.

And for those of us that live where there is snow in winter, it means even more to get there early. Our first cruise, we flew in the night before, last flight out of MSP for the day (not a good move, but it worked). Our second cruise the flight out of MSP was cancelled due to a fire on the concourse so our flight couldn't land. Learned the value of flying in a day early.

We too, fly out of winter weather. I'm not about to risk waving goodbye to the ship as it sails away.

We used to use the cruiselines air, which is always bad connections. One time I paid for an upgrade and picked a better flight, we tied with another couple as the last to board.

Gov't rules imposed since then would make that trip a disaster!

The last few cruises we go early and book our own flights.

My medical is thru my employer. I get the non medical.

So miss those perks that went with being employed! Since retirement, our medical doesn't even cover us for out-of-province, let alone out of the country:eek: And with my DH's penchant for illness or accident when travelling, good insurance is imperative.

This comes under the heading of "live and learn!" We live in Tampa, and I would be hesitant to drive over to FLL (about 4-1/2 hours) on the day of departure in case car problems developed.

I'm with you Tampa Girl. We are in Clearwater for the winter and cruised out of FLL on Feb 2. We drove over on Feb 1 and stayed the night - just in case of car problems!!! Worked well.

We are however looking at cruising out of Tampa next year instead.

THREE ALWAYS:

1) Always a day early

2) Always passport

3) Always insurance

It's the price to pay for peace of mind and an enjoyable cruise.

In the ideal world yes to "always a day early" but in the real world sometimes its just not possible (work, family, etc). In that case, there are some steps you can take to move the odds:

1. Book your air through the cruise line. If you are delayed, its the cruise line's responsibility to get you to the next port. Otherwise, you'll need to pay for hotels, flights, etc. Also, in many cases, a rep. from the cruise line can meet you at the airport to help you expedite through baggage, etc.

2. Take the earliest flight out possible.

3. If possible, only take a non-stop flight (this also increases the odds of your luggage arriving at your destination with you)

3. Pack early in case you do have to fly out a few days early at the last minute due to weather.

4. Keep an eye on the weather at both your departure and arrival airports - depending on the time of year.

Yes, purchase travel interruption insurance that includes your air (not just the cruise) and bring your passport!

Archived